Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

By all means ignore the actual picture and video evidence to the contrary.

I ignored nothing.

FFS, even your screen first screen grab shows the defenders can block the pass if they stick a leg out.

Say's the guy who gave me a bullet point presentation with two sub headings. Hmm....

Clearly, that's not what I was alluding to (See forthcoming comment).

I'm equally baffled when people refuse to be honest or realistic just because it's one of "our players".

Read the part I highlighted and tell me HONESTLY AND REALISTICALLY that there's any substance to it.

THAT'S what I meant by creative.

Where's Dele's thread disappeared to?
:deledoubt:

It's dissapeared up the arse of this geezer I'm bickering with. If it falls back out I'll be sure to give it a wipe down... Least I can do considering my part in things.

Sorry if too yukky. :dierpochhug:

I ignored nothing.

FFS, even your screen first screen grab shows the defenders can block the pass if they stick a leg out.

Clearly, that's not what I was alluding to (See forthcoming comment).

Read the part I highlighted and tell me HONESTLY AND REALISTICALLY that there's any substance to it.

THAT'S what I meant by creative.

pfffft....

But these are guys who have done nothing but this for the last 10-15 years of their lives, even day. I don't expect perfection, but I think that was a pretty easy percentage call, and and it was just one (most recent) example of what a couple of us are saying Kane could improve on.

I might be wrong but I think Son has become more selfish since he's been playing with Kane and we all saw Eriksen bollocking him last season. Maybe Son has always had this side to him and I'm just imagining it's become worse because it irks me sometimes when Kane does it, so now I'm looking for it, but it's easy to imagine how you see your team mate doing it, and getting all the plaudits and thinking I'll have me some of that too. before you know it you're continually wasting great chances because two of your forwards aren't always making the percentage calls, but constantly going for glory.

I understand that for Kane to be Kane there will need to be that element of belief in himself, of selfishness, but but I just think there are odd times where it crosses the line.

Your argument got me a little intrigued as to Son & Kane's selfishness so I had a quick look at their stats last year. Not sure if it makes any difference but Harry & Son had a better shooting accuracy than both Lewandowski & Ronaldo last season in their domestic leagues (Harry 57%, Son 59%, Lewandowski 54% & Ronaldo 56%) I think it's really harsh to call them both selfish when they are goalscorers & others that are more highly rated have less shooting accuracy than they do. Just my opinion though

Your argument got me a little intrigued as to Son & Kane's selfishness so I had a quick look at their stats last year. Not sure if it makes any difference but Harry & Son had a better shooting accuracy than both Lewandowski & Ronaldo last season in their domestic leagues (Harry 57%, Son 59%, Lewandowski 54% & Ronaldo 56%) I think it's really harsh to call them both selfish when they are goalscorers & others that are more highly rated have less shooting accuracy than they do. Just my opinion though

Exactly. Success rate plays a big part in forgiving the selfishness. They’re not like Andros, shooting on site at some distant car park because he once miss hit a cross into the net.

I appreciate the sentiment of bus-conductor bus-conductor - team play is part of the clinical execution that Pochettino regularly refers to - but Kane and Son are clearly players that justifiably have confidence in themselves.

Exactly. Success rate plays a big part in forgiving the selfishness. They’re not like Andros, shooting on site at some distant car park because he once miss hit a cross into the net.

I appreciate the sentiment of bus-conductor bus-conductor - team play is part of the clinical execution that Pochettino regularly refers to - but Kane and Son are clearly players that justifiably have confidence in themselves.

If I was saying they should never be selfish, that would be fair, but I'm not, I'm just saying there are odd occasions when it crosses an acceptable line IMO.

And Park Lane Mark Twain Park Lane Mark Twain , them having 3% better shot accuracy than a couple of others who are in the 50's doesn't justify every act of stupidity. It's irrelevant to what I'm saying. Even If they had 90% accuracy it doesn't excuse, for example, taking a shot with a tiny percentage chance rather than making a pass to someone who would have a much, much better chance.

