Come here to laugh at Citeh

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I despise Guardiola. Possibly the most smug person walking the planet.

And he thinks it’s ok for him to wear his political ribbon? Does he also think it’s ok for someone to wear a swastika? An NRA badge? Where does he feel the line should be drawn?

wtf serious?

One is a region that is oppressed by the Spanish state, the other was a fucked up ideology that was the cause of millions and millions of peoples death.

I seriously despair sometimes.....

wtf serious?

One is a region that is oppressed by the Spanish state, the other was a fucked up ideology that was the cause of millions and millions of peoples death.

I seriously despair sometimes.....
Despair away.

It was an extreme comparison to be fair, but one that should open up debate. I don’t think that sport needs to be politicized in any way. And that includes the wearing of such symbols. If we allow one, who decides who else is allowed? I agree heartily about your “fucked up ideology” comment, but many wouldn’t.

Should we allow Brexit badges? Britain First buttons? Yes to Scottish Independence logos?

I’m pretty sure that a huge number of Spanish people found the ribbon to be offensive. Who decides they are wrong?

Guardiola is the equivalent of one of those pentecostal megachurch preachers with a private jet and hundreds of millions in the bank. To quote Bill Hicks, he's sucking satan's cock. He knows he's a whore, he's smart enough to know it, but takes the gamble nevertheless. yolo

Despair away.

It was an extreme comparison to be fair, but one that should open up debate. I don’t think that sport needs to be politicized in any way. And that includes the wearing of such symbols. If we allow one, who decides who else is allowed? I agree heartily about your “fucked up ideology” comment, but many wouldn’t.

Should we allow Brexit badges? Britain First buttons? Yes to Scottish Independence logos?

I’m pretty sure that a huge number of Spanish people found the ribbon to be offensive. Who decides they are wrong?
I don't even think England players should wear poppies to be honest.

Last edited:
Despair away.

Im not sure they found it offensive, why offensive, were you offended when Scotland had a referendum, was anyone? The only thing i found offensive about it was seeing Krankie constantly disparaging what they get from the English. I wouldn't be offended by someone wearing those badges because i can just ignore them, i can have an opinion on them or might want to understand more about their cause but i wouldn't want to stop them, surely thats a form of Fascism in itself?

I personally think if someone wants to support a cause or make a political statement, then fine go ahead, just don't try and force your beliefs down other peoples throats, Pep didn't did he? Obviously terrorist, racist and left/right wing fascism should not be allowed.

If we're going to ban politics from sport though then please please ban it from Music, Entertainment, our schools etc etc Hearing Jennifer Lawrence is to take a year out of filming to educate (brainwash) kids on politics makes me puke, same as all of the other luvvies spewing their pathetic liberal virtue signalling dogma from ivory towers makes me puke even more.

Why can't people just understand and accept we're all not the same, we all have different views and beliefs?

I don't even think England players should wear poppies to be honest.

A little bit off topic but I don't think they should be in the Premier League either. I think we opened a can of worms there that could lead to other contentious campaigns.

The poppy campaign is a worthwhile cause but telling anyone with a profile they have to wear it makes it look like a duty and not a real personal endorsement.

We did go for a good few decades without wearing poppies on football shirts and I don't remember anyone saying it was disrespectful.

Footballers are human too and I prefer them being political even when it’s against my views ( BAE or Pep) then being daft role models who’s only interest is shagging bints.

As to the swastika I’m of course against, so how I can I not be hypocritical about it without drawing a non arbitrary line about accepted and non accepted speech? Easy, as Rawls said there are political issues reasonable people can differ on (like Brexit) and there are those that you can’t (like extermination of millions)

Should be a personal choice as regards the poppy. If people want to recognise & remember the bravery of those who have lost their lives, then why shouldn’t they be allowed to? It’s the polar opposite of a swastika which is a sinister symbol of fear, hatred, & mass murder.

Should be a personal choice as regards the poppy. If people want to recognise & remember the bravery of those who have lost their lives, then why shouldn’t they be allowed to? It’s the polar opposite of a swastika which is a sinister symbol of fear, hatred, & mass murder.
Of course but we are using two easy examples here. The issue is the Line. Should just not have any political symbols at all.

