Video Assistant Referee

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Clear & Obv is not part of the offside protocol.... Never has been.

Re: Mics.... Yes and no. They won't explain away a wrong decision.
No, but they'll rule out any suggestion of bias.

I'm sure it isn't "you need to rule this goal out mate, find a way" but until there's transparency we won't know what's going on. Their refusal to do it is what raises suspicions.

No, but they'll rule out any suggestion of bias.

I'm sure it isn't "you need to rule this goal out mate, find a way" but until there's transparency we won't know what's going on. Their refusal to do it is what raises suspicions.

I think the above mentioned publishing of match reports would be more effective, but sure; both is fine......

As I said before you can't explain away a wrong decision; but you'd hope that in time transparency and accountability would focus minds enough to reduce the amount of bad calls.

My biggest gripe with the decision from last night is that there is no clarity as to whether that is 100% offside or onside. The technology is just not up to standards to adjudge such small margins, the position of the players is debatable, the direction of the ball is debatable, the deflection from the Sporting player is debatable as to whether it was intentional or not. It's like a 15 year old is on work experience and drawing lines using the Paint application. How can they make such a big decision that takes 4mins on such a big moment in the game. The officials on the pitch didn't think it was offside so they should have stuck with that.

Its like VAR is used differently for each game, the images I've seen you can't even see the ball and there's a made up 6 yard line drawn.

Wasn't it only the other week in the Woolwich Liverpool game where they couldn't draw the lines as the camera angle was inconclusive or something. It's such a load of bullshit how it's applied.

I though that was the case too, but the explanation of the VAR protocol on IFAB's website seems to suggest offside in the build up to a goal can be reviewed in the case of a clear and obvious error. The text reads:

The referee may receive assistance from the VAR only in relation to four categories of match-changing decisions/incidents. In all these situations, the VAR is only used after the referee has made a (first/original) decision (including allowing play to continue), or if a serious incident is missed/not seen by the match officials.

The referee`s original decision will not be changed unless there was a ‘clear and obvious error’ (this includes any decision made by the referee based on information from another match official e.g. offside).

The categories of decision/incident which may be reviewed in the event of a potential ‘clear and obvious error’ or ‘serious missed incident’ are:

a. Goal/no goal
  • attacking team offence in the build-up to or scoring of the goal (handball, foul, offside etc.)
  • ball out of play prior to the goal
  • goal/no goal decisions
  • offence by goalkeeper and/or kicker at the taking of a penalty kick or encroachment by an attacker or defender who becomes directly involved in play if the penalty kick rebounds from the goalpost, crossbar or goalkeeper

I though that was the case too, but the explanation of the VAR protocol on IFAB's website seems to suggest offside in the build up to a goal can be reviewed in the case of a clear and obvious error. The text reads:

In which case they're changing the rule book every five fucking minutes........

The situ is absolute bullshit.

I can't fathom how we can have both IFAB and domestic interpretations/quirks to the rulebook either.

We have a situation where the fans don’t know the rules, the refs seem not to know the rules and the technology still struggles to work out if something is on/offside.

We have turned football into quantum theory. Offside was created to stop goal hanging with the benefit of the doubt always given to the attacker. Handball was designed to stop Maradonna like goals, deliberate use of arm/hand.

VAR and the football authorities have bastardised football and what it was meant to be.

It is hence the new lines and there needing to be daylight between lines now in the PL cause they know the tech isn't accurate.

Personally I'm in favour of scrapping the lines and simply using the naked eye then if they can't tell it's therefore not clear or obvious move on

And no but then the refs are accountable for wrong calls at least and it's harder for them to fudge things if they know everyone is listening

For me it's not just the refs needing to come out and explain. It should also be the VAR official. At the moment it doesn't seem like the VAR official responsible has to account for piss poor decision like last nights.

So I just heard a little piece on the radio about "real-time skeletal player tracking" becoming available to TV viewers.......

