Has money ruined football?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We are playing the game now and they are buying up all the properties and can afford too buy the Hotels before we can raise money to buy mere houses. The dice are loaded.
The metaphor is dead. Stop punching it.

And you don’t win Monopoly by buying Hotels. You win by buying Houses. Trust me.

The metaphor is dead. Stop punching it.

And you don’t win Monopoly by buying Hotels. You win by buying Houses. Trust me.
They have jumped straight to hotels ?
When a players owns the majority of the properties especially the expensive ones and has Hotels on all of them- because they have so much money coming in, houses are chicken feed in comparison. They will win by default because there is no possible come back form other players. The game become boring and you lose interest.

They have jumped straight to hotels ?
When a players owns the majority of the properties especially the expensive ones and has Hotels on all of them- because they have so much money coming in, houses are chicken feed in comparison. They will win by default because there is no possible come back form other players. The game become boring and you lose interest.
I’ve no idea if we are still talking about football or not.

Assuming not, there are 12 hotels and 32 houses in monopoly. So if you leave 4 houses on your properties and don’t buy hotels, you close the game out by using up all the houses. Plus the investment to return is almost as good with four houses as it is with one hotel.

However, if we are still on football, and they’ve jumped straight to hotels, we can wait to see how many leagues and cups they win in the coming years. It’ll be no different from the par five years in my opinion. Not many.

Riddle me this: in the rather popular PC game, Football Manager, hacking the game to enable infinite funds is considered to be cheating. Why then is it labelled cheating in something as insignificant as a video game yet perfectly acceptable in a real life sport?

£.4.46 bn BT and sky have agreed to pay to show English football average £2.7 million per game! Brighton v Huddersfield
West brom v Watford
Southampton v Swansea
They games worth that? Bubble ain't gonna pop just yet.....

I don't think it will for a while - TV is still funded quite a lot by adverts, but modern TV where you can record / pause / fast forward as well as Netflix, Amazon, etc means that very few people actually watch live TV now except for sporting events..........Premier League football is one of the easiest ways to reach a large number of consumers

With the climax of city winning the league of which was a bit of a damp squib and it was a forgone conclusion months ago and we all know how it came about? Will we ever see a last day decider again a relegation threatened club fighting tooth and nail against a team knowing a win will see them champions and the loser condemned to the championship or is this going to be norm league wrapped up with half dozen games to go?

With the climax of city winning the league of which was a bit of a damp squib and it was a forgone conclusion months ago and we all know how it came about? Will we ever see a last day decider again a relegation threatened club fighting tooth and nail against a team knowing a win will see them champions and the loser condemned to the championship or is this going to be norm league wrapped up with half dozen games to go?
Agree. When Leicester won, for us Spurs fans it wasn't something to cheer but it was something to feel emotional about. Having City do what they have done has left me emotionless, I can't applaud it, I especially can't agree with the regime behind it.

What always fucks me off is the media's position, Dortmund, St Pauli and only the other week another Bundesliga Club came our with Anti-Nazi stuff, which was applauded by the Broadsheet media, but today not one of the same Journalists (with the exception of Nick Harris) have mentioned what is behind City, the two things are linked, you can't separate the two, yet the media have chosen to do just that, why?

Anyway, aside from that I also think that deep down we all know that this is just the beginning of a Club that it set-up to not just dominate English football but World football.

Agree. When Leicester won, for us Spurs fans it wasn't something to cheer but it was something to feel emotional about. Having City do what they have done has left me emotionless, I can't applaud it, I especially can't agree with the regime behind it.

What always fucks me off is the media's position, Dortmund, St Pauli and only the other week another Bundesliga Club came our with Anti-Nazi stuff, which was applauded by the Broadsheet media, but today not one of the same Journalists (with the exception of Nick Harris) have mentioned what is behind City, the two things are linked, you can't separate the two, yet the media have chosen to do just that, why?

