Has money ruined football?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

A fair few of us enjoy discussing football finances. So I figured why not make a thread for it.

Swissramble just released an intereting rundown on Ajax's 17-18 financial results

A bit like this one:
https://www.thefightingcock.co.uk/forum/threads/football-finance-thread.29215/#post-1657886
Or this one:
https://www.thefightingcock.co.uk/forum/threads/has-money-ruined-football.21908/page-8
btw, this article made a point about EPL teams basically paying a premium for similarly skilled players, comparing the wages of West Ham vs Girona for example.
Barcelona become first sports team to average £10m a year in wages
When we bring in players from smaller leagues the agents and the club's board just start rubbing their hands with glee.

A bit like this one:
https://www.thefightingcock.co.uk/forum/threads/football-finance-thread.29215/#post-1657886
Or this one:
https://www.thefightingcock.co.uk/forum/threads/has-money-ruined-football.21908/page-8
btw, this article made a point about EPL teams basically paying a premium for similarly skilled players, comparing the wages of West Ham vs Girona for example.
Barcelona become first sports team to average £10m a year in wages
When we bring in players from smaller leagues the agents and the club's board just start rubbing their hands with glee.
I swear I searched for a footballl finance thread and nothing came up.

Admin Admin please merge this thread into any appropriate one

XoXo

Money has obviously changed the top division, but you don't need to go far to see good old basic soccer games, if that's what you want. They can be seen on TV, or just down the road in your local town.

As far as the top flight of football is concerned, I concede that the pursuit of profit has become ridiculous, but the pursuit of success has always been there and always will be. You cannot separate the two.

Luckily, we're lumbered with a team that's successful. Many others can only dream of being as unfortunate as us.

[QUOTE="CJJ, post: 1265773, member: ]
(I'm sure I remember it being £30 a ticket in the 90's?)[/QUOTE]

£8 on the Paxton terrace then £20 when it went all seater

Klopp: Only City and PSG can spend 300 million each year, although it seems like Real Madrid and Barcelona can too

For a self-sufficient club like Liverpool are under the FSG ownership model, the vast expenditure of 2018 was always going to be a one-off, and with fans a little frustrated at the lack of transfers completed this summer, Jurgen Klopp has hit back, suggesting that only Manchester City and Paris Saint-Germain can spend 300 million euros every year.

The two million euro signing of Sepp van den Berg remains the only piece of incoming business Liverpool have completed thus far this summer, a far cry from 2018 where they signed Virgil van Dijk, Fabinho, Alisson Becker, Naby Keita and Xherdan Shaqiri over the course of two transfer windows.

These days were supplemented by the sales of Danny Ward to Leicester City and Dominic Solanke to Bournemouth, yet it still left Liverpool's net spend on transfers in 2018 around the 235 million euro mark.

"There may only be two clubs who can spend 300 million every year, [Manchester] City and PSG, although it seems like Real Madrid and Barcelona can do that too," Klopp admitted to the press.

"We have to see if we can find a position where we can improve, but there is no real pressure.

"It's not going to be the biggest window in terms of spending for Liverpool, we've invested a lot over the last two years and we can't do that every year."

Rummenigge on Griezmann's salary: Bayern Munich won't participate in such craziness

Karl-Heinz Rummenigge, the CEO of Bayern Munich, has criticised the wages being paid by clubs in Europe's top leagues.

Pointing to LaLiga Santander, the Premier League and Serie A, as well as referring to the specific example of Antoine Griezmann, the club chief expressed concern.
"I'm not only worried about the transfer fees, as 100 or 120 million euros is now nothing spectacular," he said in an interview with Bild.
"I'm much more worried about the salaries being paid, especially in Spain, England and Italy.
"The trend is going towards paying net salaries.
"We need to be careful not to destabilise out salary structure.
"They're huge.
"Look, for example, at Griezmann and his salary worth millions per year and paid net.
"All of these salaries have to be multiplied by two because the clubs are paying the taxes.
"Bayern Munich won't participate in such craziness."
Rummenigge went on to explain that filling the squad up with youth players is one potential solution.
"We need to keep doing what we've always done at Bayern," he said.

£8 on the Paxton terrace then £20 when it went all seater

This.....

I was priced out over night as a teenager. £7 a ticket to stand in Park Lane (think Cat A might have been an extra quid).

I entered £20 in 1990 into an online inflation calculator. It reckons it's £45 now.

So rough equivalent would be me getting in for £17 now....

EPL Cunts.

This.....

I was priced out over night as a teenager. £7 a ticket to stand in Park Lane (think Cat A might have been an extra quid).

So rough equivalent would be me getting in for £17 now....

EPL Cunts.
I don't disagree with you, so all I can do is urge you to hurry up and get old:

Inter Milan ticket - £10 (although I think everyone pays no more than a tenner for this one?)
Villa = £20
Newcastle = £28

:levylol:

Hmmm...

FC Andorra: Gerard Pique's team pay £411,000 for promotion to Spanish third tier
5 hours ago
FC Andorra - owned by Barcelona defender Gerard Pique - have paid 452,022 euros (£411,000) to fill a vacated slot in Spain's third tier.

The club, bought by Pique's Kosmos group in December, earned promotion to the fourth tier last season but have now replaced Reus, who were relegated as a result of financial problems.

Everything is completely fine.
gareth-bale-sawgrass.jpg

Back
Top Bottom