Has money ruined football?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Phil Neville in ' advanced' talks to become the England women's team manager.

The FA and football are so deluded it's laughable and this appointment has all the hallmarks of ' raising the profile of the women's game' and of course money.

So basically any up and coming female or male coach who has cut their teeth at club level can basically piss off as the FA want someone who was assistant manager at a Spanish club once and turned them into a laughing stock by inept performance and clueless tactics in a matter of weeks.

Phil Neville in ' advanced' talks to become the England women's team manager.

The FA and football are so deluded it's laughable and this appointment has all the hallmarks of ' raising the profile of the women's game' and of course money.

So basically any up and coming female or male coach who has cut their teeth at club level can basically piss off as the FA want someone who was assistant manager at a Spanish club once and turned them into a laughing stock by inept performance and clueless tactics in a matter of weeks.
In fairness, they were apparently trying to lure Herdman, who's done really well with the Canadian women's team, but the Canadian soccer association surprised everyone by suddenly offering him the men's team. I don't know anything about the women's schedule, but maybe there's a pressing issue to find someone all of a sudden...? If not, then you're point definitely still stands.

They have jumped straight to hotels ?
When a players owns the majority of the properties especially the expensive ones and has Hotels on all of them- because they have so much money coming in, houses are chicken feed in comparison. They will win by default because there is no possible come back form other players. The game become boring and you lose interest.
I’ve no idea if we are still talking about football or not.

Assuming not, there are 12 hotels and 32 houses in monopoly. So if you leave 4 houses on your properties and don’t buy hotels, you close the game out by using up all the houses. Plus the investment to return is almost as good with four houses as it is with one hotel.

However, if we are still on football, and they’ve jumped straight to hotels, we can wait to see how many leagues and cups they win in the coming years. It’ll be no different from the par five years in my opinion. Not many.

You open the Monopoly box, They have jumped straight to hotels ?
When a players owns the majority of the properties especially the expensive ones and has Hotels on all of them- because they have so much money coming in, houses are chicken feed in comparison. They will win by default because there is no possible come back form other players.
The game become boring and you lose interest.

Fixed it.

Messi is just as bad. Not just football though, if everyone paid their fair whack, they could probably reduce everyone's rate.
Interesting isn’t it. I had a dinner recently with 6 people who were all part of a mega Silicon Valley start up that you almost certainly use. They were early joiners, like 30th person in the door etc. Not sure, but judging by their lifestyles am guessing all got north of $10m.

Actually quite likeable, and they were doing all the things I would do (read loads, exercise loads, travel loads, start up a fund etc), but...it was noticeable how much of their chat was about where to live and where to put their money so as to minimise their tax. They all left California, which I assume has high state tax, and were now scattered about.

It’s seems to be true that the more you have the easier it is to pay less tax. Maybe the only reason people do, is because they can at that level. Everyone else pays full whack because they have to

Become a friend of Neymar too 😀😀😀

FRIENDS WITH BENEFITSInside Neymar’s entourage, where you can earn around £10k-per-month, have access to exclusive celeb parties and can mingle with the stars
By Jon Boon
17th September 2019, 7:00 am
Updated: 17th September 2019, 8:41 am

From attending elite fashion parties to taking fancy holidays, the Brazilian superstar knows how to live.

And if you’re lucky, you will be part of Neymar’s inner circle, called the ‘parcas’ in his homeland, who indulge in the high-life with him.

Parcas is a slang term in Portuguese meaning ‘partners’, and just like Vinny Chase in US TV show Entourage, the footballer has a group of pals he trusts more than anyone else.

Enter the world of one of the most famous sports stars on the planet…

THE THREE AMIGOS
There’s a popular joke in Brazil that if you’re Neymar’s friend, you won’t feel the current economic and unemployment crisis that’s sweeping the country.

And these three live-in mates are reportedly all on the payroll, earning around £10k-per-month from the former Barcelona star.

Nowt wrong with that IMO. Got rich. Gave his friends a job.

Still a twat tho.

Well..........let’s have it
Confused Larry David GIF

Salary caps. Sounds communisty.
It is so interesting, from an American perspective, how flip flopped the perspectives are on this issue. Almost all American sports have salary caps and is just accepted as part of the game and for parity, but we are largely free market proponents in how we operate and act just about any other aspect of life. Seems far more of the opposite in life and football in Europe.

