Has money ruined football?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Whats the story with brentford not having an academy/ underage system? Is that true or did i hear wrong

Brentford closed their academy about 4 years ago.

What they do now is to look at players at other academies who are unhappy as they are not making the progress they think they should get or look at youngsters released from other academies and take on the best youngsters (typically aged say 18) they can find and run these players in a B team to play other sides usually outside a youth league system.

So for example, Paris Maghoma thought he should be more highly rated at Spurs than he was and left to join Brentford. Paris Maghoma signs for Brentford B

They have picked up some decent youngsters over the last few years - but curiously lost a few good youngsters (mainly aged less than 17) when they closed their academy and players left to join other clubs to continue their 'scholarship' elseawhere - inc;uding several who joined Spurs. So net losees versus gains of decent youngsters I'm not sure they have made any net gains of good players from closing their academy and running a B team.

Where I think they have gained is seeing good youngsters at lower league clubs, buying them and developing them - obvious examples being Oliver Watkins bought for a song (circa £2m) developed over say 4 years and sold to Villa for some £30m, Ivan Toney released by Newcastle (bad mistake), picked up by Peterborough (Barry Fry) for circa £650k, polished for 2 years and sold to Brentford for alegedly £5m plus up to £10m in add ons. Probably worth £30m - £50m now ?

Brentford''s skill in buying players is supposed to be very much data based analytics (moneyball)...... and they are doing very well at it.

It's improved material aspects like stadia (including pitch conditions), presentation, merchandise etc...but as a sport - the negative outcomes are easily apparent. The rich pull away. I loved the FA Cup as a kid, but money has meant more focus on Champions League qualification etc etc.
I'm stating the obvious here though.

People's greed has spoilt things. When a player can say with straight face after not being playing for 7 months that £65k per week is not enough for him, then that says it all.

With the climax of city winning the league of which was a bit of a damp squib and it was a forgone conclusion months ago and we all know how it came about? Will we ever see a last day decider again a relegation threatened club fighting tooth and nail against a team knowing a win will see them champions and the loser condemned to the championship or is this going to be norm league wrapped up with half dozen games to go?

With the climax of city winning the league of which was a bit of a damp squib and it was a forgone conclusion months ago and we all know how it came about? Will we ever see a last day decider again a relegation threatened club fighting tooth and nail against a team knowing a win will see them champions and the loser condemned to the championship or is this going to be norm league wrapped up with half dozen games to go?
Agree. When Leicester won, for us Spurs fans it wasn't something to cheer but it was something to feel emotional about. Having City do what they have done has left me emotionless, I can't applaud it, I especially can't agree with the regime behind it.

What always fucks me off is the media's position, Dortmund, St Pauli and only the other week another Bundesliga Club came our with Anti-Nazi stuff, which was applauded by the Broadsheet media, but today not one of the same Journalists (with the exception of Nick Harris) have mentioned what is behind City, the two things are linked, you can't separate the two, yet the media have chosen to do just that, why?

Anyway, aside from that I also think that deep down we all know that this is just the beginning of a Club that it set-up to not just dominate English football but World football.

A salary cap cannot work in football, not because I don't want it to but because it's a global game, spanning multiple national governments, governing bodies, national, continental and international governing bodies.

If the Premier League implements a cap, then the best players leave to go to La Liga, Bundesliga. If all UEFA member leagues implement then the best players leave to go to MLS or the Chinese Leagues.

But it's not just that, how do you calculate the cap when there are so many local differences in currency and living conditions?

And if after all is taken into account, Man City would still find a creative way of working around it, and still get away with it.
I think the best way to save football in the long term is the most impractical solution is to remove clubs over bank rolled by dubious sources from the pyramid.

Good thing football was saved when the ESL was defeated.

:llorishowudoin:

Swiss Bank Admits to Laundering $36 Million in Bribes to Soccer Officials​

Swiss bank agreed to pay $79.7 million in penalties after admitting to laundering over $36 million in bribes paid to international soccer officials on Thursday.

