Video Assistant Referee

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The thing is it is easy to fix:

1) Is all about the feet. Feet onside = player onside

2) Rail camera on sideline keeping level with defence so view is always side on, not at an angle.

3) If you need more than 30 secs to decide then it's close enough to give the attacker the benefit of doubt.

4) Mic up the officials. Have a live feed all match.

5) Match reports get published on website unedited after the game.
Point 2. This is their solution Semi-automated offside technology to be used at FIFA World Cup 2022™

But they have this in the CL

It's a bent system that is perfectly capable of manipulating the outcomes of matches.

It does my head in, you'll always get someone who will say 'rules are rules' but when VAR and the idiots that run it have to draw dodgy lines on images, show certain camera angles of incidents only and then slow down replays which makes everything look worse you know it's a little bit odd.

The system was supposed to bring less dispute the game, but if anything it just brings more dispute which means entertainment for the big tv companies and click bait...

Sadly it's not gonna go, too much money involved now which you know means come down to be slightly bent. Companies like Sky/BT love it.

The clear and obvious has always been the issue it's not being used as intended and it's killing the game

Couple of things need to happen

1) Refs need mics and have to clearly explain what they are looking for

2) VAR should be used much like TMO is in rugby. The onfield decision should stand unless clearly proven otherwise EG pen is given VAR checks and clearly sees no contact and then it intervenes and it has a max of 90secs to make a decision

The system was sold to us to stop Henry handballs and Drogba 10m offside goals not to spend 4 minutes checking if Kanes big toe was ahead of the ball whilst it doesn't have a clear angle of the defenders leg legit stood next to Kane.

It's killing the game and it's getting to the point now I don't celebrate goals. Cause I just expect something to happen with VAR now

Last edited:
The clear and obvious had always been the issue it's being used as intended and it's killing the game

Couple of things need to happen

1) Refs need mics and have to clearly explain what they are looking for

2) VAR should be used much like TMO is in rugby. The onfield decision should stand unless clearly proven otherwise EG pen is given VAR checks and clearly sees no contact and then it intervenes and it has a max of 90secs to make a decision

The system was sold to us to stop Henry handballs and Drogba 10m offside goals not to spend 4 minutes checking if Kanes big toe was ahead of the ball whilst it doesn't have a clear angle of the defenders leg legit stood next to Kane.

It's killing the game and it's getting to the point now I don't celebrate goals. Cause I just expect something to happen with VAR now
You make some great points there.

I've always been in favour of VAR because I thought it would put an end to the bigger clubs benefitting from dodgy / corrupt decisions. Even though we are one of the bigger clubs.

But it needs to be applied correctly.

You make some great points there.

I've always been in favour of VAR because I thought it would put an end to the bigger clubs benefitting from dodgy / corrupt decisions. Even though we are one of the bigger clubs.

But it needs to be applied correctly.

Yep, both yours and the one you responded to are good points.

Forget it's us and of course we are going to bemoan the decision, it's got to be clear, which translates to the time-related element, because the clarity of an incorrect call doesn't take long.

The authorities need to find a better solution in terms of how VAR is applied and to make the rules and the communication with the spectators much better

I thought that when it was too difficult to ascertain then benefit would go to the original decision because of all the bollocks last year with armpit hair offsides.

Technology is good, if used and implemented correctly. Nearly five minutes trying to rule a goal out - when VAR is ingnoring and still missing things in other games - is not acceptable.

We have benefitted from decisions going our way of course, but confirmation bias or not I do feel so many aren't going our way.

Goal at Sheffield United for a Lucas "handball", last night, the West Ham penalty, Kane being pushed over and Oliver not giving it under Mourinho, etc etc. Liverpool penalty in the CL final. And so many more.

How many things went our way when they shouldn't? Llorente against City?

I want it gone:
1. It's a system open to interpretation or maybe corruption or plain old ineptitude
2. Theres is no way you can call an offside whilst attempting to check exactly when the ball is played
3. The lines they use seem to be thicker in some games and thinner in others.

I firmly believe that some teams get the benefit of the doubt and others dont.

The soul of the game is being sucked dry, theres no joy, elation anymore. The celebrations of goals scored, penalties saved has gone because your waiting for some arsehole 300 miles away to make a ridiculous decision that takes 4 minutes to get to. Like Glenn Hoddle said last night fans will stop going to the stadium because football isn't the same as it was before VAR came in.

They need to find a way to automate VAR fully. Build some AI, input the actual rules of the game into it and let it do its thing, having a human with an opinion using the system is pointless.

Re: the drawing of lines......

Surely a view from above is both more practical and stands a better chance of accuracy?

They need to find a way to automate VAR fully. Build some AI, input the actual rules of the game into it and let it do its thing, having a human with an opinion using the system is pointless.
They were claiming they'd done that about a month ago.

They were claiming they'd done that about a month ago.
Semi-automated, though no idea why it wasn't being used in our game last night when it was in the other games. There was a good example in the Barca v Bayern game.

Still needs some bloke to know the rules though.

Refs have always been inconsistent and the rules have always been open to interpretation so when you introduce technology into the equation it's just open to more abuse.

Re: the drawing of lines......

Surely a view from above is both more practical and stands a better chance of accuracy?

The Hawkeye system was supposed to end this line drawing bollocks but seems to not be getting used now, it's very strange. It's better cause it removes the human factor but there's still margin for error cricket its biggest user still has rules in place to account for it's margin, but it's better then some bloke guessing what camera angle to use and MS paint drawing lines

The Mics will make the biggest difference how much clearer would last night have been if the ref, was explaining that the lines have him offside and because the sporting player didn't play at the ball on purpose he then counts as offside. This ofc after the lines have been drawn by a almost foolproof technology rather then a bloke guessing.

But even so last night still fucks me off not just cause it's us but because I still don't see how any of its clear and obvious.

2) Rail camera on sideline keeping level with defence so view is always side on, not at an angle.

3) If you need more than 30 secs to decide then it's close enough to give the attacker the benefit of doubt.

This, this and this

The Hawkeye system was supposed to end this line drawing bollocks but seems to not be getting used now, it's very strange. It's better cause it removes the human factor but there's still margin for error cricket its biggest user still has rules in place to account for it's margin, but it's better then some bloke guessing what camera angle to use and MS paint drawing lines

The Mics will make the biggest difference how much clearer would last night have been if the ref, was explaining that the lines have him offside and because the sporting player didn't play at the ball on purpose he then counts as offside. This ofc after the lines have been drawn by a almost foolproof technology rather then a bloke guessing.

But even so last night still fucks me off not just cause it's us but because I still don't see how any of its clear and obvious.

Clear & Obv is not part of the offside protocol.... Never has been.

Re: Mics.... Yes and no. They won't explain away a wrong decision.

At least blow the whole thing wide open so that the fans feel that there's nothing to hide and no fuckery at play.

Back
Top Bottom