If Poch does go, who would you like to see next?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

No Poch didn’t make us contenders, he has played a part in us becoming contenders. The structure ( board, recruitment and youth set up) was already in place as was the nucleus of the squad was there. He has undoubtedly improved that playing squad but let’s not pretend that this isn’t a club that finished 4th, 5th 4th 5th and 6th this decade prior to his arrival.

And he isn’t the most important person at the club, it is a collective effort. His contribution is being massively overplayed, the suggestion is that this largely done to him which is quite frankly absurd because if you think he couldn’t replicate this at a club like Newcastle for instance is pure fantasy.

I cannot fathom why anyone would think a manager should be above scrutiny or critique and the notion that a supporter doing this cannot be considered a fan is absolutely laughable. Any manager regardless of who they are should be constantly evaluated especially when we have this limited window of opportunity for major silverware given the squad we have.

I couldn’t care less about CL qualification, it’s this preoccupation with the CL is the reason why he now finds himself under large pressure to win silverware. He has squandered countless opportunities in the cup tournaments by focusing on these so called higher priorities.
I get what you're saying, and agree with some of it. But RE CL, I bet my pants that had he snared a league cup and fa cup in the last 4 years, the media narrative would be "No CL yet...needs it, or the players will all be off"

If you were to try to identify the root cause of your problem with Pochettino, I think it would be these few words.

Whether we like it or not, developments like the evolution of the former European Cup for champions into a money-spinning Champions League competition for 'also-rans' (together with the winners of the glorified repechage round, the Europa League), has fundamentally changed the way clubs think. Revenue is now the be-all and end-all, with domestic cup success more an inconvenience than an ambition. It's become a rather tragic anti-sport in many ways, with some teams being backed by corrupt individuals and regimes whose primary aim is to elevate their status, not by winning anything meaningful, but by breaking the record transfer fee, or paying record wages. Take the Neymar transfer: was this really anything other than a €222 million advertisement for Qatar? And, you can be sure someone at the Bernabeu will be trying desperately to find a way to reinstate Real Madrid as 'transfer record' title holders. FFP, what FFP?

I guess my point is, if you start out targeting a seat at the top table, as our club does, then CL qualification is paramount. And if you, as a supporter, were to reevaluate the job Pochettino has done through this prism, it's hard to escape the conclusion he's done a fantastic job, in my view.

I need to re-evaluate my postion through due to the revenue he has generated the club and due to this being basis of success in the corporate game?What an astonishing thing for a supporter to say, a stockholder yes but I cannot fathom the rationale of a supporter championing this, then board yes supporter no.

As I have stated numerous times, we are not going to be an elite club certainly not without a sovereign wealth fund or oligarch behind us. It’s pure wishing thinking on supporters behalf, to put this into context we made £52 million from the CL. What does that afford you on today’s market? Not a lot is the answer so this notion that it will enable clubs to sign players that we previously couldn’t ( look at the level of signings we have made since qualifying) and it won’t enable us to operate a payroll that we will enable us to retain our best.

Like many others you are chasing an illusion which when you assess our financial capacity quickly falls away. I wonder how many years need to pass before our supporterbase wake up to this?

I get what you're saying, and agree with some of it. But RE CL, I bet my pants that had he snared a league cup and fa cup in the last 4 years, the media narrative would be "No CL yet...needs it, or the players will all be off"

I really couldn’t give a flying fuck what the media say. If we win silverware then who gives a shit.

I really couldn’t give a flying fuck what the media say. If we win silverware then who gives a shit.
You may not, but there are plenty that do believe the media agenda. Some will be posting on here too.

For what it's worth, I do believe he should have thrown more at the lesser trophies, simply because i believe it doesn't matter what a player has won elsewhere, a team has to learn what it feels like. First is hardest to win etc

I need to re-evaluate my postion through due to the revenue he has generated the club and due to this being basis of success in the corporate game?What an astonishing thing for a supporter to say, a stockholder yes but I cannot fathom the rationale of a supporter championing this, then board yes supporter no.
You've somehow managed to both dismiss and validate my point in your opening two sentences.

As I have stated numerous times, we are not going to be an elite club certainly not without a sovereign wealth fund or oligarch behind us. It’s pure wishing thinking on supporters behalf, to put this into context we made £52 million from the CL. What does that afford you on today’s market? Not a lot is the answer so this notion that it will enable clubs to sign players that we previously couldn’t ( look at the level of signings we have made since qualifying) and it won’t enable us to operate a payroll that we will enable us to retain our best.

Like many others you are chasing an illusion which when you assess our financial capacity quickly falls away. I wonder how many years need to pass before our supporterbase wake up to this?
I agree that the extra money from the CL is not a factor, but the prestige of the competition is: players want to be seen and showcase their abilities because, if you hadn't noticed, a lot of them are proper tarts. It really isn't astonishing what coughymachine coughymachine is saying; he's seeing the world for what it is, and in no way is he defending the sorry state of affairs. There are very few on in forum that are happy with the direction the game is going. But if we want to talk about the possibility of winning anything, finishing in the top four and being competitive in the CL is a must.

The exact people isn't all that relevant - no one would have done better than Poch from the same position.

Despite Simeone winning titles and reaching CL finals with a lesser Atleti team competing with Barca and Real, rather than Leicester and a bum Chelsea team? There are examples of coaches achieving more with less than Pochettino all over Europe.

Levy has built a fantastic squad, Pochettino is managing it fairly well; nothing more.

Pochettino is like his idol Bielsa and Keegan, a favourite with the hipsters but ultimately a fucking loser.

Despite Simeone winning titles and reaching CL finals with a lesser Atleti team competing with Barca and Real, rather than Leicester and a bum Chelsea team? There are examples of coaches achieving more with less than Pochettino all over Europe.

Levy has built a fantastic squad, Pochettino is managing it fairly well; nothing more.

Pochettino is like his idol Bielsa and Keegan, a favourite with the hipsters but ultimately a fucking loser.

Simeone inherited a team that had won the Europa League 13 months earlier

Poch inherited a mess created by this guy :sherwoodlol:

previously we've never had consistency of managerial approach

'Arry
AVB
tictacs Tim

looking at that lot, and add Baldini's in the main daft buys, it was a miracle that it only took one season and the first 4 games of the next to turn things around.

When Pochettino does eventually leave, he'll have created such a legacy here that he probably gets a say in who eventually replaces him. Someone he thinks can continue that legacy. Yes, that's me saying Pochettino will be here 10+ years and will see glories with us.

Sure, it's frustrating that we haven't won anything yet and it's mind numbingly boring to keep hearing "project this, project that, we deserve trophies, if we keep at it we'll eventually win etc" - but I think we will eventually win something.

I do think Pochettino's lack of care for the League Cup and comments at times regarding the FA Cup do rub off on the players and the fans putting obscene pressure on the players doesn't help - these players are more than good enough to win something though.

Back
Top Bottom