Bank Julius Baer, the third largest Swiss bank, will pay a $43.3 million fine and forfeit another $36.4 million for conducting the transactions between February 2013 and May 2015, according to the Department of Justice (DOJ). The settlement is part of a deferred prosecution agreement with federal prosecutors.

DOJ says the bank knowingly laundered the money through the U.S. "to conceal the true nature of the payments and promote the fraud." The bribery scheme involved sports marketers giving illicit payments to officials from global soccer governing body FIFA and South American governing body CONMEBOL in exchange for the rights to broadcast soccer matches.

"Bank Julius Baer pursued the profit it could make laundering corrupt funds derived from a criminal scheme run by powerful FIFA officials," William F. Sweeney Jr., assistant director-in-charge of the FBI's New York Field Office, said in a statement. "Their behavior has earned them the equivalent of a red card, and the money the bank now owes the U.S. government is more than double what it admits to laundering."

Like everything there is a balance needed here.

It's ruined lots of aspects, those mentioned.

But where would our stadia be today without the money? Most would be shit holes by now, maybe many more clubs bankrupt too?

It's not the money per se, it's the greed that went with it all.

Personally, things that have ruined football more than the money:

Social media interaction with players and fans

FM

Dogshit pundits and journalists

People judging games on heat maps and ridiculous stats compilations

Pink boots and tattoos

Crap hairstyles

Crap players being called world class

Cap wages at £100,000, transfers at £20 million and force clubs to have 50% home grown stars. Obviously you can't roll something like that put overnight, maybe 3-4 years.

What happens with the rest of the money? Goes into the owners pockets? Why is it ok for rich billionaires to make more and more money, but not for the players?

Lots of people here seem to forget that Germany is a prime example of trying to regulate the money flows and ownership issues + reasonable ticket prices. Their competition still is strong, they still attract good players and they have some really good development centers. All that without the sick amounts of money that are doing the rounds. Not saying that they don't pay huge wages and so on, but nothing compared to what the likes of PSG, the whole PL, the spanish three and Juve are spending.

Lots of countries have Saturday evening games haven't they ? The travel issue is not as important in smaller countries like mine or our dutch neighbours. But i believe France,Portugal Spain and Italy all have saturday evening games. I've always been used to watching live football at night.

Football runs much deeper than "change the kick-off time" here. It's ingrained into English fans that Saturday afternoon is football time. It's bad enough having early kick-offs and Sunday matches. By 7.30 pm, I want to be in the pub or relaxing at home.

Spanish football is completely different - it's made for TV and accepted that it revolves around TV. The fact that there's no away fan culture helps.

Suppose I'll be able to accept a 7.45 Saturday KO as long as it's just the once (or less!) a season.

Anyone else getting legitimately worried that we might very well be seeing City destroy the league and turning it into yet another "one team league" before our very eyes? Seems like the media is so enamored with them breaking records left and right that they don't seem to realize that one year is all well and good, but if this happens two or maybe three years in a row that interest will wane at an extraordinary rate. Sure, people will continue to watch, but if the title race is gonna be done and dusted by Christmas it's gonna get pretty old pretty quick.

That being said, maybe it will actually force teams to give a shit about the FA Cup again. Hell, if no one else is winning the league, might as well go all out for the cup.
You mean what's happened in Scotland?

Anyone else getting legitimately worried that we might very well be seeing City destroy the league and turning it into yet another "one team league" before our very eyes? Seems like the media is so enamored with them breaking records left and right that they don't seem to realize that one year is all well and good, but if this happens two or maybe three years in a row that interest will wane at an extraordinary rate. Sure, people will continue to watch, but if the title race is gonna be done and dusted by Christmas it's gonna get pretty old pretty quick.

That being said, maybe it will actually force teams to give a shit about the FA Cup again. Hell, if no one else is winning the league, might as well go all out for the cup.

Who pays for Manchester City’s beautiful game? | Nick Cohen

Back
Top Bottom