Has money ruined football?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It is so interesting, from an American perspective, how flip flopped the perspectives are on this issue. Almost all American sports have salary caps and is just accepted as part of the game and for parity, but we are largely free market proponents in how we operate and act just about any other aspect of life. Seems far more of the opposite in life and football in Europe.
What's the average wage of an NFL or MLB player?

It is so interesting, from an American perspective, how flip flopped the perspectives are on this issue. Almost all American sports have salary caps and is just accepted as part of the game and for parity, but we are largely free market proponents in how we operate and act just about any other aspect of life. Seems far more of the opposite in life and football in Europe.
Not cheaper tickets though and owners get all the extra cash and not the players. That's my main argument against, I doubt it would be cheaper than it is now and the owners pick up the millions.

No, money has not ruined football but Greed, inept governance and power mongering has.

It's an entertainment so it will always have commercial enterprise but it has failed to check its excess.

What has happened is that competition has become too narrow and the desire to soothe the big clubs has meant dilution of real meaning to tournaments.

It's why the Champions League is a fraud and yet has served or been allowed to distort so much.

If it simply stuck to being winners and maybe the winning team only then you would not have had the obsession it has since created.

Just one very big but obvious example and let's be clear, none of these wealthy owners need more money but they do covet and crave power and influence.

Last edited:
What's the average wage of an NFL or MLB player?
Apparently, the median is $860K and average is $2.7 million for the NFL. MLB is $4.43 average.

NFL has some crazy salaries on the upper end though. I don’t think MLB has a formal or very well structured salary cap.

Not cheaper tickets though and owners get all the extra cash and not the players. That's my main argument against, I doubt it would be cheaper than it is now and the owners pick up the millions.
Hard to say for sure. I think it would help to control prices and would frankly help to create a more sustainable system with greater parity. Everyone bemoans the impact that money has had on the game, but the game has essentially become an arms race of debt mostly fueled by transfer fees, salaries, and agent fees. It is a system of have’s, have not’s, and clubs looking to stay competitive while balancing their books or staying profitable.

Wile I am against the idea, the ESL was maybe the first real acknowledgement and attempt to control this by some of the largest clubs. They cannot sustain a system like this and it was their attempt to secure their preeminent status, while offering them the ability to reign in their spending and slow down the arms race.

I don't disagree. I'm not a fan of it but it should be looked into. The more you give to the moaning, sulky pricks like pogba, the less you have to trickle down to your academy set up, support staff, charity work and so on. If pogba was on 200 instead of 400, that's 200k every single week to be used elsewhere. That's a lot of money. As fans, would you rather there was a very generous wage cap to allow more investment at base level?
Most of the money comes to the clubs because of big players/characters like pogba. Only fair if most of it goes to them. If there were salary caps then levy would jsut hoard that money in the bank.

I don’t think MLB has a formal or very well structured salary cap.
MLB does not have a salary cap, however the luxury tax system that was implemented in the most recent collective bargaining agreement has increasingly operated as a de facto salary cap, even among the biggest and richest teams.

And the other trouble MLB players have is that they enter the system as minor leaguers multiple years away from starting an MLB service time clock that give teams control over them for 6+ years. Access to a truly free market continues to dwindle.

American sports have big time competitiveness problems.

I can't see how a salary cap could work in football, there are way too many leagues and options for players to go and make major money and zero indication that everyone across the world would agree to it,

The reason it works in NA sports is that the leagues have such a monopoly on the best talent and biggest money that there is no viable alternative.

How long are clubs like RM and Barca going to listen to salary cap rules when it means they no longer are special and no longer have a massive advantage over other clubs? Is China going to abide by these rules when they can now have even more power to get the biggest stars in the world to come to them?

Are PSG and City going to follow these new rules when they already ignore the current rules in place?

I don't disagree. I'm not a fan of it but it should be looked into. The more you give to the moaning, sulky pricks like pogba, the less you have to trickle down to your academy set up, support staff, charity work and so on. If pogba was on 200 instead of 400, that's 200k every single week to be used elsewhere. That's a lot of money. As fans, would you rather there was a very generous wage cap to allow more investment at base level?
I don't even have a problem with footballers earning obscene amounts if they perform every week. So a lowish basic with a very generous performance-related bonus scheme will ensure the money is earned. Adjustments can be made if players are injured. But all clubs have to buy into it, otherwise it won't work.

Money has ruined football for the supporter who goes to all the games.
tough for the avid supporters who over many many years have pumped their money, time, blood sweat and tears into a club... the club has leveraged that and grown up and now has an insatiable appetitite for more... the club is torn between loyalty to you or 100 faceless subscribers.... but ultimately needs the $ to feed its own growth

Apparently, the median is $860K and average is $2.7 million for the NFL. MLB is $4.43 average.

NFL has some crazy salaries on the upper end though. I don’t think MLB has a formal or very well structured salary cap.
Players that make it up from the minors are locked to their team for 6 years at the major league level.

First 3 years = minimum wage of around 500K (ironically, this can be some of their best years)

Years 4-6 - Each year, Player and club go to arbitrator to determine salary based on past performance and expected performance. For an average player, it might be 4 mil (year 4), 7 mil (year 5), 10 mil (year 6).

After that they become a free agent. Many players will avoid that 6 year min wage/arbitration process and sign a separate contract if offered by the team.

MLB has no cap, similar to world football. Therefore, the rich teams do the best. However, even lower paying teams like the Tampa Bay Rays can do well because of MLB's drafting system. The draft allows incoming talent from HS or college to be distributed fairly evenly among the teams. It's also a crapshoot whether a player turns good or not, so scouting is huge.

In european football, the big clubs can just pay more for the hugely talented 16-18 year old teenagers and dominate all the young talent. Sure they can't get them all, but it's enough.

MLB allows teams to buy up the talented 28+ year olds but doesn't allow the rich teams to buy up all the young talent.

7 teams have won a PL title since it started, two are complete outliers in Blackburn and Leicester. Meanwhile 15 different NFL teams have won a Super Bowl since the salary cap was implemented and 14 MLB teams have won a World Series since the Luxury Tax was introduced. A salary cap would absolutely make things more competitive. That won't get a team over the hump if the club has bad owners, but it would go a long way in preventing teams from stock piling talent. I mean fucking City's B Team would make a CL spot. City is paying them to sit the bench so no other team can get them. Its ridiculous.

The other thing a salary cap would do is force teams to develop better youth systems and also give their youth players a chance. Too many clubs use their youth systems as a selling scheme to buy big names

Back
Top Bottom