Video Assistant Referee

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The whole point of this technology was to rule out controversial decisions which it has spectaculaly failed to do. In fact it makes it much worse than simple human error which a ref might have made in a split second, whilst destroying the passion of being able to celebrate a goal. It has to go for the good of the game because its killing it.

The whole point of this technology was to rule out controversial decisions which it has spectaculaly failed to do. In fact it makes it much worse than simple human error which a ref might have made in a split second, whilst destroying the passion of being able to celebrate a goal. It has to go for the good of the game because its killing it.
I can't see it going. It makes life so much easier for the powers that be to fix matches and make more money, which is essentially the purpose of football these days.

Sorry guys that want it gone… imagine if the ref hadn’t spotted their hand ball goal yesterday and there was no VAR to check it. Guarantee you’d be livid.

Problem is mainly that 1) offsides by millimeters is ridiculous… and even worse is that it’s a manual process and not automated. 2) no one knows what is a handball anymore and once you know, it’ll change every year. 3) clear and obvious error is subjective.

Easy fix: There needs to be actual clear evidence to overturn a call, unlike that offsides yesterday.
A central HQ does all the reviews with a few teams of 3 referees. All 3 must agree to overturn a call. Reasoning must be explained post match.

American sports have fucking figured this out for years. There are a few mistakes here and there but nowhere near like the disaster that VAR currently is in England and Europe. The level of execution is a disgrace.

Even if it worked perfectly I would still hate it. Everytime something like that happens, where delirium turns to dispair or confusion, like with us on wednesday or Man city fans a few years ago, it is like getting burned. Bit by bit, over time goals will be celebrated less. Poor decisions make people angry , but I never wanted to stop watching football after one - but VAR makes football passionless.

This from Oliver Holt is exactly why VAR is anti football. And why it is destroying the game we love. This is what it is killing in the game and when this has gone the fans will stop going.

“When Harry Kane grabbed a late winner for Spurs in their Champions League tie against Sporting Lisbon last week and the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium erupted with joy and triumph and relief.

Those are some of the best moments to be a football fan, the moments when you lose yourself in the ecstasy of the instant, when nothing else matters, when nothing else encroaches, when you know that for a few precious seconds you are going to be part of some crazed communal celebration”.

This from Oliver Holt is exactly why VAR is anti football. And why it is destroying the game we love. This is what it is killing in the game and when this has gone the fans will stop going.

“When Harry Kane grabbed a late winner for Spurs in their Champions League tie against Sporting Lisbon last week and the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium erupted with joy and triumph and relief.

Those are some of the best moments to be a football fan, the moments when you lose yourself in the ecstasy of the instant, when nothing else matters, when nothing else encroaches, when you know that for a few precious seconds you are going to be part of some crazed communal celebration”.
Yeah I get that.

But was it glorious when Sterling scored and VAR ruled it offside and Spurs away crowd went crazy?

One of the best moments of me following Spurs, helped by VAR.

Yeah I get that.

But was it glorious when Sterling scored and VAR ruled it offside and Spurs away crowd went crazy?

One of the best moments of me following Spurs, helped by VAR.
That is not the essence of the game for me. We all accepted referees making decisions, some wrong and some right. What it never did was interrupt the spontaneity of the moment. That is being taken away from the paying fans. Loose that, you’ve lost the game.

Anyone enjoy fanless stadiums during COVID? Anyone?

Keep the goal line decisions but scrap the rest

Maybe have four linos to help the ref
Even consider two refs as they used to have in the NRL

aR is the problem. If it wasn’t there the deployment wouldn’t be an issue. As soon as decisions are taken off field spontaneity is lost. The game will follow.
I disagree ( I dont tend to click on the disagree button , and I havent) But VAR is usually correct in its decision but the deployment , the time taken, ect are are spoiling the game.
Perhaps VAR should only give decisions on fact , opinion decisions should be down to the Ref and only the Ref. ( IMO)

I disagree ( I dont tend to click on the disagree button , and I havent) But VAR is usually correct in its decision but the deployment , the time taken, ect are are spoiling the game.
Perhaps VAR should only give decisions on fact , opinion decisions should be down to the Ref and only the Ref. ( IMO)

Wasn’t VaR originally designed to overturn major errors not boardline. Just feels like the deployment has been jobs worths in nature, no common sense.

Something extremely dodgy about a ref giving a red card and penalty the DAY BEFORE for the same exact foul where he then decides its not even a foul the next day(the ref on VAR was same one in the city vs Fulham game yesterday)

and no way was the ref on the pitch just incompetent today. Absolutely no fucking way I'm accepting that. The foul on Hojbjerg proved that.

Last edited:
Keep the goal line decisions but scrap the rest

Maybe have four linos to help the ref
Even consider two refs as they used to have in the NRL
It's not about the implentation detail and never has been. It's about the people involved and the incentives to make good/bad decisions.

Refs are obviously corrupt, clubs like Liverpool and United get all the decisions while we languish. Refs are incentivised to screw with VAR cos it makes corrupt decisions look even worse. They also like to generally maintain a low standard of reffing so that obvious corruption can be lost in the sea of bad decisions.

The ref was a twat today but I didn’t think the Sess one was a foul. He has to make more effort to actually reach the ball if he wants a penalty there, as usual he was timid and just fell down. You have to make it look like a foul if you want it given.

Back
Top Bottom