Has money ruined football?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yes. The negatives far outweigh the positives.

Expensive TV subscriptions
Meaning the big clubs are protected financially to preserve the ratings
Match day tickets are expensive
Footballers salaries in the top flight are obscene. I don't blame the players but their is something wrong with society where we can pay someone that amount of money while the NHS can't afford cancer battling drugs
Most football pundits and analysts are absolute morons
Games get moved about to suit the TV powers with no regards to supporters
Players cheating
Commentators afraid to challenge the cheating
Matches being hyped up beyond all proportion
Lazy young English players being paid too much when they have achieved nothing
The national team suffering as a result
Football pundits moaning at the national team but then getting back into the world's most exciting league every August
The devaluing of the FA cup
Pop stars muscling in on the game purely for their own benefit
Advertising betting companies
Corrupt FIFA awarding world cups to countries with atrocious human rights records where the summer temperature is over 40 degrees
The gentrification of football stadiums
Mk Dons
Wembley stadium and it's sucking up to everything corporate

Riddle me this: in the rather popular PC game, Football Manager, hacking the game to enable infinite funds is considered to be cheating. Why then is it labelled cheating in something as insignificant as a video game yet perfectly acceptable in a real life sport?

Yes. The negatives far outweigh the positives.

Expensive TV subscriptions
Meaning the big clubs are protected financially to preserve the ratings
Match day tickets are expensive
Footballers salaries in the top flight are obscene. I don't blame the players but their is something wrong with society where we can pay someone that amount of money while the NHS can't afford cancer battling drugs
Most football pundits and analysts are absolute morons
Games get moved about to suit the TV powers with no regards to supporters
Players cheating
Commentators afraid to challenge the cheating
Matches being hyped up beyond all proportion
Lazy young English players being paid too much when they have achieved nothing
The national team suffering as a result
Football pundits moaning at the national team but then getting back into the world's most exciting league every August
The devaluing of the FA cup
Pop stars muscling in on the game purely for their own benefit
Advertising betting companies
Corrupt FIFA awarding world cups to countries with atrocious human rights records where the summer temperature is over 40 degrees
The gentrification of football stadiums
Mk Dons
Wembley stadium and it's sucking up to everything corporate
Woolwich
Agents - Scum. Many are in the pockets of managers, club owners etc. The managers know if the kid will get offered a professional contract with the club, "they" (club, manager, mysterious parties) offer a contract (£20kpw) he will tip off "his man" who will destabilise the relationship with the player and current agent/manager usually a parent. Within days of new agent representing the player the new contract is then presented, makes him look like a genius, but he's never seen the lad play, massive scam that is known about and backs turned because everyone has a cut somewhere.
Third party ownership - effectively slavery
Nike or Adidas athletes - heavily suspect they are now becoming involved in the movement of player transfers - e.g. Pogba.
You mention Betting companies - Spot on. But it goes deeper, they are the number one source of income (sponsorship/advertising/partnering) in the game. The press/media who I would want to be impartial, are also dependent upon their revenue, they are unlikely to investigate them if they are paid by them, this even goes down to a reporter level, many write or do VLOG's for their sites i.e. get paid.........everyone is now dependant on their revenue.

Personally - I don't care about the amount of money in the game. It's a professional sport after all. But the lack of appropriate governance that exists allows for scam, upon scam upon scam. There is no will or desire to address it within the governing bodies.

Last edited:
Yes or no? Depending on how old you are will dictate your answer! My answer is yes, the actual playing of football comes way down the list of priorities merchandise,money,tv,agents,wages,advertising seem to be far more important....thoughts

No.

I think football was worse in the 80's and early 90's, when it was less about money. Look at all the horrific things that went on (how fans got treated, corruption, poor standards causing deaths etc.). Just my opinion and have plucked these out of the top of my head, from my general feeling on modern football,

I'll make my point in a bullet list, just for SausageVince SausageVince
  • The money aspect gets countries more 'interested' in developing their own football (China, for example). Getting the world interested in a common sport is good for relations imo.
  • The high-profile nature has helped to bring in better standards for fans. I'm pretty sure, on last check, that the ticket prices are hugely behind inflation. (I'm sure I remember it being £30 a ticket in the 90's?)
  • It has probably kept hundreds of clubs alive with investment from transfers and, in the case of Fulham/QPR, deluded owners with more money than sense.
  • It's slowly providing more for society, with the interaction the PL makes with schools and what not
  • It's given kids an active, health sport to fantasise over, in a time where almost everything else is on screens indoors. I don't think kids would be as interested without the money/fame dilution.
  • For UK football, we must have raked in some taxes from the fanciful billionaires.
  • If there was no money in football, John Thomas would have nothing to talk about.
  • Oh, and it gives people something obvious to fucking whinge about when going on blindly about how much soldiers get paid.

