Has money ruined football?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I loved the FA Cup as a kid, but money has meant more focus on Champions League qualification etc etc.
I'm stating the obvious here though.

It didn't / doesn't need to be that way though - the FA just need to make the Cup prestigious by offering serious prize money.........who in their right mind is going to try to win the FA Cup for £2m prize money when ever place higher in the PL earns you more? Let alone thinking about the difference between being in/out of Europe or the PL altogether.

no, the modern game is the most accessible it's ever been. i can watch every game now a days which in the 80s was a pipe dream.

if you think about it, maybe this is one of the reasons the fa cup was a big deal; it was accessible?

my personal gripe is the way the fa allows our english heritage to be sold to international billionaire playboys. say what you will about levy/lewis (EN), but at least they're spurs fans. are henry (US), the glazers (US), mansour (UAE), kroenke (US) or abramovich (RU) the same?

No. Not at all.

Money will attract predators - agents etc- but the fact it is there is great.

Working class kids with absolutely nothing can become multi millionaires. The truly talented will be set for life if they don't spunk all their cash. And so will Kyle Walker.

Can the same be said of players during the last century? Jimmy Greaves.....Gazza..... Ledley? Anyone begrudge them being set for life and then some.

I've been involved in lower league football the last few years. Passion, commitment and the thirst for knowledge are all there. But not the money. Just people who love football. And spend ridiculous amounts of time volunteering for nothing else but the love of football.
But maybe if they were billionaires they would buy a club and buy expensive footballers....... who knows?

Fact is billionaires can spend their money how they want. Right now premiership football is popular and maybe one day that bubble will burst.

But we all get a choice what to do with our time and money.

Like everything there is a balance needed here.

It's ruined lots of aspects, those mentioned.

But where would our stadia be today without the money? Most would be shit holes by now, maybe many more clubs bankrupt too?

It's not the money per se, it's the greed that went with it all.

Personally, things that have ruined football more than the money:

Social media interaction with players and fans

FM

Dogshit pundits and journalists

People judging games on heat maps and ridiculous stats compilations

Pink boots and tattoos

Crap hairstyles

Crap players being called world class

In answer, no but it has made players more detached from reality, some fans lost in expectation and the notion of quality a diluted inconsequence.

Football can be a great sport and a great watch. Its theatre is arguably unrivalled as far as sport is concerned as a constant but if it is not careful its popularity will be its undoing.

Money has ruined football in that you can't watch games for a reasonable price in the UK. OK, the clubs get the money and that enables them to buy better players, but it's the fans that have to pay and the cost is prohibitive nowadays. I'd be willing to pay a reasonable amount but it just costs so so much now that it's impossible to afford. For along time tickets have been expensive, but now you cant afford the tickets or the tv.

Cap wages at £100,000, transfers at £20 million and force clubs to have 50% home grown stars. Obviously you can't roll something like that put overnight, maybe 3-4 years.

If some foreign stars leave, fuck em, it will mean a league where you can no longer buy the title, you have to develop players for the national team and far better link between the fans and the club and with less wage pressures the clubs won't need to ask for such high ticket prices.

Money doesn't have to ruin football the way it has with Chavs and City. We won't do it of course because no one would have the balls to.

The Rose thread over on the other side plus the Walker situation has highlighted the the title of this thread! Has money ruined football? It's certainly a very big issue as far as the players are concerned! You can defend the two players mentioned all you like but the be all and end all is money as far as they two are concerned,who they play for is irrelevant as long as who ever it is pays the most! Fans hope for loyalty,no chance they can bang on about CL football both had it,international football both had it,regular first team football both had it! Still not enough so what was left? Cold hard cash simple as that...but rather than be honest especially Rose they come out we all this shit and it leaves a bad taste,very bad you get to the point where you think fuck it,why bother! And it's all down to money!

When money is used as a force for evil then it corrupts. Yes of course some things have been improved since the game has got richer, but not so sure that it balances out the bad.

Never understood why the average fan is allowed to spend all his money for "his" club, but not the owners. I'd rather have owners spending money than pulling it out. Better the money comes from a bank in Qatar than from increased season ticket prices.

Cap wages at £100,000, transfers at £20 million and force clubs to have 50% home grown stars. Obviously you can't roll something like that put overnight, maybe 3-4 years.

What happens with the rest of the money? Goes into the owners pockets? Why is it ok for rich billionaires to make more and more money, but not for the players?

People's greed has spoilt things. When a player can say with straight face after not being playing for 7 months that £65k per week is not enough for him, then that says it all.

What happens with the rest of the money? Goes into the owners pockets? Why is it ok for rich billionaires to make more and more money, but not for the players?

How about reasonable ticket prices, reasonable shirt prices etc, it doesn't have to be for either billionaires or players.

Yes it has, the soul is gone. I turned down a season ticket this year, and I'm seriously considering dropping my membership all together.

If some foreign stars leave, fuck em, it will mean a league where you can no longer buy the title, you have to develop players for the national team and far better link between the fans and the club and with less wage pressures the clubs won't need to ask for such high ticket prices.

Money doesn't have to ruin football the way it has with Chavs and City. We won't do it of course because no one would have the balls to.
You know me, Tomo, i’ve got time for market intervention

Back
Top Bottom