Video Assistant Referee

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Look. He doesn't have to change his mind and neither do you. Some.people like var some hate it. I'm just about on the side of var but it needs to be simplified and USED PROPERLY which 8 don't think it is at the moment
Of course no one needs to change their mind. I said that.

But in a conversation you usually respond to what other people are saying and explain why you think the way you do.

I don’t think I’ve ever gone from devastation to elation as quickly as when the VAR decision against Sterling was shown for the 5th time and I realised his last minute winner would be ruled out by a hair and we were going through to the CL semi final. It was glorious and tense and amazing.

And we got to see our team play a CL final because of it.
I think the main gripe is that it was introduced to give us no doubt about decisions . It isn’t 100% accurate & this weekend alone we’ve seen terrible reviewed decision .

Maybe the Premiership should look at either getting adequate officials in or stop changing laws so no one no longer knows what is legal or illegal.

I think the main gripe is that it was introduced to give us no doubt about decisions . It isn’t 100% accurate & this weekend alone we’ve seen terrible reviewed decision .

Maybe the Premiership should look at either getting adequate officials in or stop changing laws so no one no longer knows what is legal or illegal.
PL didn’t introduce it that way. I think the problem is people had unrealistic expectations about it. It was never going to reduce ALL errors - that’s ridiculous. But 3 times fewer errors is a great result.

PL didn’t introduce it that way. I think the problem is people had unrealistic expectations about it. It was never going to reduce ALL errors - that’s ridiculous. But 3 times fewer errors is a great result.
They introduced it for “ Clear and obvious errors “ & “ Serious missed incidents “

Yesterday it fucked 2 up , costing teams points & never acted on a clear red. They weren’t even tough calls

Maybe more needs to be done regarding the people who use it .
Maybe if teams had an option to request a limited amount of decisions. I’m sure lampard would have requested a review of yesterdays non red

I'd prefer the errors if it meant being able to celebrate goals again.
I heard this on Last word on Spurs podcast too. They said the number of better decisions was marginal (I think they said 5%?). It’s 12% of all decisions that used to be wrong are now right. That’s a good chunk.

I also think it’s disingenuous because you watch football and players and fans are still going batshit crazy when their team score. They’re celebrating.

We scored 69 goals last season and had 4 goals overruled by VAR.

People are being emotional and weird.

They introduced it for “ Clear and obvious errors “ & “ Serious missed incidents “

Yesterday it fucked 2 up , costing teams points & never acted on a clear red. They weren’t even tough calls

Maybe more needs to be done regarding the people who use it .
Maybe if teams had an option to request a limited amount of decisions. I’m sure lampard would have requested a review of yesterdays non red
There are definitely mistakes made with VAR. I’m with you. But the fact is there are 3 times fewer mistakes. If mistakes make you angry then you are definitely for VAR.

Agree, the application of VAR should be to correct a "clear and obvious" error, or something the on-field ref and linesmen missed.

Yup and not to search and search for a reason to disallow a goal

Ruining the entertainment value of the beautiful game

I heard this on Last word on Spurs podcast too. They said the number of better decisions was marginal (I think they said 5%?). It’s 12% of all decisions that used to be wrong are now right. That’s a good chunk.

I also think it’s disingenuous because you watch football and players and fans are still going batshit crazy when their team score. They’re celebrating.

We scored 69 goals last season and had 4 goals overruled by VAR.

People are being emotional and weird.

A lot don’t celebrate immediately though

They wait for Var and the moment has gone

Needs a drastic overhaul and competent officials to operate it

As Dr Rocktopus Dr Rocktopus says , it’s getting to the point where you don’t know when a goal is a goal these days . That definitely has got worse as has the stops and starts
We scored 69 goals last season. Only 4 overruled by VAR. Doesn’t seem like a big proportion.

Plus we got to celebrate two goals that would not have been awarded by on field ref.

I agree that implementation can be better. And we’ll get there. But people want to throw the baby out with the bath water which is dumb.

« A lot » dont celebrate immediately? Let’s agree to disagree on that.

We scored 69 goals last season. Only 4 overruled by VAR. Doesn’t seem like a big proportion.

Plus we got to celebrate two goals that would not have been awarded by on field ref.

I agree that implementation can be better. And we’ll get there. But people want to throw the baby out with the bath water which is dumb.

« A lot » dont celebrate immediately? Let’s agree to disagree on that.

Mrs Perryman Mrs Perryman doesn’t so that’s enough for me

I like VAR because I think it does give officials a chance to fix obvious bad calls which occur due to the speed of the game. But the disallowed goal today in the Brighton game (McAllister) bothered me because even though initially there was a player offside, the goalie for Leicester City clearly had returned to a set position and had every chance at the ball. So a very marginal offside that didn't affect play caused the goal to be disallowed (which, under the rules it should not have been). The other part of VAR that play showed is the psychology of what happens when a referee is called over. It's got to be very difficult for the on field official to tell the people off site "You're wrong, that's not how I see it". As it stands they should just as well let the off site officials tell the on field official, "This is the call", because few will want to take that stand.

Statistically you're correct. However: if the improvement is in the deciding of inconsequential offsides or fouls from minutes before the goal went in, then that's a false economy when we are still seeing absolutely shocking howlers like this weekend. If I could reduce all household injuries by 20 per cent I would and it looks great...but if the number of fatalities stays the same then I'd say I've failed!

How many were wrongly given or not given in the season before VAR ?

You seem to think people are only capable of thinking black or white in opinions just because I think it’s not working properly , which it isn’t , it doesn’t mean I’m totally against it & I know that the majority of the mistakes with VAR are still human error / opinion

The premiership, for the first time today have decided to review 2 goal decisions due to VAR fucking up . I don’t think anything like that has ever happened

Last season VAR overturned 120 decisions. 120 clear and obvious errors last season were changed relating to goals or penalties or violent conduct. That’s a good thing. There were 380 games. VAR has an effect in only 30% of games. That’s because there is a high bar to challenge the referee.

The number of correct referee decisions has risen from 82% to 94%. That’s a significant bump. People are jumping on the 6% of mistakes, forgetting there were 18% mistakes in the past.

Thé question for people against VAR is, will you be happy with 3 times more refereeing mistakes when the margins between success and failure are so fine?
We are not going to agree and I'm not trying to convince you but those stats can be taken with a pinch of salt, they are marking their own homework. So much grey that a different ref will have different opinions on an incident. Where its grey they will say they were correct No doubt they have corrected decisions but I doubt it is as large.

Back
Top Bottom