If Poch does go, who would you like to see next?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Watched his interview. He says “we” more often than he mentions someone else being the manager. Media love to stir shit.

Personally think he was referencing the “process” will continue with or without him when he alluded to not being in charge.

But who knows?

I hope he stays and believe he will for at least one more season.

But when he gets shit for not contending with maybe the biggest club in the world -whose investment in three players amounts to more than the investment in our whole squad - he must wonder what is realistic and what he can achieve here if winning is the only yardstick.

And I know who I would rather have had over the last few seasons between him, Sherwood and AVB and Redknapp.

Where would he go? He has to win something with us. Not necessarily out of loyalty, just for his career, but if he does go we’re fucked, and right back down to scuffing about mid-table. Be careful what you wish for. He has made us into a top side - although not one I’m prepared to pay £100 a week to watch. The club, and a significant amount of our fanbase is fucked up. All yours chaps.

why didnt poch go with a back 3 (dier, sanchez, jan) and dembele wanyama in the middle on saturday? thought toby would be in the back or at least dier. Why change the shape. We basically lost two goals from them coming in wide positions

Why change what shape? ....We've been playing 4231 with Sanchez & Jan ever since Toby pulled up injured (Nov?).

Besides, as much as his future is of understandable interest, in the context of last weekend, Toby is the proverbial dead horse. Let it go!!!

You’re being a total ingrate. Redknapp has steadied a sinking ship that was bottom of the league and actually made us a competitive team. We got to a CL quarter final at the first attempt because of what he’s got out of them. Whether Levy got lucky or knew something the rest didn’t, we struck gold getting this guy as our manager. It’s fucking disgraceful how quick some people are to start claiming he’s not going enough for us. Just you wait and see what happens when he’s not around any more. Do you really think we would get a Mourinho or Ferguson level manager if he leaves? No fucking chance. They couldn’t handle having a reduced budget

This bollocks again?????? :pochfacepalm:

I really wish we had pep as a manger, he has done so much for city on such a limited budget! :nawty:

In terms of player value rather than cost, Pochettino has been blessed; prior to this season he had two £50m England fullbacks, France captain in goal, the two best centre backs in the league, the best striker, a peerless playmaker in Eriksen, two midfield monsters in Wanyama and Dembele plus an Eric Dier Mourinho wanted to pay £50m for....and still finished behind far inferior Leicester and Chelsea teams in consecutive seasons.

How much would you say Alli and Eriksen would cost? £100m+ each? Kane £200m? Levy’s about to demand £40m+ for Toby despite his chaotic season. Enough of this ‘pauper Poch’ nonsense - he’s got a squad that’s worth about £600m to work with.

Mourinho’s finishing second with fucking Valencia and Ashley young at fullback and a collection of crocked centre backs making cameos.

Why change what shape? ....We've been playing 4231 with Sanchez & Jan ever since Toby pulled up injured (Nov?).

Besides, as much as his future is of understandable interest, in the context of last weekend, Toby is the proverbial dead horse. Let it go!!!

No im some games we've used dier there. If it wasn't going to be toby then should have been dier.

In terms of player value rather than cost, Pochettino has been blessed; prior to this season he had two £50m England fullbacks, France captain in goal, the two best centre backs in the league, the best striker, a peerless playmaker in Eriksen, two midfield monsters in Wanyama and Dembele plus an Eric Dier Mourinho wanted to pay £50m for....and still finished behind far inferior Leicester and Chelsea teams in consecutive seasons.

How much would you say Alli and Eriksen would cost? £100m+ each? Kane £200m? Levy’s about to demand £40m+ for Toby despite his chaotic season. Enough of this ‘pauper Poch’ nonsense - he’s got a squad that’s worth about £600m to work with.

Mourinho’s finishing second with fucking Valencia and Ashley young at fullback and a collection of crocked centre backs making cameos.

But with a greater array of attacking talent. Plus anti football when in the lead.

I'm not reading this thread because fuck that. Can someone just tell me if there are solid rumours (so don't cite TalkSport/the Express/a rival forum as evidence) this is even a slight possibility, or is it just people chatting breeze because we've not won a couple of games?

Ok so the wanyama and Rose you speak about, how many games have they started this season? Same goes for Toby....
Any way I, sure if you get your wish and Poch does go, then we will see the true value for al these players, as over the next season or 2 the majority would leave!

My initial question when I started this thread is what if Poch decides himself it's time to go. Where does the club go next to continue his good work. It was not a melt as we lost a couple of games. I never suggested that he should be sacked, far from it, I hope he stays for many years. But what if, what if his head is turned by another job. What if he decides he has reached his glass ceiling with this team. The club is the sum of many parts, like life people resign, people get sacked, people go on sabbaticals, people die but in the end the club will always be here. At the end of the day most of us want what's best for the club. I will now move to lands end as suggested by previous posts.

We need to remember both him and Levy are on the same page with 'our process' and it more than likely originated with Levy as he's stated more than once that huge player wages and transfer fees aren't sustainable.

As a club we have to be shrewd, we're creating things that improve player's day-to-day working environment, this means a lot, they don't want to turn up to a portacabin every day. We have a stadium that will not only generate more match day revenue but additional funds from the NFL and other entertainment events. There will be extra revenue streams once the ground perimeter is complete and hotel built. The new business model is about being self-sustained, so we're here in another 100 years... The only way to achieve this is youth development and clever purchases.

We have a decent team now but look at all the players and their level when we purchased them. How many were classed as world beater?

I couldn’t care less about CL qualification...
If you were to try to identify the root cause of your problem with Pochettino, I think it would be these few words.

Whether we like it or not, developments like the evolution of the former European Cup for champions into a money-spinning Champions League competition for 'also-rans' (together with the winners of the glorified repechage round, the Europa League), has fundamentally changed the way clubs think. Revenue is now the be-all and end-all, with domestic cup success more an inconvenience than an ambition. It's become a rather tragic anti-sport in many ways, with some teams being backed by corrupt individuals and regimes whose primary aim is to elevate their status, not by winning anything meaningful, but by breaking the record transfer fee, or paying record wages. Take the Neymar transfer: was this really anything other than a €222 million advertisement for Qatar? And, you can be sure someone at the Bernabeu will be trying desperately to find a way to reinstate Real Madrid as 'transfer record' title holders. FFP, what FFP?

I guess my point is, if you start out targeting a seat at the top table, as our club does, then CL qualification is paramount. And if you, as a supporter, were to reevaluate the job Pochettino has done through this prism, it's hard to escape the conclusion he's done a fantastic job, in my view.

what I object to about this thread is that it could have been discussed in the Pochettino one. However we get non-contributors starting new pointless threads based on very minor comments. Thus causing meltdown. Would love Poch to stay forever, however understand he will one day move on. That day is yet to come and as such why are even discussing this non-event.

Back
Top Bottom