Anyway, aside from that I also think that deep down we all know that this is just the beginning of a Club that it set-up to not just dominate English football but World football.
Nazi salutes, in what context?
These same German clubs protest against Monday night TV money football don't they. Maybe something has been lost in translation

Got the joy of Wolves and (likely) Villa next year too. Both not short of money, and top 4 claims. Watch Wolves especially. They have a bottomless pit of cash burning holes in deep pockets. Fosun & a super Agent or two and this is City Mark 2. Some of the quality they already have is enough to make them competitive with top 10.

Last edited:
You open the Monopoly box, They have jumped straight to hotels ?
When a players owns the majority of the properties especially the expensive ones and has Hotels on all of them- because they have so much money coming in, houses are chicken feed in comparison. They will win by default because there is no possible come back form other players.
The game become boring and you lose interest.

Fixed it.

I don't think it will for a while - TV is still funded quite a lot by adverts, but modern TV where you can record / pause / fast forward as well as Netflix, Amazon, etc means that very few people actually watch live TV now except for sporting events..........Premier League football is one of the easiest ways to reach a large number of consumers
That’s whats behind the bubble of the exploding tv contracts. But extrapolating out the US market results (whose live sports contracts have been exploding for years - until now) you see that it’s something of a fallacy. Increasingly, live sport ratings are dropping as well. Global sports tv contracts are entering a period of regression as networks find out they aren’t the value they were thought to be. The internet, and it’s effect on consumer attention spans, means that live sport is a dwindling ratings return.

Revealed: The staggering amounts of money Premier League stars earn... including a £75,000-a-game bonus on top of £391,000-a-week wage
Manchester United gave Alexis Sanchez a contract that could earn him more than £25 million a year should he hit all his bonuses, including £75,000 for every game he starts, according to the latest Football Leaks revelations.

The confidential contract information of a number of leading Premier League players has been published by the German magazine Der Spiegel in the book Football Leaks: Uncovering The Dirty Deals Behind the Beautiful Game, laying out the eye-watering terms for some of the big deals of the last two transfer windows.

Sanchez, who joined United from Woolwich in a deal in which Henrikh Mkhitaryan went the other way, is alleged to earn a basic salary of £391,000 a week with £75,000 paid as a bonus for every first team game he starts. The book’s allegations, published by The Daily Mail, also allege that the 29 year-old, who has a five-year deal at United, is entitled to a £1.1 million annual signing-on fee.

In addition, he could earn £2m for reaching a combination of 40 goals and assists; £1m if United win the Champions League and £500,000 for winning the Premier League. The numbers reveal just what a strong position Sanchez put himself in by running his contract down to its final five months and insisting that his financial demands be met. Jose Mourinho has defended the player’s occasionally indifferent form, saying that he will be better next season.

Woolwich replaced him with Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang whose contract details Der Spiegel also claim to have seen including a £2.26m Champions League bonus which he will allegedly receive despite Woolwich finishing sixth this season. Aubameyang will earn £198,000 a week, totalling £10.3m annually, with a £15.15m loyalty bonus payable over the next three years. He will earn £300,000 for getting a combined 25 goals and assists in a season and £50,000 for each match he starts that Woolwich win.

Mkhitaryan commanded less than those two but, despite failing to make the grade at United, he will earn £7.5m annually at Woolwich for three years and that will rise to £12.5m if the club decide to exercise an option to keep him. By comparison, the season’s outstanding player, Mohamed Salah, seems to have been acquired relatively cheaply by Liverpool. He is on a weekly wage of £123,030 and has hit his £2.5m bonus target of 35 combined goals and assists.

Virgil Van Dijk, who commanded a record-breaking £70m fee for a defender when Liverpool signed him from Southampton in January, earned a weekly basic wage of £124,658 with a £6m bonus on signing. He was given a £5m loyalty bonus and another £4m loyalty bonus on playing 150 games. He is also incentivised per clean sheet the team keeps, starting at 18, as well as £20,000 for every goal he scores.

Manchester United striker Romelu Lukaku, who signed for £75m from Everton in the summer, is on a £7.8m basic salary and a £4.5m bonus for 50 combined goals and assists – a number which he has fallen short of this season. He also has a £2.4m loyalty payment and £1.96m in payments for marketing rights. Gylfi Sigurdsson would have earned another £2.5m had Everton qualified for the Champions League.

Back
Top Bottom