Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Toby will be 29 next month .... if we can sell him for stupid money in the summer we probably should .... he's for sure one of the best defenders in the EPL but he's not irreplaceable .... of course we all hope he stays and signs a new contract but if he wants a big pay-day to finish his career then good luck to him .... having said that I fully expect him to start against Juve, we will be playing not to lose in this one .....

Toby will be 29 next month .... if we can sell him for stupid money in the summer we probably should .... he's for sure one of the best defenders in the EPL but he's not irreplaceable .... of course we all hope he stays and signs a new contract but if he wants a big pay-day to finish his career then good luck to him .... having said that I fully expect him to start against Juve, we will be playing not to lose in this one .....

What? Why would we intentionally lose our best defender when we are pushing for silverware and PL in the next years? If we can hold on to Toby we should be doing it at any cost because he is the kind of player we can't just go out and buy, unreal next to Vertonghen and the reason we have had the best defensive record for the past few seasons. Just because we've done well without him for a while doesn't mean he is suddenly surplus to requirements!

You guys have scared the shit out of me with the thought of losing Toby. I didn't find it weird that he didn't play because he's been injured for so long and he will start against juve, but that reaction from Poch is a bit suspect. Perhaps contract talks have broken down. . . Worst thing is that Man City are crying out for someone like him that will complete them.

You guys have scared the shit out of me with the thought of losing Toby. I didn't find it weird that he didn't play because he's been injured for so long and he will start against juve, but that reaction from Poch is a bit suspect. Perhaps contract talks have broken down. . . Worst thing is that Man City are crying out for someone like him that will complete them.

I think Poch seemed pissed of as they are insisting Toby is the better defender than Sanchez, which is true of both fit, yet we keep a clean sheet and they ask why Toby didn't feature?
Was the same for Danny when he came back from injury, Poch didn't want to start Toby so what's the point of him on the bench if he won't feature, prob had him doing some fitness work ready for Tuesday.

Edit - if he doesn't feature Tuesday I may retract the above and melt like ice cream on a summers day!

He will be our elder statesman at the back in 4 years time. Our Baresi

I think Poch said what he said because it he feels any other reaction would be disrespectful to the players who played.

But it wont rule out something like Walker scenario repeating. For now though i believe the former is the cause of this reaction.

What? Why would we intentionally lose our best defender when we are pushing for silverware and PL in the next years? If we can hold on to Toby we should be doing it at any cost because he is the kind of player we can't just go out and buy, unreal next to Vertonghen and the reason we have had the best defensive record for the past few seasons. Just because we've done well without him for a while doesn't mean he is suddenly surplus to requirements!

I think it is more to do with the contract situation, if he isn’t going to sign a new one (and it looks that way) then he needs to be sold this summer. We need to capitalise in his value whilst we can. I personally think City have turned his head.

I think it is more to do with the contract situation, if he isn’t going to sign a new one (and it looks that way) then he needs to be sold this summer. We need to capitalise in his value whilst we can. I personally think City have turned his head.

Respectfully disagree. I think his value to us is more than any potential transfer fee we might receive. And keeping the player would show more ambition than selling him in the Summer.

Respectfully disagree. I think his value to us is more than any potential transfer fee we might receive. And keeping the player would show more ambition than selling him in the Summer.

We could still command £75 million plus for him, the following summer it would be nothing, we cannot afford to allow that to happen. And with Jan entering into his 30s it is even more important that we secure a fee because we won’t on him. I think selling him to City for silly money and then using that for some one like De Ligt makes tremendous sense.

We could still command £75 million plus for him, the following summer it would be nothing, we cannot afford to allow that to happen. And with Jan entering into his 30s it is even more important that we secure a fee because we won’t on him. I think selling him to City for silly money and then using that for some one like De Ligt makes tremendous sense.
Fair enough. I admit I have an aversion to this team being broken up.

If at any point he makes it clear to the club that he wants to move on I’d be 100% in favour of this.

Asshole

I’d hate to lose him but if he won’t sign a contract, then we have to get the money in for him & re invest it.
I’m confident he will sign, & should be given a weighty contract to reflect his value to the club. But he has to be realistic unless he’s already had his head turned by some eye watering deal.

Back
Top Bottom