Summer 2018 transfer window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

A week to go to the start of the World Cup and just over 2 months to go to the start of the season so a long way to go in the Transfer Market, but this could be the early business :

1. Grealish (maybe £15m - £20m) in as back up for Eriksen

2 Either Martial or Zaha in as AM and another alternative striker (with Son) to when Kane is rested or injured.

i) A deal for Martial seems to be linked to a sale of Alderweireld, but do ManU see it that way ?

ii) Crystal; Palace are 2 months late in filing their 30 June 2017 accounts which should have been filed by 31 March 2018, almost certainly an indication that Palace are in financial trouble and need to sell Zaha. Biggest problem could be not the size of fee, but how much Palace are paid up front - DL would prefer the (say) £50m fee to be paid over the length of the 5 year contract (ie £10m pa) or at most £25m up front, whereas Palace want more up front.

3 The CB position needs resolving, but it looks further down the line than the first two deals

4, All the rumours seem to be that Dembele is off, but where and how much seem up in the air. Equally who comes in at CM is unknown - a thousand possibilities it seems but no firm favourites appearing out of the media or the dreaded ITK.

Early indications are that Poch's targets suggests another tweak to the formation with speedy AM/Wingers coming in to provide the pace that Walker/Rose used to provide. So expect 2 of Son, Moura and Zaha/Martial to be either side of Kane,

I do wonder if that means Eriksen (and alternate Grealish) playing a deeper role maybe alongside a DM (Wanyama.Dier) and a CM like Winks. The alternate lineup would be to have 2 in the middle and 3 at the back - but that may depend on whether Alderweireld strays to play alongside Vertonghen and Sanchez.

Let the transfer drama unfold !

Disagree magi if you wish but please tell us what you think is going on right now - not what you would like to read !

I do not get how Liverpool manages to get players like Keita, Salah and Fekir seemingly without competition. They were heading towards cementing a place outside the top four, but their transfer dealings lately have been quite fucking excellent. They buy quality.

and how many times have they finished above Spurs in the last 10 seasons ?

So has there transfer dealings actually worked as well as they might have hoped ?

It’s a valid point. I think his haircut makes him look like peripatetic Romanian teenager that’s big on house music and Rohypnol.

But he is good. My only concern would be his pace.
I agree he's not the paciest of players but hes not the slowest of players either. He glides past players without using pace. Honestly think he's very similar to Waddle. And if he turns out to be half as good then it will be a great buy ! I think its a case of he's not a player from a 'Bigger Club' which is why some are complaining :pochrolleyes:

He's Orem quality but. Not top six. Not even top half in my view. PLUS issues over his behavior/attitude. Can't imagine why we'd be interested.
The interest is there and there are also other top 6 clubs interested. His behaviour/attitude thing is something in the past if you read the article posted above which it confirms this... being surrounded by experienced pros such as Terry, Snodgrass,Jedinak and Chester has put him in a good place.

Our players make up half of the England starting XI yet we don’t have enough “homegrown players”

Something doesn’t add up.

ManCs and Chelscum have matches where not a single English player starts for tbem

Our players make up half of the England starting XI yet we don’t have enough “homegrown players”

ManCs and Chelscum have matches where not a single English player starts for tbem

Dier was brought up in Portugal so he's not home grown.

Our home grown contingent - Kane, Dele, Rose, Trippier and Winks.

All others over 21 are counted as overseas trained.

Lanzini just suffered big injury for Argentina, big buzz around Twitter that Lamela gets call up for WC.
In today's morning training, the rupture of the anterior cruciate ligament of his right knee.

Last edited:
What is the significance of having or not having home grown players as far as we need trophies!

PS, It's good to see the likes of Kane, Rose....in the team.

Yep this just doesn’t seem right somehow. The fact that Dier and Davies don’t count as Home grown is stupid. Davies in particular. Swansea are in the English league!

Has anyone ever seen young Jack and Father Damo from Father Ted the same room??

Damo-Grealish.jpg

What is the significance of having or not having home grown players as far as we need trophies!

PS, It's good to see the likes of Kane, Rose....in the team.

Clubs are allowed a maximum of 17 overseas trained players in their squads, which is not enough players to play consistently in 4 competitions or win trophies, hence the need for homegrown players to ensure we have a big enough squad - up to 8 homegrown players is very good where 4 or more are club trained

Back
Top Bottom