League Cup 2018/19

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

i'm wondering whether this is all the fault of archway steel? they've somehow, via a third party, been supplying the metalwork for the stadium allowing some mad vengeance for having their place suddenly burst into flames.

Trust comment below. In my opinion their last comment encouraging a boycott is well out of line. Personal views on MK Dons' history shouldn't be mixed with the Trust's official standpoint. Really think they've missed the mark on this one, I hope they reconsider.

THFC has confirmed it has asked the EFL for dispensation to play its third round Carabao Cup tie at Stadium MK. We understand the application for dispensation had to be submitted before the draw at home to Watford was made, and that the EFL have yet to make the final decision on where the tie is played. We also understand it is not possible for THFC to alter their request at this stage.

Earlier this month, the Club asked THST to help gauge fan opinion on a possible change of home venue given both Wembley and our new stadium were unavailable during w/c 24 September.

The results of our survey showed a marginal preference for playing at an alternative home venue as opposed to flipping the tie (46% v 43%). The Club also had a strong preference for not giving up home advantage. And 70% of fans in the survey wanted the alternative venue to be within the M25.

We appreciate it was always going to be difficult to find a suitable venue within those parameters.

As a supporters’ organisation, we would obviously not be happy to see our club’s home games moved to Stadium MK. Should the game go ahead, we would urge fans to consider the history of the MK club and the views of our friends at AFC Wimbledon.

Board members of THST will not be attending the match if it is played at Stadium MK.

THST Board
30 August 2018

Trust comment below. In my opinion their last comment encouraging a boycott is well out of line. Personal views on MK Dons' history shouldn't be mixed with the Trust's official standpoint. Really think they've missed the mark on this one, I hope they reconsider.

THFC has confirmed it has asked the EFL for dispensation to play its third round Carabao Cup tie at Stadium MK. We understand the application for dispensation had to be submitted before the draw at home to Watford was made, and that the EFL have yet to make the final decision on where the tie is played. We also understand it is not possible for THFC to alter their request at this stage.

Earlier this month, the Club asked THST to help gauge fan opinion on a possible change of home venue given both Wembley and our new stadium were unavailable during w/c 24 September.

The results of our survey showed a marginal preference for playing at an alternative home venue as opposed to flipping the tie (46% v 43%). The Club also had a strong preference for not giving up home advantage. And 70% of fans in the survey wanted the alternative venue to be within the M25.

We appreciate it was always going to be difficult to find a suitable venue within those parameters.

As a supporters’ organisation, we would obviously not be happy to see our club’s home games moved to Stadium MK. Should the game go ahead, we would urge fans to consider the history of the MK club and the views of our friends at AFC Wimbledon.

Board members of THST will not be attending the match if it is played at Stadium MK.

THST Board
30 August 2018
There’s a limited list of football venues that can host more than 20K in London, most can’t really fit us for obvious reasons. and I guess playing in MK is more practical than the Valley for most supporters.

Also since when are Wimbledon our friends? They were absolute cunts last season.

THST Board
30 August 2018

When have Wimbledon ever been our friends? Calling for a boycott is completely out of line and not in the interest of supporters at all. This statement is purely out of personal opinions and spite of the board of the THST.

Keeping in mind the transfer window statement they made, they seem to be losing credibility with every tweet and statement they release.

Keeping in mind the transfer window statement they made, they seem to be losing credibility with every tweet and statement they release.

The phrase they've really fucked up on is:

...we would urge fans to consider the history of the MK club and the views of our friends at AFC Wimbledon.

Note they've even said "the MK club" which is somewhat petty in itself, but this is clearly asking fans not to attend. What else could it mean?

Without that sentence it's a reasonable statement overall. I'd still suggest that they should have kept their own attendance out of it as that is personal, but hey, not such a big deal, it's just a shame they struggle to separate the personal from the official.

...we would urge fans to consider the history of the MK club and the views of our friends at AFC Wimbledon.

Note they've even said "the MK club" which is somewhat petty in itself, but this is clearly asking fans not to attend. What else could it mean?

Without that sentence it's a reasonable statement overall. I'd still suggest that they should have kept their own attendance out of it as that is personal, but hey, not such a big deal, it's just a shame they struggle to separate the personal from the official.

No reason to insert themselves or personal view if they want to be taken seriously by the club.

They're supposed to speak for the supports, not their personal beliefs.

I kind of consider MK absolved now. Wimbo have completed the comeback, back with all their old fans, almost back at Plough Lane itself, higher than MK. Only gripe would be continued use of "Dons", but minor tbh.

That said, probably won't attend the League Cup match, too far away.

I remember once reading that one of the top brass lived in Wimbledon when they were talking to the BBC about an incident involving the club. It could easily be a bit of bias towards a club that forms part of their local community etc. Might mean more to them because it's closer to home

I remember once reading that one of the top brass lived in Wimbledon when they were talking to the BBC about an incident involving the club. It could easily be a bit of bias towards a club that forms part of their local community etc. Might mean more to them because it's closer to home
You only support one team!

Since they reformed they’re a club run by their supporters trust. One of the former head honchos at Supporters Direct, who help set up football club trusts, was Wimbledon. There’s generally good relationships between the supporters trusts of other clubs, so I imagine that’s been the case with those at Wimbledon and THST.

You only support one team!

I do yes but some don't. If they live in Wimbledon & they've seen the turmoil of it first hand and how it's divided the local support they'd probably have some kind of affiliation with them. I'm Spurs through & through but I always keep my eye on how a couple of my local teams do & I want them to do well. Dagenham & Redbridge, Southend etc I've got more affection for those clubs than say Runcorn etc (are Runcorn still a club?)

Last edited:
Since they reformed they’re a club run by their supporters trust. One of the former head honchos at Supporters Direct, who help set up football club trusts, was Wimbledon. There’s generally good relationships between the supporters trusts of other clubs, so I imagine that’s been the case with those at Wimbledon and THST.

My guess would be with a lot of THST statements lately that they want to run the club like Wimbledon and ship Levy out.

Well this is embarrassing.

The results of the survey said we wanted a neutral venue.
We got a neutral venue, just outside the m25.
It’s a shame it’s not in the m25 of course

But this throwing the toys out the pram is just silly.
I get while they don’t want to go, they are a supporters trust, and want to show solidarity to other supporters trust.
But encouraging other spurs fans to stay away is petty

Back
Top Bottom