Has money ruined football?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Revealed: The staggering amounts of money Premier League stars earn... including a £75,000-a-game bonus on top of £391,000-a-week wage
Manchester United gave Alexis Sanchez a contract that could earn him more than £25 million a year should he hit all his bonuses, including £75,000 for every game he starts, according to the latest Football Leaks revelations.

The confidential contract information of a number of leading Premier League players has been published by the German magazine Der Spiegel in the book Football Leaks: Uncovering The Dirty Deals Behind the Beautiful Game, laying out the eye-watering terms for some of the big deals of the last two transfer windows.

Sanchez, who joined United from Woolwich in a deal in which Henrikh Mkhitaryan went the other way, is alleged to earn a basic salary of £391,000 a week with £75,000 paid as a bonus for every first team game he starts. The book’s allegations, published by The Daily Mail, also allege that the 29 year-old, who has a five-year deal at United, is entitled to a £1.1 million annual signing-on fee.

In addition, he could earn £2m for reaching a combination of 40 goals and assists; £1m if United win the Champions League and £500,000 for winning the Premier League. The numbers reveal just what a strong position Sanchez put himself in by running his contract down to its final five months and insisting that his financial demands be met. Jose Mourinho has defended the player’s occasionally indifferent form, saying that he will be better next season.

Woolwich replaced him with Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang whose contract details Der Spiegel also claim to have seen including a £2.26m Champions League bonus which he will allegedly receive despite Woolwich finishing sixth this season. Aubameyang will earn £198,000 a week, totalling £10.3m annually, with a £15.15m loyalty bonus payable over the next three years. He will earn £300,000 for getting a combined 25 goals and assists in a season and £50,000 for each match he starts that Woolwich win.

Mkhitaryan commanded less than those two but, despite failing to make the grade at United, he will earn £7.5m annually at Woolwich for three years and that will rise to £12.5m if the club decide to exercise an option to keep him. By comparison, the season’s outstanding player, Mohamed Salah, seems to have been acquired relatively cheaply by Liverpool. He is on a weekly wage of £123,030 and has hit his £2.5m bonus target of 35 combined goals and assists.

Virgil Van Dijk, who commanded a record-breaking £70m fee for a defender when Liverpool signed him from Southampton in January, earned a weekly basic wage of £124,658 with a £6m bonus on signing. He was given a £5m loyalty bonus and another £4m loyalty bonus on playing 150 games. He is also incentivised per clean sheet the team keeps, starting at 18, as well as £20,000 for every goal he scores.

Manchester United striker Romelu Lukaku, who signed for £75m from Everton in the summer, is on a £7.8m basic salary and a £4.5m bonus for 50 combined goals and assists – a number which he has fallen short of this season. He also has a £2.4m loyalty payment and £1.96m in payments for marketing rights. Gylfi Sigurdsson would have earned another £2.5m had Everton qualified for the Champions League.

Sorry but that’s disgusting and obscene!

Revealed: The staggering amounts of money Premier League stars earn... including a £75,000-a-game bonus on top of £391,000-a-week wage
Manchester United gave Alexis Sanchez a contract that could earn him more than £25 million a year should he hit all his bonuses, including £75,000 for every game he starts, according to the latest Football Leaks revelations.

The confidential contract information of a number of leading Premier League players has been published by the German magazine Der Spiegel in the book Football Leaks: Uncovering The Dirty Deals Behind the Beautiful Game, laying out the eye-watering terms for some of the big deals of the last two transfer windows.

Sanchez, who joined United from Woolwich in a deal in which Henrikh Mkhitaryan went the other way, is alleged to earn a basic salary of £391,000 a week with £75,000 paid as a bonus for every first team game he starts. The book’s allegations, published by The Daily Mail, also allege that the 29 year-old, who has a five-year deal at United, is entitled to a £1.1 million annual signing-on fee.

In addition, he could earn £2m for reaching a combination of 40 goals and assists; £1m if United win the Champions League and £500,000 for winning the Premier League. The numbers reveal just what a strong position Sanchez put himself in by running his contract down to its final five months and insisting that his financial demands be met. Jose Mourinho has defended the player’s occasionally indifferent form, saying that he will be better next season.

Woolwich replaced him with Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang whose contract details Der Spiegel also claim to have seen including a £2.26m Champions League bonus which he will allegedly receive despite Woolwich finishing sixth this season. Aubameyang will earn £198,000 a week, totalling £10.3m annually, with a £15.15m loyalty bonus payable over the next three years. He will earn £300,000 for getting a combined 25 goals and assists in a season and £50,000 for each match he starts that Woolwich win.

Mkhitaryan commanded less than those two but, despite failing to make the grade at United, he will earn £7.5m annually at Woolwich for three years and that will rise to £12.5m if the club decide to exercise an option to keep him. By comparison, the season’s outstanding player, Mohamed Salah, seems to have been acquired relatively cheaply by Liverpool. He is on a weekly wage of £123,030 and has hit his £2.5m bonus target of 35 combined goals and assists.