Which is why we saw Eriksen bollocking Son for what he did in a game at the back end of last season, it crossed a line into stupidly selfish to the cost of the team, and the very bottom line is, it's always the team that comes first, not any players personal quest for glory or success.

And, again, I get this is a somewhat grey area, the line can be blurred, but every once in while it's not, it's just stupidly selfish to the detriment of the team. Of course it's more forgivable when it's a player who scores 30 goals a season, but what if Son is thinking more selfishly as a result of Kane's selfishness rather than putting him in sometimes, that actually back fires on Kane doesn't it, and again, ultimately us, especially when, as you say, we have forwards with good accuracy, surely we want them giving each those better xg chances, not taking the tiny xg chances?

If I was saying they should never be selfish, that would be fair, but I'm not, I'm just saying there are odd occasions when it crosses an acceptable line IMO.

And Park Lane Mark Twain Park Lane Mark Twain , them having 3% better shot accuracy than a couple of others who are in the 50's doesn't justify every act of stupidity. It's irrelevant to what I'm saying. Even If they had 90% accuracy it doesn't excuse, for example, taking a shot with a tiny percentage chance rather than making a pass to someone who would have a much, much better chance.

Which is why we saw Eriksen bollocking Son for what he did in a game at the back end of last season, it crossed a line into stupidly selfish to the cost of the team, and the very bottom line is, it's always the team that comes first, not any players personal quest for glory or success.

And, again, I get this is a somewhat grey area, the line can be blurred, but every once in while it's not, it's just stupidly selfish to the detriment of the team. Of course it's more forgivable when it's a player who scores 30 goals a season, but what if Son is thinking more selfishly as a result of Kane's selfishness rather than putting him in sometimes, that actually back fires on Kane doesn't it, and again, ultimately us, especially when, as you say, we have forwards with good accuracy, surely we want them giving each those better xg chances, not taking the tiny xg chances?

I do get your point. In that now legendary demolition job Germany did on Brazil the thing that impressed me most was how they played as a unified machine. The glory was in the result, achieved by incredibly unselfish and well drilled play. Eriksen and Lamela are those kinds of players. Dele too (just to keep this vaguely on topic).

As we both know, Kane is more than capable of providing great assists (that inch perfect cross for Son’s header for example), but my personal preference is for a striker to be a selfish bastard in the box. Kane is, and whilst it isn’t always ideal, it tends to pay off. Start introducing an element of doubt in his mind and there’s no telling what effect it might have on his natural instincts.

I do get your point. In that now legendary demolition job Germany did on Brazil the thing that impressed me most was how they played as a unified machine. The glory was in the result, achieved by incredibly unselfish and well drilled play. Eriksen and Lamela are those kinds of players. Dele too (just to keep this vaguely on topic).

As we both know, Kane is more than capable of providing great assists (that inch perfect cross for Son’s header for example), but my personal preference is for a striker to be a selfish bastard in the box. Kane is, and whilst it isn’t always ideal, it tends to pay off. Start introducing an element of doubt in his mind and there’s no telling what effect it might have on his natural instincts.

Indeed. Positionally, Son & Kane are different, so I'd suggest Son shouldn't be basing his behaviors on what Kane does or doesn't himself do anyway. There is more emphasis on Son to create and I'd like to think he would respect this. There's also Poch to set him straight in that scenario too.

This is why I think bus-conductor bus-conductor 's "what if Son is selfish because of Kane" scenario is a) self-indulgently far fetched and b) would only serve as an indictment on Son anyway.

Indeed. Positionally, Son & Kane are different, so I'd suggest Son shouldn't be basing his behaviors on what Kane does or doesn't himself do anyway. There is more emphasis on Son to create and I'd like to think he would respect this. There's also Poch to set him straight in that scenario too.

This is why I think bus-conductor bus-conductor 's "what if Son is selfish because of Kane" scenario is a) self-indulgently far fetched and b) would only serve as an indictment on Son anyway.

Don't agree with this at all ...

