Kieran Trippier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Its not the same at all. Messi isnt fast for one, but he has a sense of position, he has composure and doesnt just react like an amature time and time again. He also has great skill.

Walker best attribute is nothing he had to learn, and one that saves him from getting caught out from the lack of other attributes.
Messi isn't fast? Really? Okay well that's beside the point anyway...
So are you saying that because Walkers best (not only) attribute is something he was gifted, that makes him a less superior player than Trippier? Also the idea that Walker is a bad defender and only uses pace to get out of tricky situations is a complete myth. He took his defensive game to another level in his last two years with us. I would struggle to name a right back in the world that's better one on one with a fast winger.

So are you saying that because Walkers best (not only) attribute is something he was gifted, that makes him a less superior player than Trippier?

Nope. Im saying Trippier has a better awareness, is more reliable, has a better delivery, creates more, and as defenders they are par, despite Trippier not possessing the pace that allows Walker to get away with many, many mistakes.

Also the idea that Walker is a bad defender and only uses pace to get out of tricky situations is a complete myth.

Didnt say he was a bad defender, I said if he didnt have pace, he´d be champo. But he does have pace, which allows him to be a top 4 player, and decent enough to cope.

He took his defensive game to another level in his last two years with us. I would struggle to name a right back in the world that's better one on one with a fast winger.

Isnt it funny that you dismiss Walkers pace as his main factor, then add in there is no better RB in the world.......against a fast winger.

Nope. Im saying Trippier has a better awareness, is more reliable, has a better delivery, creates more, and as defenders they are par, despite Trippier not possessing the pace that allows Walker to get away with many, many mistakes.
Some of these are completely unfounded. For example what evidence is there that he's more reliable? Creates more? Walker had more assists last year and even aside from assists Walker creates so much by stretching the play and drawing players out wide. Better delivery of course I will agree with but again this is an aspect of Walkers game that's much better than people give him credit for.

Didnt say he was a bad defender, I said if he didnt have pace, he´d be champo. But he does have pace, which allows him to be a top 4 player, and decent enough to cope.
Yes but you said it yourself here, he DOES have pace! You can't just flick a switch and its gone, which is why I just don't understand when people make this argument.

Isnt it funny that you dismiss Walkers pace as his main factor, then add in there is no better RB in the world.......against a fast winger.
Where did I dismiss it? And yeah I could easily swap in "top class" winger for fast and the point still stands, Walker is much better one on one than Trippier.

Of course a Walker vs Trippier argument was going to break out...

All I know is one player is playing out of position, the other isn’t...

I used that exact same argument for Vertonghen and Alderweireld to be fair.

People just have their favourites.

They're all good players.

What I'd say to that is Alaba plays midfield for Austria, but does that mean Austria's starting left back is a better left back than him.....
Look don't get me wrong, I think Trippier is an excellent player and a really valuable member of the squad, but Spurs fans continuously trying to convince themselves he's better than Walker is getting a bit tiresome.

Thats a skill though

Born that way

See the difference here? Trippier is a better footballer.
Walker is buff....he didnt learn that.
They both have very different natural attributes. If you combined the two attributes, then you’d have a truly world class RB that would be truly feared- the kind of player I hope Aurier (don’t laugh) could be once Poch has done his fullback whispering voodoo.
Walkers pace and power makes up for a his oft lack of tactical awareness & lesser ability on the ball. Trippier’s tactical awareness & ability on the ball makes up for his oft lack of pace & power.
Both are fine footballers, but in different ways.

On a separate note, last night, I was musing that we could have been watching a Poch managed team. Pressing everything, good possession, high line, patient build up, passing back, short triangles, switching play across the flanks, waiting for the killer ball etc. I reckon that southgate has been having lessons from the man himself. Or am I imagining that??
:pochserious2:

What I'd say to that is Alaba plays midfield for Austria, but does that mean Austria's starting left back is a better left back than him.....
Look don't get me wrong, I think Trippier is an excellent player and a really valuable member of the squad, but Spurs fans continuously trying to convince themselves he's better than Walker is getting a bit tiresome.

They’re totally different players.

Walker has better physical attributes but Trippier has better ball skills.

Both are decent defenders.

They’re totally different players.

Walker has better physical attributes but Trippier has better ball skills.

Both are decent defenders.

I'd agree with that.

Strange that Trippier has never beaten Walker in the assists column.

On a separate note, last night, I was musing that we could have been watching a Poch managed team. Pressing everything, good possession, high line, patient build up, passing back, short triangles, switching play across the flanks, waiting for the killer ball etc. I reckon that southgate has been having lessons from the man himself. Or am I imagining that??
Really noticed this as well actually. Wouldn't surprise me if he's build the premise of his game plan around Poch's. Would make sense I guess seeing as so much of the team is Spurs anyways, and how well English players in general seem to respond to Pochs style.

Some of these are completely unfounded. For example what evidence is there that he's more reliable? Creates more? Walker had more assists last year and even aside from assists Walker creates so much by stretching the play and drawing players out wide. Better delivery of course I will agree with but again this is an aspect of Walkers game that's much better than people give him credit for.

Ditto for saying Walker is better.....why should I provide evidence. Did you?

Yes but you said it yourself here, he DOES have pace! You can't just flick a switch and its gone, which is why I just don't understand when people make this argument.

Because as I said, pace isnt a talent

Where did I dismiss it? And yeah I could easily swap in "top class" winger for fast and the point still stands, Walker is much better one on one than Trippier.

Wheres the proof.....? You want proof but dont provide any....I disagree Walker is much better in one on ones. He regulary gets done, but the attacker cant out run him.
That doesnt make him a better defender, it makes him fast.

If Walker was a better wingback, we´d play 3 CBs and drop Trippier. I dont see how Walker is better when its him thats been dropped from his position

Ditto for saying Walker is better.....why should I provide evidence. Did you?
Well I would argue the fact that Walker was our undisputed first choice ahead of Trippier before he asked to leave, was in the PFA team of the year two years in a row, is the second most expensive defender of all time and just recently won the Premier League whilst once again making the team of the year is quite substantial evidence myself....

Because as I said, pace isnt a talent
I would argue Walkers pace and athleticism is very much a talent!

Wheres the proof.....? You want proof but dont provide any....I disagree
I assume you have seen Trippier trying to defend against wide players like Martial, Sane etc? If you genuinely think Walker would have struggled in the same way he did then I give up...

If Walker was a better wingback, we´d play 3 CBs and drop Trippier. I dont see how Walker is better when its him thats been dropped from his position
Walker is playing centre back because Southgates other options in this position are the likes of Cahill, Tarkowski and the Chuckle Brothers at United. Nothing to do with Trippier being a better wing back IMO.

Walker is playing centre back because Southgates other options in this position are the likes of Cahill, Tarkowski and the Chuckle Brothers at United. Nothing to do with Trippier being a better wing back IMO.
If Walker was far superior to Trippier out wide, he would be playing there, and Trippier would be on the bench.

Southgate would have known that when he selected the squad... :goonermong:

Back
Top Bottom