Video Assistant Referee

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It was supposed to remove contentious issues. We can see it is actually causing more. I agree with the technology in principle, but not the way it is being executed. It is ultimately run by the same people that make the mistakes in the first place.

And it is inconsistent; I'm not talking bias against Spurs or course, but on the whole - it is still humans making the calls.

Need radically changing I've been advocating for years that each team should be able to use 3 challenges a game and they have to tell VAR what to look at

EG we think he was offside that was handball

VAR only looks at what it's asked to and has 90secs to come to a conclusion and send the REF over

It's killed the game

Nothing is wrong with VAR… just the morons that ref in England.
If there's nothing wrong with VAR, why are they trialling a massive change to it, starting for us at WHL on Wednesday?

How will it work?​

Twelve cameras installed under the roof will track the ball and 29 points on each player 50 times a second to plot their skeleton, collecting 180 million pieces of data over the course of the match.

A three-dimensional replay of the incident will appear to the VAR in a matter of seconds. The VAR will check it before making the final decision. Hence the semi-automated offside. It is still down to the officials to decide, but fans at home will see it on the television and, at the next break in play, supporters inside the stadium too.

Does it know when a ball is kicked?​

At the World Cup, FIFA will also use an Adidas ball with a sensor inside that tracks data at 500 times a second to allow for even greater accuracy. Throughout the Champions League, officials will use only the tracking cameras.

How could IT be used in the future?​

For now, the technology will be used just to decide on offsides and to alert officials if a goalkeeper comes off his line for a penalty.

It could, though, assist referees in many more ways. It can tell far more accurately where the ball strikes a defender on the arm so would help judge handball. It can tell officials if the ball went out for a throw-in before a goal. It could show, too, where exactly on the leg a player tackled an opponent and measure how intensely.

I wonder if it will ever be able to explain why, when a player whose side is winning, is tapped lightly on the lower leg, he goes down, writhing in agony, clutching his head.

I like VAR. It will have good days and bad days. But people forget that referees would have even more bad days without VAR and then there’d be people screaming out for using technology in this day and age.

Basically - no we have VAR we see all the bad decisions from VAR. It were not seeing the even greater number of bad decisions that would be made without VAR.

The fact is no system is going to eliminate human error or take away judgement. Some decisions are just contentious and people will disagree. That will never go away. But at least now there are far fewer egregious errors.

Id like refs and VAR refs to be audible on tv like in rugby. Would also calm the players down.

Need radically changing I've been advocating for years that each team should be able to use 3 challenges a game and they have to tell VAR what to look at

VAR only looks at what it's asked to and has 90secs to come to a conclusion and send the REF over

It's killed the game
Honestly, I'm not entirely sure that this is a good fix. We have this kind of thing here for hockey. Before we had it, I was in favour because there were those egregious mistakes that had to be corrected (in my view). A player is 3 feet offside and somehow it's missed, or that type of thing.

Problem is, now we have delays for challenges for the same dumb reasons we see today for VAR. A player is off by a shoelace and we're stuck watching the minutia. It's terrible.

I've personally reformed to aceept that human error is part of the deal. But when a goal goes in and the flag is down, you can celebrate the goal spontaneously. Of course there's controversy, but I also realise that (a) we have controversy with VAR regardless and (b) I like controversy because it's something to argue about!

All they need to do is let us hear what the officials are saying during VAR reviews. If they knew their conversations were being broadcast they wouldn't dare make some of these decisions. They will no longer be able to make up explanations after the fact as they do now.

I like how fuming and tearful Moyes was yesterday with the VAR decision costing them..
It was only 3 days prior that he said "Some you win some you lose" with a big smirk on his face, when it went in his favour against us..

Only 3 days later and he cries like a girl because it didn't go his way.

Honestly the biggest problem with referees in this country is their lack of accountability.

So many of them make poor decisions week after week yet are constantly back reffing Premier League matches like nothing happened, it's been going on for decades.

Now of course we don't know what happens behind closed doors, but any action against them should be made public like it is with players and managers, they should also get the same punishments like fines and suspensions.

I also honestly think VAR has shown the offside rule needs to be modified somewhat, calling offside because a players middle toenail was beyond the line is just plain stupid.

It’s not just the decisions they get wrong too !

It’s the decisions they decide not too look at that are clear . Re Van Dick yesterday

It's killed the game

They do something similar in Aussie rugby league giving each side a. ‘Captain’s challenge’ where the incident is reviewed by the VAR ref

Seems to work quite well although only one per side

Back
Top Bottom