Kane is not a 'goal poacher' he has the best all round game of any EPL striker ... he can play CF, CAM, Wide all in the same game, and yet he still scores 30 goals a season ...

If Son could develop his game to be exactly the same as Kane we'd have by far the best front two in the league ...

Kane always says 'I needs to develop' more assists could certainly be one way to do that ... Son on the other hand could learn to improve his movement in the box ... find that yard of space ...

Having Kane and Son on the same level ... far from being avoided that's just a fantasy dream .....

Don't agree with this at all ...

Kane is not a 'goal poacher' he has the best all round game of any EPL striker ... he can play CF, CAM, Wide all in the same game, and yet he still scores 30 goals a season ...

If Son could develop his game to be exactly the same as Kane we'd have by far the best front two in the league ...

Kane always says 'I needs to develop' more assists could certainly be one way to do that ... Son on the other hand could learn to improve his movement in the box ... find that yard of space ...

Having Kane and Son on the same level ... far from being avoided that's just a fantasy dream .....

You're neglecting the entire context of the discussion taking place.... It's born of criticism about selfishness and baseless speculation that Kane may well be a bad influence on Son. I'm refuting both.

Implying I wouldn't like Son (nor Kane) to evolve/improve is entirely wide of the mark.

This debate reminds me of that time I had a summer romance with Angelina Jolie. It was quite a few years back at this point. She and I met on the Boardwalk in a sleepy coastal town. It started innocently enough, sharing ice cream cones and sneaking a kisses while sunbathing.

But quickly we became passionate lovers. It was honestly the best sex I've ever had. I won't bore you with the details. However one day while making love in the shower for the fourth time that morning, I noticed that Angie occasionally neglected my testicles while going down on me.

It really bothered me. I mean she was supposed to be some great lover--maybe even the best lover in the world. And yet, sometimes my boys were missing out on the fun. I analyzed the delimma with my good friend Brad Pitt. Ultimately we decided Angie and I should call it quits.

I still think about her occasional failure to play with my balls. It's all I think about really.

This debate reminds me of that time I had a summer romance with Angelina Jolie. It was quite a few years back at this point. She and I met on the Boardwalk in a sleepy coastal town. It started innocently enough, sharing ice cream cones and sneaking a kisses while sunbathing.

But quickly we became passionate lovers. It was honestly the best sex I've ever had. I won't bore you with the details. However one day while making love in the shower for the fourth time that morning, I noticed that Angie occasionally neglected my testicles while going down on me.

It really bothered me. I mean she was supposed to be some great lover--maybe even the best lover in the world. And yet, sometimes my boys were missing out on the fun. I analyzed the delimma with my good friend Brad Pitt. Ultimately we decided Angie and I should call it quits.

I still think about her occasional failure to play with my balls. It's all I think about really.
D- fiction. Do better next term.

D- fiction. Do better next term.
Initially I was going to give this a "funny." I mean, it made me chuckle. But upon further reflection and analysis, it lacked a certain structure I would expect from one of your responses. It was funny. But it could have been funnier.

I'm not slating you. You are a great poster. But you could be better.

As it is with Harry Kane. As it was with Angelina Jolie.

Initially I was going to give this a "funny." I mean, it made me chuckle. But upon further reflection and analysis, it lacked a certain structure I would expect from one of your responses. It was funny. But it could have been funnier.

I'm not slating you. You are a great poster. But you could be better.

As it is with Harry Kane. As it was with Angelina Jolie.
Sarcasm is the lowest form of humour. You're doing yourself a disservice.

At this point I'm just quoting former English professors.

just kidding, I destroyed Lit.

Sarcasm is the lowest form of humour. You're doing yourself a disservice.

At this point I'm just quoting former English professors.

just kidding, I destroyed Lit.
I've been drinking, so maybe it's not clear. But I'm poking fun of the bus-conductor bus-conductor and his over analysis and ridiculous critique of Kane. His approach would take the fun out of football for me. I feel some shame in having to explain this.
:walkercry:

Back
Top Bottom