Virgil Van Dijk, who commanded a record-breaking £70m fee for a defender when Liverpool signed him from Southampton in January, earned a weekly basic wage of £124,658 with a £6m bonus on signing. He was given a £5m loyalty bonus and another £4m loyalty bonus on playing 150 games. He is also incentivised per clean sheet the team keeps, starting at 18, as well as £20,000 for every goal he scores.

Manchester United striker Romelu Lukaku, who signed for £75m from Everton in the summer, is on a £7.8m basic salary and a £4.5m bonus for 50 combined goals and assists – a number which he has fallen short of this season. He also has a £2.4m loyalty payment and £1.96m in payments for marketing rights. Gylfi Sigurdsson would have earned another £2.5m had Everton qualified for the Champions League.

Those "loyalty bonuses" (eg: Aubamyang) seem obscene and absurd in equal measure....

Unsurprisingly, the article also suggests Arse have the lowest wage vs. performance-bonus ratio of the teams mentioned.

Messi is just as bad. Not just football though, if everyone paid their fair whack, they could probably reduce everyone's rate.
Interesting isn’t it. I had a dinner recently with 6 people who were all part of a mega Silicon Valley start up that you almost certainly use. They were early joiners, like 30th person in the door etc. Not sure, but judging by their lifestyles am guessing all got north of $10m.

Actually quite likeable, and they were doing all the things I would do (read loads, exercise loads, travel loads, start up a fund etc), but...it was noticeable how much of their chat was about where to live and where to put their money so as to minimise their tax. They all left California, which I assume has high state tax, and were now scattered about.

It’s seems to be true that the more you have the easier it is to pay less tax. Maybe the only reason people do, is because they can at that level. Everyone else pays full whack because they have to

Yes or no? Depending on how old you are will dictate your answer! My answer is yes, the actual playing of football comes way down the list of priorities merchandise,money,tv,agents,wages,advertising seem to be far more important....thoughts

Yes.

Especially the money of the sheikhs like PSG, Manchester City or the tycoon (Manchester United) who raise the prices of the players.
How can a defender cost € 80 million, a € 220 million striker, a € 120 million midfielder.

Interesting isn’t it. I had a dinner recently with 6 people who were all part of a mega Silicon Valley start up that you almost certainly use. They were early joiners, like 30th person in the door etc. Not sure, but judging by their lifestyles am guessing all got north of $10m.

Actually quite likeable, and they were doing all the things I would do (read loads, exercise loads, travel loads, start up a fund etc), but...it was noticeable how much of their chat was about where to live and where to put their money so as to minimise their tax. They all left California, which I assume has high state tax, and were now scattered about.

It’s seems to be true that the more you have the easier it is to pay less tax. Maybe the only reason people do, is because they can at that level. Everyone else pays full whack because they have to
Drop the vague no name drop name drop. You sound like a SC itk douche.

Unintentional, and not really itk is it? Pick whatever name you like, won’t make a difference to your life.
Just unnecessary. It’s not fucking deepthroat, you’ve gone out of your way to hide the identity of the alleged startup and yet also out of your way to mention that they were early investors and therefore we should all be impressed by your connections.

9/10 it’s a complete fabrication, no one gives a shit. Could’ve just said you’d read a lot of Silicon Valley investors are leaving California due to taxes. They are and it’s been widely reported on.

Just unnecessary. It’s not fucking deepthroat, you’ve gone out of your way to hide the identity of the alleged startup and yet also out of your way to mention that they were early investors and therefore we should all be impressed by your connections.

9/10 it’s a complete fabrication, no one gives a shit. Could’ve just said you’d read a lot of Silicon Valley investors are leaving California due to taxes. They are and it’s been widely reported on.
Fkn hell someone’s in the mood for it...

Actually, tough guy, I didn’t mention it (gone out of my way lol) because I thought it would seem like name dropping. My humblest apologies for upsetting you.

I have no clue about California state tax...which I actually said. Way to go to find an issue where there isn’t one.

Sorry but that’s disgusting and obscene!

Especially when most of them are a fraction of the real quality of bygone era's

Fucking Sanchez earning 25M in a year....? He'd have been the equivalent of Kinkladze in the 90's....players like Lukaku are no better than Paul Stewart. They put on a pair of fancy headphones and swagger off the coach, and suddenly they're all world class

Fkn hell someone’s in the mood for it...

Actually, tough guy, I didn’t mention it (gone out of my way lol) because I thought it would seem like name dropping. My humblest apologies for upsetting you.

I have no clue about California state tax...which I actually said. Way to go to find an issue where there isn’t one.
If you were wanting to project humility you could’ve said you had dinner with some well off blokes who’ve left California to avoid the tax. It’s a weird fucking comment. You were oddly specific about the number of dinner guests, how early they had invested in this mystery startup, and their estimated worth. But entirely vague on the startup other than it’s something we all use so we obviously should be impressed. Zero difference from the SC cunts whose school chum definitely works for the club and told them X but they can’t say more or their mate might get sacked.