£400k a week!? 🤦🏻‍♂️

This is what boils my piss the most about football. 400k for what? he has put in very few(if any) world class performances since joining United. Paying all these fuckwits overly ridiculous wages trickles down into the fans wallets. Someone has to pay for it. Ticket prices go up, TV subscriptions go up, replica shirts go up. Makes me wanna puke when I hear Hudson-odoi and Abraham demanding over 100k before they've even begun to establish themselves as first team players.
I was never a fan of salary caps but I think they may be the only way to save the game long term. Is 150k not enough for any to get by on?
I believe the obscene wages have destroyed the motivation to succeed for most players. These guys are getting 5 year contracts at 100k per week when they are in their early twenties or sometimes younger. They are set up for life, they don't have to keep pushing themselves. Look at Dele for a prime example. He has enough in the bank to not be particularly bothered about playing the game.
It will effect the manager quality down the road. The players won't need to keep working when retired so won't bother getting into management. Then you need to hire someone like Graham potter, wondering will players be happy to play for a smaller name manager.
Every sport that has been removed from free to air broadcast has suffered from a lack of interest from younger audiences, cricket/F1/golf etc. Football is perhaps less effected but it will be damaged in the long term. Myself and many others can't or won't pay the obscene TV subscription costs, therefore our kids aren't being exposed to the game. Kids are buying into player brands rather than supporting clubs. BT trying to sell up should be a wake up call to football from top to bottom that some sustainable changes are needed before the game implodes for good

Last edited:
7 teams have won a PL title since it started, two are complete outliers in Blackburn and Leicester. Meanwhile 15 different NFL teams have won a Super Bowl since the salary cap was implemented and 14 MLB teams have won a World Series since the Luxury Tax was introduced. A salary cap would absolutely make things more competitive. That won't get a team over the hump if the club has bad owners, but it would go a long way in preventing teams from stock piling talent. I mean fucking City's B Team would make a CL spot. City is paying them to sit the bench so no other team can get them. Its ridiculous.

The other thing a salary cap would do is force teams to develop better youth systems and also give their youth players a chance. Too many clubs use their youth systems as a selling scheme to buy big names

When a league starts letting Russian oligarchs and Arab states
Own clubs in this country your asking for trouble. When, and it will happen the EPL turns into a one team league and the fans start turning off in droves the idiots in charge will realise they've fucked up big time. Many clubs will go to the wall

Premier League clubs heading for financial ruin says new report

I don't know whether the authors of the quoted report have any interests or are completely neutral, but surely, SURELY there's a ceiling on the amount of money available to football?
I believe the English domestic market, BT Sky and then secondary ITV and BBC are maxed out. Both Sky and BT are loosing viewers not gaining them, there is no way they will pay more for broadcast rights next time come to renew. However, these potential losses could feasibly be made up and surpassed by improved international broadcast rights of the PL, namely US and China the PL audience is still growing in these areas and as long as that continues then so will the money.

Good time to build a stadium though, the Sky/BT deal runs for 3yrs, first year was last year, so two more years to run. Plus we have in a most un-Spursy way coincided to get into CL!

Last edited:
Not that unbelievable, Fat Sam pretty much guarantees survival, he can charge what he wants to desperate clubs who know how costly the alternative is.
Sadly yes,hence has money ruined football? The end product with Allardyce will make your eyes bleed! he's for hire to do a job the remit keep our club in the promised land at any expence of playing attractive free flowing football get results end of story. Why not go for the Bournemouth manager? Or a young manager with vision with ideas,no we can't chance that. As a side issue after what he did whilst England manger he shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a football club again!

Sports Washing in football needs to end it it is damaging football. There is a reason why the Championship is the most over leveraged league in the world where over 50% of the league is well over the red line where they are a going concern in 5 years time. The financial rewards for being in the Premiership are too high and are causing problems for the whole football pyramid. Then you have got the problem that players prices and wages have been over inflated for the last ten years by a number of clubs. Football is heading for a crash and Sports Washing will be one of the biggest contributors.

When Juventus, Real Madrid and Barcelona are all carrying over a billion pounds worth of transfer debt you know it spells big trouble for the whole of football this is why they attempted the ESL.

The problem with Leagues becoming dominated by one team they become less and less entertaining like with the La Liga where you expect Barcelona or one of the Madrid sides to win it. The problem with this is you get diminishing returns on TV Revenue and this will effect sponsorship revenue and will cause a drop in revenue for the majority of the league if this happens to the Premier League with Clubs holding such high transfer debt to revenue Premier League teams could find themselves in trouble especially with the current ownership of Premier League Teams.

For football to sustain itself in the long run a lot of clubs are going to disappear in the next ten years I think you will see League Two move from pro to semi pro and that is with a hell of a lot of clubs no longer in existence.

These are predictions without taking COVID-19 Pandemic into account depending on how the world economy recovers from this it could speed up the process 2-3 years. Some of this is also on the British Government because I have no taken into account Brexit's effect on British Football because there is too little data how Brexit is going to effect the British Economy and if it damages the British Economy or there is Upheaval in what countries the UK are made up of there could be another speed up of the damage done to the lower tiers of English and Scottish football.

Back
Top Bottom