Video Assistant Referee

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It’s not just the decisions they get wrong too !

It’s the decisions they decide not too look at that are clear . Re Van Dick yesterday

If VAR must continue I am minded to allow the managers each 1-2 requests each game where they can force VAR to look at something because at the moment you never know when VAR will turn up.

I like VAR. It will have good days and bad days. But people forget that referees would have even more bad days without VAR and then there’d be people screaming out for using technology in this day and age.

Basically - no we have VAR we see all the bad decisions from VAR. It were not seeing the even greater number of bad decisions that would be made without VAR.

The fact is no system is going to eliminate human error or take away judgement. Some decisions are just contentious and people will disagree. That will never go away. But at least now there are far fewer egregious errors.

Id like refs and VAR refs to be audible on tv like in rugby. Would also calm the players down.
No VAR you don't get all the shit that comes with VAR, may have a few more bad decisions but you can accept them as human error rather than corruption.

Honestly, I'm not entirely sure that this is a good fix. We have this kind of thing here for hockey. Before we had it, I was in favour because there were those egregious mistakes that had to be corrected (in my view). A player is 3 feet offside and somehow it's missed, or that type of thing.

Problem is, now we have delays for challenges for the same dumb reasons we see today for VAR. A player is off by a shoelace and we're stuck watching the minutia. It's terrible.

I've personally reformed to aceept that human error is part of the deal. But when a goal goes in and the flag is down, you can celebrate the goal spontaneously. Of course there's controversy, but I also realise that (a) we have controversy with VAR regardless and (b) I like controversy because it's something to argue about!
Interesting points, well put.

However when an egregious refereeing error that VAR could easily spot (uncontroversially) relegates your team or causes then to miss out on top 4 then there are huge sporting and financial implications for which there is an easy solution.

And if you don’t mind controversy then that doesn’t count against VAR! There’s clearly still that. Just less manifest unfairnessZ

No VAR you don't get all the shit that comes with VAR, may have a few more bad decisions but you can accept them as human error rather than corruption.
Last season VAR overturned 120 decisions. 120 clear and obvious errors last season were changed relating to goals or penalties or violent conduct. That’s a good thing. There were 380 games. VAR has an effect in only 30% of games. That’s because there is a high bar to challenge the referee.

The number of correct referee decisions has risen from 82% to 94%. That’s a significant bump. People are jumping on the 6% of mistakes, forgetting there were 18% mistakes in the past.

Thé question for people against VAR is, will you be happy with 3 times more refereeing mistakes when the margins between success and failure are so fine?

Last season VAR overturned 120 decisions. 120 clear and obvious errors last season were changed relating to goals or penalties or violent conduct. That’s a good thing. There were 380 games. VAR has an effect in only 30% of games. That’s because there is a high bar to challenge the referee.

The number of correct referee decisions has risen from 82% to 94%. That’s a significant bump. People are jumping on the 6% of mistakes, forgetting there were 18% mistakes in the past.

Thé question for people against VAR is, will you be happy with 3 times more refereeing mistakes when the margins between success and failure are so fine?
What it gives is not worth what it takes away. I have watched football pre and post VAR. Its shit and worse.

What it gives is not worth what it takes away. I have watched football pre and post VAR. Its shit and worse.
I don’t think I’ve ever gone from devastation to elation as quickly as when the VAR decision against Sterling was shown for the 5th time and I realised his last minute winner would be ruled out by a hair and we were going through to the CL semi final. It was glorious and tense and amazing.

And we got to see our team play a CL final because of it.

VAR would be fine if there was a time limit. 30 seconds for the VAR official to make a decision on whether to alert the referee or not. If they can’t decide in that time then the decision is not worth changing.

What I can’t stand is when the referee on the grass has to just stand there while their assistant spends 5 minutes looking at it. It should be the referee who takes 5 minutes to look at it (if they need to), not their assistant. The VAR should be there to quickly alert the referee not make decisions themselves.

Too many times the referee on the grass appears to meekly agree with a long-winded explanation from their assistant rather than take the time to make the decision themselves. Apparently Michael Oliver refused to change a decision after a VAR review yesterday so maybe this will start to change. The referee shouldn’t feel obliged to change their decision just because the VAR has spent 5 minutes looking at it.

I don’t think I’ve ever gone from devastation to elation as quickly as when the VAR decision against Sterling was shown for the 5th time and I realised his last minute winner would be ruled out by a hair and we were going through to the CL semi final. It was glorious and tense and amazing.

And we got to see our team play a CL final because of it.
And then in the final it didn't overturn the handball decision.

A single point where its good doesn't override the countless its not.

As I said for me it's taken away more than its given

I personally don’t miss things like Balotelli stamping on Scott Parker’s head with no punishment then going on to score the winning goal. I don’t miss the days of obviously offside goals standing when we can see a TV replay within 5 seconds that shows they shouldn’t stand.

Problem with VAR is the terrible officials using it and the lack of transparency on what the officials are saying to each other. Not that system itself.

And then in the final it didn't overturn the handball decision.

A single point where its good doesn't override the countless its not.

As I said for me it's taken away more than its given
Ive already explained it’s has meant three times fewer mistakes. But I guess you’re not going to change your mind!

Ive already explained it’s has meant three times fewer mistakes. But I guess you’re not going to change your mind!
I heard your explanation and said I've watched football pre and post VAR. I don't have to imagine what is better. VAR gives but also takes away.

Until what it brings outweighs the negatives no I won't change my mind.

I heard your explanation and said I've watched football pre and post VAR. I don't have to imagine what is better. VAR gives but also takes away.

Until what it brings outweighs the negatives no I won't change my mind.
Are we having the same conversation? I didn’t ask you to imagine anything. I also don’t know why you keep saying you watched football before and after VAR… you’re over the age of 12, so what?

You said one good decision doesn’t change the balance but it’s not one good decision. There are three times fewer critical errors now. That’s a lot!

You keep talking about balance but you’re not explaining what you’re balancing.

Fuck me. What a fucking palava. Just check goals for offsides. Like someone said earlier: we can see it clearly enough on a TV screen and if it's so close it takes 3 mins and lines drawn, then it probably is such a close decision that it doesn't make a difference. Utter bullshit at all this money spent

Are we having the same conversation? I didn’t ask you to imagine anything. I also don’t know why you keep saying you watched football before and after VAR… you’re over the age of 12, so what?

You said one good decision doesn’t change the balance but it’s not one good decision. There are three times fewer critical errors now. That’s a lot!

You keep talking about balance but you’re not explaining to what you’re balancing.
Look. He doesn't have to change his mind and neither do you. Some.people like var some hate it. I'm just about on the side of var but it needs to be simplified and USED PROPERLY which 8 don't think it is at the moment

Fuck me. What a fucking palava. Just check goals for offsides. Like someone said earlier: we can see it clearly enough on a TV screen and if it's so close it takes 3 mins and lines drawn, then it probably is such a close decision that it doesn't make a difference. Utter bullshit at all this money spent
Agree, the application of VAR should be to correct a "clear and obvious" error, or something the on-field ref and linesmen missed.

Back
Top Bottom