I did an actress you’ve definitely seen in films up the bum, she said the way to get success in Hollywood was to be humble and never turn down work when you’re starting, get a menial job in the industry that gets you on the set and meeting people even if you could make better money in the clubs, and always try to improve your range.

If you were wanting to project humility you could’ve said you had dinner with some well off blokes who’ve left California to avoid the tax. It’s a weird fucking comment. You were oddly specific about the number of dinner guests, how early they had invested in this mystery startup, and their estimated worth. But entirely vague on the startup other than it’s something we all use so we obviously should be impressed. Zero difference from the SC cunts whose school chum definitely works for the club and told them X but they can’t say more or their mate might get sacked.

I did an actress you’ve definitely seen in films up the bum, she said the way to get success in Hollywood was to be humble and never turn down work when you’re starting, get a menial job in the industry that gets you on the set and meeting people even if you could make better money in the clubs, and always try to improve your range.
I wasn’t trying to project humility, I was trying to add some colour to a post which otherwise would have been entirely boring as ‘rich people avoid tax more’.

The point, if you chill out for a moment, was that they weren’t all Philip Green style ogre cunts, rather they were actually quite likelable and relatable, yet still were trying to do the social ill of dodging tax, seemingly.

You’re trying to call me out on something that at best is a misinterpretation, but more likely doesn’t exist. Odd thing to be so vigilante about

Especially when most of them are a fraction of the real quality of bygone era's

Fucking Sanchez earning 25M in a year....? He'd have been the equivalent of Kinkladze in the 90's....players like Lukaku are no better than Paul Stewart. They put on a pair of fancy headphones and swagger off the coach, and suddenly they're all world class
Exactly,you’ve watched thus far the World Cup? what are we ten games in! Other than Spain’s 3rd goal what has there been to shout about,nothing ok Mexico got lucky Germany were horseshit! now if you counted up the wages of the players who have already played just the the better known ones not the guys making up the numbers do you think we’ve had value for money?

Exactly,you’ve watched thus far the World Cup? what are we ten games in! Other than Spain’s 3rd goal what has there been to shout about,nothing ok Mexico got lucky Germany were horseshit! now if you counted up the wages of the players who have already played just the the better known ones not the guys making up the numbers do you think we’ve had value for money?[/QUOTE
Simple answer No! There's a lot to be said for supporting so called "smaller" teams whether club or country expectations are far lower you can just enjoy a victory for what it is....a bonus then when you get your bumps felt by one of the big boys it's not a surprise it was expected brush yourself down and move on!

Exactly,you’ve watched thus far the World Cup? what are we ten games in! Other than Spain’s 3rd goal what has there been to shout about,nothing ok Mexico got lucky Germany were horseshit! now if you counted up the wages of the players who have already played just the the better known ones not the guys making up the numbers do you think we’ve had value for money?
Simple answer...No! A lot to be said for following one of the so called "smaller" teams whether it club or country your expectations are a lot lower! You celebrate and unexpected victory(Mexico) savour it,milk it but if you get your bumps felt it's not a surprise you expected it brush your self down and move on!

I think I can tell you why this is, and it happens to absolutely everyone if/when this circumstance occurs.

Say you earn 40k per year and you know the tax rate is 25%, you know you pay 10k per year and never challenge it......you don't feel you are doing anything special so work your entire career and pay the tax.

If that very same person 10 years into their career comes up with an idea that in one year earns them 2m they will be due to pay 1m of that in tax, now they don't just think "I've earned over 30 years pay net in one year", they look for ways to lower their tax bill as it might be their one and only good idea/pay day in their career.

You could do this tomorrow with Jeremy Corbyn and John McDonnell and they'd behave in the same way.

I think I can tell you why this is, and it happens to absolutely everyone if/when this circumstance occurs.

Say you earn 40k per year and you know the tax rate is 25%, you know you pay 10k per year and never challenge it......you don't feel you are doing anything special so work your entire career and pay the tax.

If that very same person 10 years into their career comes up with an idea that in one year earns them 2m they will be due to pay 1m of that in tax, now they don't just think "I've earned over 30 years pay net in one year", they look for ways to lower their tax bill as it might be their one and only good idea/pay day in their career.

You could do this tomorrow with Jeremy Corbyn and John McDonnell and they'd behave in the same way.
Yeah probably a combo of 3 things:

1) May be only big pay day so trying to secure it
2) if you’re loaded you can afford a clever accountant to help you dodge
3) it feels wrong. Not as a percentage but as an amount. I use about £10k (say) of services a year so that seems fair. Do I use £1m...?

Mind you, if we had to hit our tax receipts with everyone on a flat rate....the big majority of people would be paying a hell of a lot more, most of us (I guess) included.

Back
Top Bottom