Summer 2017 transfer window or, waiting for Godot

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
You had a lot more sense back when you were more negative. Do you genuinely believe I expect 200m spending 3 weeks into the window? I'd just like to see deals for the likes of Sessegnon go through, when it's obvious we're in for him.
Also, do you think we're relegated to shopping only from league 1? Of course we can afford the likes of Barkley and Lemar.

Sessegnon fits in with our philosophy along with the likes of Lemar and Barkley. Barkley's pricing might be restrictive though.

You had a lot more sense back when you were more negative. Do you genuinely believe I expect 200m spending 3 weeks into the window? I'd just like to see deals for the likes of Sessegnon go through, when it's obvious we're in for him.
Also, do you think we're relegated to shopping only from league 1? Of course we can afford the likes of Barkley and Lemar.

The club have earned my trust that's all. If we deem a target worthy of the asking price then so be it. If we don't, then so be it.
I genuinely don't care if we sign nobody....some people are ready to jump off a bridge and it's not even July yet.

People on the internet fretting about signings they will have written off by October just make me laugh to be honest.

As for the 200M well yes, you basically want every single player we are linked with....what shall we pay for them? Shirt buttons?

The club have earned my trust that's all. If we deem a target worthy of the asking price then so be it. If we don't, then so be it.
I genuinely don't care if we sign nobody....some people are ready to jump off a bridge and it's not even July yet.

People on the internet fretting about signings they will have written off by October just make me laugh to be honest.
Happy to keep team we have got intact, we are a team which are evolving not devolving!

I don't even know where we'd spend £200,000,000.

What position?
3059211_Tottenham-Hotspur_new-stadium-development_7.jpg

I don't even know where we'd spend £200,000,000.

What position?
Oh there's always room for improvement. If there wasn't we'd be winning the champions league at a canter. But of course it ain't happening. You don't shop for top tier players if you're only offering third tier wages. But as Sammy says, the thought of it gets me quite firm.

Go for one absolute elite player to add to the attacking mix... And chuck the rest at the existing wage/bonus pot.

Anyone in particular? Who would they replace?

Oh there's always room for improvement. If there wasn't we'd be winning the champions league at a canter. But of course it ain't happening. You don't shop for top tier players if you're only offering third tier wages. But as Sammy says, the thought of it gets me quite firm.

I think our depth can be improved. But you can improve that with £50,000,000 maximum. Onomah is likely to get more game time this season too. Lemar and Sessegnon would cost a combined £40,000,000. That's great depth considering Lemar can play anywhere across the front three.

GK - Lloris,Vorm,McGee

RB - Walker, Trippier, KWP
CB - Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Wimmer, Carter-Vickers, Dier, Davies
LB - Rose, Sessegnon, Davies, KWP

CM - Wanyama, Dembele, Dier, Winks, Onomah, Alli
RW - Son, Lemar, Lamela, Eriksen, N'Koudou, Edwards
LW - Eriksen, Lemar, Lamela, N'Koudou, Son
AM - Alli, Eriksen, Lamela, Lemar

ST - Kane, Janssen, Son

--

Even if we then go with 3 at the back, you have potentially 5 or so players fighting for the two behind Kane.

If Spurs said we were going to spend 200M this window, Dane would cum in his pants.

Personally I'd see it as another period of transition and upheaval coming our way
If we needed a 200mil improvement on our team I'd be very fucking worried. That's City manouvering. What we need is streamlining. Bringing in a few players that will make this snowballing team into the European giants that they can be. The maturation of the side alone may be enough but 1-2 real good players and we're very, very good.

As you say, 200mil suggest a revamp. We do not need that.

Anyone in particular? Who would they replace?

Names aren't important to me as I'm merely reflecting on the notion that we 'couldnt' do good with that kinda kitty.

Like I say, id go for an AM... Based upon the idea of 4321 I'd play Deli, CE & 'X', this would push Son (Harsh but he may be waving goodbye in 2 years anyway) & Lamela (full recovery?) further whilst still keeping Dele & CE AND the new man on their toes in view of any potential 3421 action.

"Who?" becomes more of a question of who Poch felt had the right mentality to not 'upset the apple cart'... Good attitude would be key.... Not all players are absolute ego-monsters like CR7.

Out? That's easy....

Sissoko, GKN, N'jie, Jansen (happy for him to stay but in this fantasy kitty world keeping him would a complete waste).... Plenty of squad spots available for the right player.

A bonafide first team injection such as this would elevate our overall depth so a natural trim based on pecking order from the bottom up.

Don't get me wrong, I love what we have (hold) right now (I can't see how we can expect a bigger coup than keeping KW this window) AND how we're building it, but I whole heartedly reject any creeping complacency about natural growth alone steming the tide of the twice annual spending going on all around us (not just in terms of acquisitions but also in terms of the disruption other teams activity often causes)....

I think our depth can be improved. But you can improve that with £50,000,000 maximum. Onomah is likely to get more game time this season too. Lemar and Sessegnon would cost a combined £40,000,000. That's great depth considering Lemar can play anywhere across the front three.

You think when it comes to the crunch Lemar only goes for the suggested £25m?

....Got "Chelsea(or similar) swoop with late 40m bid to derail Spurs transfer" (to boulster their bench) written all over it IMO.

Last edited:
You think when it comes to the crunch Lemar only goes for the suggested £25m?

....Got "Chelsea(or similar) swoop with late 40m bid to derail Spurs transfer" (to boukster their bench) written all over it IMO.

That's his release clause, so I imagine that's what he'd go for, yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom