Video Assistant Referee

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Maybe less so after reading this.

World Cup 2018: Assistant refs to keep flag down for tight offside calls

World Cup assistant referees have been told to keep their flag down for tight offside calls to enable VAR to make the correct decision, says Fifa referees committee chairman Pierluigi Collina.

Russia 2018 will be the first World Cup to use the video assistant referee system.

"If you see some assistant referee not raising the flag it's not because he's making mistakes," said Collina.

"It's because he's respected the instruction to keep the flag down."

Italian former referee Collina was speaking at the World Cup referees media briefing on Tuesday.

"They were told to keep the flag down when there is a tight offside incident and there could be a very promising attack or a goal-scoring opportunity because if the assistant referee raises the flag then everything is finished," he said.

"If the assistant referee keeps the flag down and the play goes on and maybe a goal comes at the end, there is a chance to review the goal using the technology."

Disaster. Let the fans go wild with excitement only to disallow it 3mins latter, then endure the near constant media outrage and coverage that will follow instead of analysing the game.

Disaster. Let the fans go wild with excitement only to disallow it 3mins latter, then endure the near constant media outrage and coverage that will follow instead of analysing the game.

It’s going to kill the game if it’s allowed to become standard.

Eventually fans won’t be going wild at all, as everyone will be wondering if some timid brush of shoulders 30 yards from the action is going to cause a goal to be disallowed. The euphoria of the moment will be gone.

It’s going to kill the game if it’s allowed to become standard.

Eventually fans won’t be going wild at all, as everyone will be wondering if some timid brush of shoulders 30 yards from the action is going to cause a goal to be disallowed. The euphoria of the moment will be gone.
I think the game will still be there. It will just be like going to an NFL game, with people more interested in food, half-time shows and what's going on on the giant TV screens, by the way there might be a game of football happening somewhere in the stadium, where the fans are told to cheer and clap by the PA. Happy days.

Have to say I have been really impressed with VAR at the World Cup. After seeing how badly it was used in cups in England I thought it was going to be a disaster but now it seems to be being used much better. I think it makes a huge difference having the ref going over to see the footage himself and that it is the ref who makes the call not some guy in a truck miles away from the game. It hasn't caused the huge delays that people were worried about and I think if anything it has just added to the drama.

Are people still against VAR or has the WC changed your opinion too? I wonder if the Premier League clubs were to vote again now it would be introduced.

Have to say I have been really impressed with VAR at the World Cup. After seeing how badly it was used in cups in England I thought it was going to be a disaster but now it seems to be being used much better. I think it makes a huge difference having the ref going over to see the footage himself and that it is the ref who makes the call not some guy in a truck miles away from the game. It hasn't caused the huge delays that people were worried about and I think if anything it has just added to the drama.

Are people still against VAR or has the WC changed your opinion too? I wonder if the Premier League clubs were to vote again now it would be introduced.
I was always for VAR, until the catastrophic test runs done this season. Now I'm back in favour again, it definitely can benefit the game if it catches out cheats like Neymar, it still needs some kinks ironing out but that will just take time

I am not as vehemently opposed as I was after Rochdale. Good to see that ref overrule it yesterday too. The England penalty claims that were missed need some explaining though.

I'm still of the opinion that in some cases it causes more controversies than it clears. If the officials are not allowed to do their job on the field, then remove them and let them officiate from the sidelines. Would be interesting to see what happens if there is a punch up. Too much messing around will seriously ruin all spontaneity.

I think the game will still be there. It will just be like going to an NFL game, with people more interested in food, half-time shows and what's going on on the giant TV screens, by the way there might be a game of football happening somewhere in the stadium, where the fans are told to cheer and clap by the PA. Happy days.
Delusional

Agreed - let's rather have blatant cheating and goals that shouldn't stand as long as fans are celebrating

No dissaproving.
Just like the majority of football supporters, the ones that actually go to the games, sit in the stadium and have experienced a real, actual live game a football where VAR has completely fucked it up and ruined the experience.
Technology which improves the game by and large - get with the times old pal

You wouldn't know what it's like to be a fan at a football match. Doubt you have EVER been to a live game in your life.
Oh dear - that’s embarrassing ever for your own exceptionally low standards you pompous old fool. It’s ok - let’s rather have cheats in the game, right?

Oh dear - that’s embarrassing ever for your own exceptionally low standards you pompous old fool. It’s ok - let’s rather have cheats in the game, right?
Have you ever been to a live football match with VAR?

I'm with Poch mate, it's all part of the game. You wouldn't know of course having never played before, if you had, you would know.

Have you ever been to a live football match with VAR?

I'm with Poch mate, it's all part of the game. You wouldn't know of course having never played before, if you had, you would know.
Lol - I’ve played and managed for the last 25 years. As I said - don’t let ignorance get in your way though. You’ve never EVER been wrong on here once so wont hold my breath. Typical know it all old man. Blah blah blah, back in my day men were men, football was football, etc. Mr NEVER wrong now condones cheating. Oh well

Technology which improves the game by and large - get with the times old pal
I love goal line tech. It's brilliant.

VAR doesn't improve the game. Doesn't improve the decisions, they are still interpretations of the laws which means some people will say it is, whilst other say it isn't. Have you watched the last 3 games played today?

I love goal line tech. It's brilliant.

VAR doesn't improve the game. Doesn't improve the decisions, they are still interpretations of the laws which means some people will say it is, whilst other say it isn't. Have you watched the last 3 games played today?
It improves the decisions more often than not and eliminates blatant cheating - fact.

Lol - I’ve played and managed for the last 25 years. As I said - don’t let ignorance get in your way though. You’ve never EVER been wrong on here once so wont hold my breath. Typical know it all old man. Blah blah blah, back in my day men were men, football was football, etc. Mr NEVER wrong now condones cheating. Oh well
Please fuck off you absolute cunt.

Answer the question. Have you ever attended a live game with VAR?

Back
Top Bottom