If that's the case then plow all the VAR recources into that tech; cobble together an appropriate algorithm; align it with an automated 'whistle' fitted to the stadium P.A. and lets just put this bullshit to bed.

Let the computer do all the line calls and leave the refs to deal with fouls and such.

Last edited:
I've actually come to terms with the decision and accepted it was the correct call after being absolutely annoyed beyond belief.

There's a pic going around on twitter which clearly shows Kane was ahead of the ball so that one I accept.

The defender touched it but nothing more then a deflection so I accept that as well.

The thing that cracks me up is the freeze frame they used to determine the lines. The ball in that frame is about three times the size it should be. How the fuck you can make an objective decision as to where the relevant part of the ball is, or even which is the relevant frame is beyond me.

Clear and obvious should be involved when a judgement decision (I. E did he attempt to play the ball) is involved rather than just is he further forwards. It isn't but it should be because that's not true or false but open to interpretation

Don't forget that VAR is also here to make sure that if Lloris saves a Penalty, it can see if he moved a Nano-second before the ball was struck, then have it re-taken until the other team score.
Like Conte said on one of his interviews, how many times has it been used to penalise a keeper other than Lloris ?

It is a mess and is making things worse not better, especially for marginal decisions, which is NOT what it was feckin introduced for..

The thing that cracks me up is the freeze frame they used to determine the lines. The ball in that frame is about three times the size it should be. How the fuck you can make an objective decision as to where the relevant part of the ball is, or even which is the relevant frame is beyond me.

Exactly, also how many frames a second ? 25, 30 ?

I reckon you could use a frame 10 either side of where they did and the decision would change. They cannot in any good faith choose the frame where the ball is immediately touched, if you see the ball move, then it is too late..

Last edited:
Exactly, also how frames a second ? 25, 30 ?

I reckon you could use a frame 10 either side of where they did and the decision would change. They cannot in any good faith choose the frame where the ball is immediately touched, if you see the ball move, then it is too late..
Yeah it's the subjective decisions that lead to the de facto oobjective outcome that is paradoxical. There is still subjectivness involved. I suppose that it does give the chance of having a more informed subjective opinion to start with, but it sure as shit isn't conclusive. Very annoying when it goes against you, funny as fuck when it's obviously wrong and goes for you.

As myself and many have said previously, the problem with using VAR for offsides when it is a very close call is that they are trying to apply 3D geometrics to a 2D image - and that is flawed at best. They cannot always see everything that might make it onside or offside (e.g. if defenders foot is obscured in the photo/video). In one incident in Italy recently, the VAR did not even notice a defender near the corner flag playing everyone onside when a goal was scored and subsequently disallowed for offside.

On top of that, it is a human that is deciding what offside lines originate/are drawn - and they often get this wrong - mainly due to the 2D/3D issue I mention above. The most obvious here is where they put the intersection with the pitch in the wrong place because they have incorrectly guessed the distance/height between the point/object they are measuring as being offside offside and the pitch.

An improvement to the system would be to limit to two minutes the amount of review time. Logically, if you take 3 or 4 minutes to review a goal then any error could not be that clear and obvious.

An improvement to the system would be to limit to two minutes the amount of review time. Logically, if you take 3 or 4 minutes to review a goal then any error could not be that clear and obvious.
I sort of agree, but I'd make it less than 2 minutes - more like a maximum of 1 minute.

And for offsides, I'd say stop using VAR until the technology is fit for purpose, like Hawkeye seems to be in tennis. Currently, for those really close, contentious calls, the offside VAR seems to be no more reliable than a linesman.

I sort of agree, but I'd make it less than 2 minutes - more like a maximum of 1 minute.

And for offsides, I'd say stop using VAR until the technology is fit for purpose, like Hawkeye seems to be in tennis. Currently, for those really close, contentious calls, the offside VAR seems to be no more reliable than a linesman.
I agree. I question the angle of the camera. Maybe in their tests they found it was the best one, but I think there are plays that are onside where the angle of the camera will show the player offsides.

Back
Top Bottom