I don’t think MLB has a formal or very well structured salary cap.
MLB does not have a salary cap, however the luxury tax system that was implemented in the most recent collective bargaining agreement has increasingly operated as a de facto salary cap, even among the biggest and richest teams.

And the other trouble MLB players have is that they enter the system as minor leaguers multiple years away from starting an MLB service time clock that give teams control over them for 6+ years. Access to a truly free market continues to dwindle.

American sports have big time competitiveness problems.

Apparently, the median is $860K and average is $2.7 million for the NFL. MLB is $4.43 average.

NFL has some crazy salaries on the upper end though. I don’t think MLB has a formal or very well structured salary cap.
Players that make it up from the minors are locked to their team for 6 years at the major league level.

First 3 years = minimum wage of around 500K (ironically, this can be some of their best years)

Years 4-6 - Each year, Player and club go to arbitrator to determine salary based on past performance and expected performance. For an average player, it might be 4 mil (year 4), 7 mil (year 5), 10 mil (year 6).

After that they become a free agent. Many players will avoid that 6 year min wage/arbitration process and sign a separate contract if offered by the team.

MLB has no cap, similar to world football. Therefore, the rich teams do the best. However, even lower paying teams like the Tampa Bay Rays can do well because of MLB's drafting system. The draft allows incoming talent from HS or college to be distributed fairly evenly among the teams. It's also a crapshoot whether a player turns good or not, so scouting is huge.

In european football, the big clubs can just pay more for the hugely talented 16-18 year old teenagers and dominate all the young talent. Sure they can't get them all, but it's enough.

MLB allows teams to buy up the talented 28+ year olds but doesn't allow the rich teams to buy up all the young talent.

When a league starts letting Russian oligarchs and Arab states
Own clubs in this country your asking for trouble. When, and it will happen the EPL turns into a one team league and the fans start turning off in droves the idiots in charge will realise they've fucked up big time. Many clubs will go to the wall

We’re not far from that now. Take away Leicester’s fluke season and Liverpool’s successful yet unsustainable throw-everything-at-it-and-ride-their-luck season, only financially doped teams have won the league since Fergie retired and Man Utd dominance ended. I expect this gap to widen so there will no longer be any Liverpools or Leicesters ever again.

I believe the English domestic market, BT Sky and then secondary ITV and BBC are maxed out. Both Sky and BT are loosing viewers not gaining them, there is no way they will pay more for broadcast rights next time come to renew. However, these potential losses could feasibly be made up and surpassed by improved international broadcast rights of the PL, namely US and China the PL audience is still growing in these areas and as long as that continues then so will the money.

Good time to build a stadium though, the Sky/BT deal runs for 3yrs, first year was last year, so two more years to run. Plus we have in a most un-Spursy way coincided to get into CL!

Hmmm. According to this article: FREE ARTICLE: Premier League international media-rights revenues set to increase by almost 50% ... the Asia-Pacific region paid more than Europe in the 2016-2019 PL broadcast rights auction.So maybe the capacity for growth isn't as big as we might think.

Granted there is a vast population difference between the 2 areas, but there will also be a relative interest difference I would imagine?

Yes or no? Depending on how old you are will dictate your answer! My answer is yes, the actual playing of football comes way down the list of priorities merchandise,money,tv,agents,wages,advertising seem to be far more important....thoughts

No, not at all.

Football is extremely successful. Largest sport in the world, with the greatest reach in terms of both audiences and players on all levels, afaik, and it keeps growing. It's also by far the sport with the most professional athletes, allowing more people to make a living of it than any other sport.

The quality keeps evolving, as does the accessibility throughout the world.

Yes, it makes some people filthy rich, and the biggest teams in the world may not prioritize the working class local fans, but in the bigger picture those are quite minor issues.

Football has never been better. At least partly because of money.

I loved the FA Cup as a kid, but money has meant more focus on Champions League qualification etc etc.
I'm stating the obvious here though.

It didn't / doesn't need to be that way though - the FA just need to make the Cup prestigious by offering serious prize money.........who in their right mind is going to try to win the FA Cup for £2m prize money when ever place higher in the PL earns you more? Let alone thinking about the difference between being in/out of Europe or the PL altogether.

Money has ruined football in that you can't watch games for a reasonable price in the UK. OK, the clubs get the money and that enables them to buy better players, but it's the fans that have to pay and the cost is prohibitive nowadays. I'd be willing to pay a reasonable amount but it just costs so so much now that it's impossible to afford. For along time tickets have been expensive, but now you cant afford the tickets or the tv.

Back
Top Bottom