Has money ruined football?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Money has ruined football for the supporter who goes to all the games.

Money has improved football for the armchair fan.
Seconded.

The new stadium is amazing for tourists and people who like arndales. I prefer things cheap and old-school. A bit less hipster, a bit more ginsters.

Seconded.

The new stadium is amazing for tourists and people who like arndales. I prefer things cheap and old-school. A bit less hipster, a bit more ginsters.
Personally I like the new stadium but I do not think doing things in a budget is the wrong way. I think the problem is other things non football related polluting football.

Money has ruined football for the supporter who goes to all the games.

Money has improved football for the armchair fan.
It is pretty great to be able to wake up on a Saturday morning and have the PL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A, etc all at my fingertips from my couch in Chicago, not gonna lie.

But it sucks that all of that intrigue and variety is getting centrifuged into literally like 8 clubs competing for one stupid, boring Champions League.

We've gone well past the sweet spot.

A salary cap cannot work in football, not because I don't want it to but because it's a global game, spanning multiple national governments, governing bodies, national, continental and international governing bodies.

If the Premier League implements a cap, then the best players leave to go to La Liga, Bundesliga. If all UEFA member leagues implement then the best players leave to go to MLS or the Chinese Leagues.

But it's not just that, how do you calculate the cap when there are so many local differences in currency and living conditions?

And if after all is taken into account, Man City would still find a creative way of working around it, and still get away with it.

Sports Washing in football needs to end it it is damaging football. There is a reason why the Championship is the most over leveraged league in the world where over 50% of the league is well over the red line where they are a going concern in 5 years time. The financial rewards for being in the Premiership are too high and are causing problems for the whole football pyramid. Then you have got the problem that players prices and wages have been over inflated for the last ten years by a number of clubs. Football is heading for a crash and Sports Washing will be one of the biggest contributors.

When Juventus, Real Madrid and Barcelona are all carrying over a billion pounds worth of transfer debt you know it spells big trouble for the whole of football this is why they attempted the ESL.

The problem with Leagues becoming dominated by one team they become less and less entertaining like with the La Liga where you expect Barcelona or one of the Madrid sides to win it. The problem with this is you get diminishing returns on TV Revenue and this will effect sponsorship revenue and will cause a drop in revenue for the majority of the league if this happens to the Premier League with Clubs holding such high transfer debt to revenue Premier League teams could find themselves in trouble especially with the current ownership of Premier League Teams.

For football to sustain itself in the long run a lot of clubs are going to disappear in the next ten years I think you will see League Two move from pro to semi pro and that is with a hell of a lot of clubs no longer in existence.

These are predictions without taking COVID-19 Pandemic into account depending on how the world economy recovers from this it could speed up the process 2-3 years. Some of this is also on the British Government because I have no taken into account Brexit's effect on British Football because there is too little data how Brexit is going to effect the British Economy and if it damages the British Economy or there is Upheaval in what countries the UK are made up of there could be another speed up of the damage done to the lower tiers of English and Scottish football.

A salary cap cannot work in football, not because I don't want it to but because it's a global game, spanning multiple national governments, governing bodies, national, continental and international governing bodies.

If the Premier League implements a cap, then the best players leave to go to La Liga, Bundesliga. If all UEFA member leagues implement then the best players leave to go to MLS or the Chinese Leagues.

But it's not just that, how do you calculate the cap when there are so many local differences in currency and living conditions?

And if after all is taken into account, Man City would still find a creative way of working around it, and still get away with it.
I think the best way to save football in the long term is the most impractical solution is to remove clubs over bank rolled by dubious sources from the pyramid.

It would work if it was done European wide because that is where everyone wants to play. Players only go to China to end their career irrespective of the money. American sports have caps, it’s very workable if UEFA, the EU and the U.K. agreed to it.

MLS has a salary cap.

It would work if it was done European wide because that is where everyone wants to play. Players only go to China to end their career irrespective of the money. American sports have caps, it’s very workable if UEFA, the EU and the U.K. agreed to it.
Yes if everyone signed up to it,it may work. Problem is though how can you cap salaries when clubs are constantly looking to drive at revenue by increasing the number of games that they have to play a season.

Yes if everyone signed up to it,it may work. Problem is though how can you cap salaries when clubs are constantly looking to drive at revenue by increasing the number of games that they have to play a season.
There are a million reasons why revenue sharing is a better-targeted, more effective way to engender a balanced competition than capping salaries.

Unfortunately the only thing that matters is that the ownership class would rather steal from their employees than from each other.

The class solidarity of the global elite is ironclad.

Good thing football was saved when the ESL was defeated.

:llorishowudoin:

Swiss Bank Admits to Laundering $36 Million in Bribes to Soccer Officials​

Swiss bank agreed to pay $79.7 million in penalties after admitting to laundering over $36 million in bribes paid to international soccer officials on Thursday.

Bank Julius Baer, the third largest Swiss bank, will pay a $43.3 million fine and forfeit another $36.4 million for conducting the transactions between February 2013 and May 2015, according to the Department of Justice (DOJ). The settlement is part of a deferred prosecution agreement with federal prosecutors.

DOJ says the bank knowingly laundered the money through the U.S. "to conceal the true nature of the payments and promote the fraud." The bribery scheme involved sports marketers giving illicit payments to officials from global soccer governing body FIFA and South American governing body CONMEBOL in exchange for the rights to broadcast soccer matches.

"Bank Julius Baer pursued the profit it could make laundering corrupt funds derived from a criminal scheme run by powerful FIFA officials," William F. Sweeney Jr., assistant director-in-charge of the FBI's New York Field Office, said in a statement. "Their behavior has earned them the equivalent of a red card, and the money the bank now owes the U.S. government is more than double what it admits to laundering."

When a league starts letting Russian oligarchs and Arab states
Own clubs in this country your asking for trouble. When, and it will happen the EPL turns into a one team league and the fans start turning off in droves the idiots in charge will realise they've fucked up big time. Many clubs will go to the wall

When a league starts letting Russian oligarchs and Arab states
Own clubs in this country your asking for trouble. When, and it will happen the EPL turns into a one team league and the fans start turning off in droves the idiots in charge will realise they've fucked up big time. Many clubs will go to the wall

We’re not far from that now. Take away Leicester’s fluke season and Liverpool’s successful yet unsustainable throw-everything-at-it-and-ride-their-luck season, only financially doped teams have won the league since Fergie retired and Man Utd dominance ended. I expect this gap to widen so there will no longer be any Liverpools or Leicesters ever again.

Football
nope GIF

Back
Top Bottom