Juan Foyth

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Like the bit of Argie 'flair' he has as a player, and no doubt he will be a part of their international plans for a long time to come. The only obvious thing I can nitpick with Juan atm, is that he's built like a 18 year old dyke, transitioning to a beta male. His narrow shoulders don't help his case, but he really needs to pack on a bit of upper body size to compensate.

Like the bit of Argie 'flair' he has as a player, and no doubt he will be a part of their international plans for a long time to come. The only obvious thing I can nitpick with Juan atm, is that he's built like a 18 year old dyke, transitioning to a beta male. His narrow shoulders don't help his case, but he really needs to pack on a bit of upper body size to compensate.
Agree. Could definitely do with a main course of traps with a side order of delts!

Very impressed with his performance last night and in his previous other games.

Great on thr ball, not afraid to get stuck in and has some pace.

future looks bright and i cant wait to see him develop more.

Could also be an option for DM with his control/passing. Don't know enough about his awareness/positioning yet.
Just a thought.

Were not even sure as to what position Dier is better in yet. And hes been with us for a few years!
Juan's a promising centre back, who i think poch is managing very well. lets leave that there until we can blow trumpets with more confidence.

As my old man would say "he's mustard".

For a young lad coming from South America to fit in so quickly is a testament to the club and his maturity. I've been very impressed with what i've seen so far. He looks calm without being complacent, a really good purchase. As long as Poch is here developing and giving him game time he will hopefully continue to improve and become a regular within a season or two.

As my old man would say "he's mustard".

For a young lad coming from South America to fit in so quickly is a testament to the club and his maturity. I've been very impressed with what i've seen so far. He looks calm without being complacent, a really good purchase. As long as Poch is here developing and giving him game time he will hopefully continue to improve and become a regular within a season or two.
I think Argentinian players are more readily suited to England than players from a lot of other S American countries for some reason.
They seem to be mentally very tough & able to deal with the physical stuff.
Or maybe I’m just very biased due to our historical Argentinian connections?
:ossie:

I think Argentinian players are more readily suited to England than players from a lot of other S American countries for some reason.
I can think of more Argentinian players that have been a success in the PL than Brazilian

No, I think you are right. However, I think the key is the journey they take. Most leave Argentina very young and go to Italy given the historical and ancestral connections of the two. They leave for the "big time", the dream of the big contract, when they arrive in Italy the hunger and ambition is there. Many of the players that come to England are the players that have earned good money in Europe but that ambition might be questionable as a consequence. But the Argentine leagues are tuff and very aggressive and are played to a backdrop some of the most hostile atmosphere anywhere on the planet.

No, I think you are right. However, I think the key is the journey they take. Most leave Argentina very young and go to Italy given the historical and ancestral connections of the two. They leave for the "big time", the dream of the big contract, when they arrive in Italy the hunger and ambition is there. Many of the players that come to England are the players that have earned good money in Europe but that ambition might be questionable as a consequence. But the Argentine leagues are tuff and very aggressive and are played to a backdrop some of the most hostile atmosphere anywhere on the planet.
Yep. It’s high standard football in Argentina & very demanding crowds. I also think the Argentinians are far more “European” than their other S American counterparts. They definitely seem to travel across the Atlantic better. I thought I was maybe seeing it through Spurs tinted glasses, but maybe it’s just the way it is.

Yep. It’s high standard football in Argentina & very demanding crowds. I also think the Argentinians are far more “European” than their other S American counterparts. They definitely seem to travel across the Atlantic better. I thought I was maybe seeing it through Spurs tinted glasses, but maybe it’s just the way it is.
Agree mostly, although the standard of the football in Argentina is not that high, mainly due to the fact that hundreds play in Europe and they are predominantly the better quality players. It means that those left are either Meh, has beens, or are very young.

I think Brazilians are well traveled and the flow of them to Europe is also huge for the same reasons. Hard to make direct comparisons as I can't see beyond the "big" names or "big" transfers but the impression I have is given the number of Brazilians that have played in England I am struggling to think of more than 10 names that could be called a success (Luiz, Willian, Gilberto Silva, Courtinho, Juninho, Fernandinho), for me easily the most successful was Juninho, absolutely brilliant, he lit up the pitch also really seemed to enjoy his time in NE, still goes there lost apparently. Possible additions to that list would be Gommes (not a great career but a long one), Firmino (too early), Jesus (too early), would love to add Sandro to that but in reality he had no more than one outstanding season and another good one.

He's a legend already...played Rochdale in a snow blizzard and minus 4 temperatures wearing a short sleeved shirt and no gloves...

As an Argie maybe I can help. I was having a similar discussion with a Brazilian bloke not too long ago. Long story short, we agreed that culturally, we argies are closer to the old world than say, the U.S while for Brazilians is just the opposite. Now, when football is concerned, there is definitely a parallel between English and Argentine footy both in the pitch and in the stands. Again this is all my personal observation, but while culturally Spain and Italy might be similar to the ways of an Argie, in football, England is where it's closest to playing like its home.

Agree. The question is, why didn't start against Leicester? especially after Jan pulled up pre-match
Why is Dier preferred at centre back to Sanchez or Foyth?? Don't get it.

Fair question. Specially in the light when we had to use Wanyama-Sissoko midfield and putting Foyth on would have meant the possibility to use Dier in CM... It is hard to imagine that we would have leaked more than 4 goals with him in defence. So bit weird for me.

So now he has 8 full games under his belt for us and somewhat surprisingly same amount from Estidiantes. So only 16 in total, might Poch have considered him to be too "green"?

Fair question. Specially in the light when we had to use Wanyama-Sissoko midfield and putting Foyth on would have meant the possibility to use Dier in CM... It is hard to imagine that we would have leaked more than 4 goals with him in defence. So bit weird for me.

So now he has 8 full games under his belt for us and somewhat surprisingly same amount from Estidiantes. So only 16 in total, might Poch have considered him to be too "green"?
My guess is it was a case of "protecting" him. Maybe he wants Juan to be more prepared for his prem debut rather than be thrown in on short notice like this. Had it been a game with more on the line and we had fumbled in defence Juan would have been the likely scape goat.

Or he just felt that Victor had seniority and decided to put him on

Back
Top Bottom