The bursting of man City invincible best team in Europe tag that the media like to Bragg on about can only be a good thing in the long term for the league.

If more teams can go at them they may next season not run away with it.

Footballers are human too and I prefer them being political even when it’s against my views ( BAE or Pep) then being daft role models who’s only interest is shagging bints.

As to the swastika I’m of course against, so how I can I not be hypocritical about it without drawing a non arbitrary line about accepted and non accepted speech? Easy, as Rawls said there are political issues reasonable people can differ on (like Brexit) and there are those that you can’t (like extermination of millions)

So what are those 'reasonable issues' .... Mao killed far more people than Hitler yet his face is still on Chinese currency ... is that acceptable? ... if so would a Euro with Hitler's face on it be OK ...

The number of deaths in the name of Christianity makes Hitler and his Swastika look pretty small time ... but I think you'll find the symbol of the Cross still gets out there ... is that not unreasonable?

Clearly it's not as straightforward as you suggest ....

Sport, Religion and Politics should never mix .... even a small break in that policy is a slippery slope ...

So what are those 'reasonable issues' .... Mao killed far more people than Hitler yet his face is still on Chinese currency ... is that acceptable? ... if so would a Euro with Hitler's face on it be OK ...

The number of deaths in the name of Christianity makes Hitler and his Swastika look pretty small time ... but I think you'll find the symbol of the Cross still gets out there ... is that not unreasonable?

Clearly it's not as straightforward as you suggest ....

Sport, Religion and Politics should never mix .... even a small break in that policy is a slippery slope ...
Well I don’t think Mao should be displayed in Europe but the comparison to Hitler is really not good. We don’t compare only consequences but what brought them about, Mao was wrong and killed millions but the reasons for it were not outright evil (unlike hitler or Stalin). Accordingly reasonable people differ on some aspects of China’s Maoism, none differ on Nazism.

As to mixing sports and politics, that’s firstly a political demand (for football not to have politics involved) and is silencing the freedom of speech of those this media can actually empower them through it. Secondly, everything in social life is political trying to sterilize something from politics is doomed to fail

Some bizarre views on this thread. Sport and politics have always been linked - look up the history of the Olympic Games.

If you don't like Pep's yellow ribbon or whatever, then let's call it for what it is - something that doesn't sit right with you, or isn't part of your own politics.

Well I don’t think Mao should be displayed in Europe but the comparison to Hitler is really not good. We don’t compare only consequences but what brought them about, Mao was wrong and killed millions but the reasons for it were not outright evil (unlike hitler or Stalin). Accordingly reasonable people differ on some aspects of China’s Maoism, none differ on Nazism.

As to mixing sports and politics, that’s firstly a political demand (for football not to have politics involved) and is silencing the freedom of speech of those this media can actually empower them through it. Secondly, everything in social life is political trying to sterilize something from politics is doomed to fail

Agree completely. I actually find it refreshing when articulate sportspeople use their platform to speak truth to power. Look at Ali's role in the civil rights movement. They didn't call him 'the greatest' for nothing.

It is definitely possible to do politics badly, which is a different thing entirely.

Poppies at football matches has tipped over to "Ludicrous":

This is like something from a sketch show.

By the way I have no issue with poppies and whatnot, I just think the arms race to see who can have the biggest one on their shirts or the most minutes silences really distracts from what the point of it is. Also when my grandad - who actually fought in WW2 - was alive we somehow got by without any poppies at football at all. It's for some reason only in the past few years that this has all blown up.

I disagree in the extreme. Mao absolutely deserves to be mentioned in the same company as Hitler; his motivations were very little different from either Hitler or Stalin, and he killed more than both of them put together. 40 to 70 million dead, the worst death toll in history. Mao was a brutal, repressive dictator that created enormous unnecessary human suffering and loss, and nobody should conveniently ignore that history.

When people try to rehabilitate Mao's image they mark themselves as either ignorant of history, or as extremist idealogues.

Back
Top Bottom