Video Assistant Referee

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I HATE it. Destroys the flow of the game. And checking every goal to see if it's 100% legitimate is utter bollocks as you can only half-heatedly celebrate for fear of being bitterly disappointed.

Apparently 8+ mins should have been added to that half. Notice how only 5 were added because the refs don't wanna embarrass themselves by whacking the real number on the board. It's pathetic.

Last edited:
Stick your VAR up your fucking arse. I've always been against it and now having witnessed the cunting thing in the flesh it's far, far worse than I even thought imaginable. Absolutely no fucking idea what is going on, score a goal, best not celebrate it, best wait for 5mins before it's given or not. Surely those that are in favour of it have to admit it's a pile of wank. Accept football is about mistakes, mistakes forced, mistakes unforced, mistakes from the ref, from the players, from the managers, it's what football is.

Just a load of old cock.

Last edited:
Even if it worked perfectly I would still hate it. Everytime something like that happens, where delirium turns to dispair or confusion, like with us on wednesday or Man city fans a few years ago, it is like getting burned. Bit by bit, over time goals will be celebrated less. Poor decisions make people angry , but I never wanted to stop watching football after one - but VAR makes football passionless.

The clear and obvious has always been the issue it's not being used as intended and it's killing the game

Couple of things need to happen

1) Refs need mics and have to clearly explain what they are looking for

2) VAR should be used much like TMO is in rugby. The onfield decision should stand unless clearly proven otherwise EG pen is given VAR checks and clearly sees no contact and then it intervenes and it has a max of 90secs to make a decision

The system was sold to us to stop Henry handballs and Drogba 10m offside goals not to spend 4 minutes checking if Kanes big toe was ahead of the ball whilst it doesn't have a clear angle of the defenders leg legit stood next to Kane.

It's killing the game and it's getting to the point now I don't celebrate goals. Cause I just expect something to happen with VAR now

Last edited:
Lol e eryonesaying VAR should only be used when.....

Fuck it off and leave football as it was. If you can’t celebrate a goal when it’s scored then football is dead.
Dead.

We have a situation where the fans don’t know the rules, the refs seem not to know the rules and the technology still struggles to work out if something is on/offside.

We have turned football into quantum theory. Offside was created to stop goal hanging with the benefit of the doubt always given to the attacker. Handball was designed to stop Maradonna like goals, deliberate use of arm/hand.

VAR and the football authorities have bastardised football and what it was meant to be.

Just imagine that game was shown to people ten years ago…. 25 mins added time, stop start no flow, constant forensic analysis with the fucking dweeb officials front and centre of the entire game. No way would anyone advocate VAR

That game should be a case study for urgent reform. It’s completely changed the game

The International Football Association Board (IFAB) has updated the Laws of the Game for the 2019/20 season.

Handballs

Any goal scored or created with the use of the hand or arm will be disallowed this season even if it is accidental.

The handball rule now has extra clarity because it does not consider intent by a player.

Another big change is to do with the position of a player's hand/arm.

If the ball hits a player who has made their body "unnaturally bigger" then a foul will be awarded.

IFAB says that having the hand/arm above shoulder height is rarely a "natural" position and a player is "taking a risk" by having the hand/arm in that position, including when sliding.

It is, however, considered natural for a player to put their arm between their body and the ground for support when falling, so long as the arm is not extended to make the body bigger.

Moura was falling and extended his arm for both protection and support. He wasn't even looking at the ball.So he wasn't trying to make himself bigger but unfortunately the first statement wipes all that out. It was accidental but that still counts.

Completely understand the rules - as bonkers as they are. However my issue in this case is the eyesight of the VAR official. There is no way on this planet he can be 100% certain that the ball actually hit Moura's arm...and if he says he is certain, then he's a liar. With the frame rate on the available footage, I thought it only hit Moura's back/back of his shoulder, and not his arm - but I could not be sure. Therefore the overriding rule in this case is "clear and obvious error by the on-field officials". Its not clear and obvious, goal stands.

Last edited:
The whole point of this technology was to rule out controversial decisions which it has spectaculaly failed to do. In fact it makes it much worse than simple human error which a ref might have made in a split second, whilst destroying the passion of being able to celebrate a goal. It has to go for the good of the game because its killing it.

Austin Powers No GIF

I was a strong advocate for it initially as I thought it'd be used sparingly to eradicate the real howlers; not to forensically analyse milimetre offsides and every minor fucking infringement.

Personally, I'd bin the whole thing now and just learn to live with the ref cock-ups, no matter how awful.

After yesterday's catalogue of fiascos, Tottenham have made subtle changes to Son Heung Min's kit, in a desperate attempt to confuse the VAR offside officials.

JAFwhaE.png

Back
Top Bottom