Unstoppable force (Watford) vs Immovable object (Spurs) Sunday 2 September

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Don't get me wrong this wasn't aimed at looking at what good has come out of today, it is more focused on it being an off day. I thought we did well in the first half but once the game juiced up with about 20 minutes to go Watford just kicked it up a gear and we had no response. I'm concerned about Eriksens form more than most. He doesn't seem to be bouncing all over looking for the ball and we were limited in our ability to break a stubborn defence down. Years gone by we've scraped something at Watford, it's always been a tightly contested game but alas, this time it wasn't to be.

I do wonder if it would have been different having the option of Son to get amongst it. He seems to like a goal against them. We'll find our groove, it's just a big shame we couldn't demonstrate a way to keep the lead and take control of the game. Their home advantage really played a part in this one but regardless it's a disappointing end to a great week

Of course it sucks, but today really isn't much to panic about....

Eriksen: Typical slow start. Under-hitting passes is classic early-doors CE. He'll find his pressing mojo soon enough too. He's a pro. Window is closed contract is a formality so long as he's not eyeing up a move (in which case he'll want a good season anyway).

Son: A couple of weeks off for him, Vic, WInks & Lamela and the extra dimensions people are moaning about lacking will all be back in the ranks.

Can't wait for the victims to come to town! :tobyarm:

The same way upgrading on Tripper was easy when Walker left...? Enta Da Serge (who, granted, still has a chance to come good).

Ben is an understated gem that will naturally be overlooked by many a fan and pundit alike. What he lacks in pace he makes up for in intelligence and defensive awareness. As for his crossing, he got a better delivery than either of our vaunted former pairing of Rose & Walker.
I take that point but to be fair I think Aurier has been an exception with how calamitous he has been. No one could have predicted how badly he has struggled to adapt.
I'm not trying to knock Davies too much, he clearly has qualities and Poch obviously adores him, but he just stifles us so much down the left with his lack of athleticism and ability.
What I wouldn't be against though would be us signing a new left back and keeping Ben as Jans left sided centre back understudy, which I think is a role he could excel in.

Your glass is SO half empty I think there's a hole in the bottom. : P

What many argue is our strongest line-up:

Lloris,
Trippier, Toby, Jan, Ben
Dier, Dembele
Son, Eriksen, Dele
Kane

Now I present the bench options:

Voorm, Gazzaniga
Sanchez, Aurier, Rose, KWP, Foyth (inj)
Wanyama, Sissoko
Lucas, Lamela, Winks
Llorente (wasted), GKN (pony)
+ kids

Throughout the season there will be players dropping in and out; that's why you have depth... We're using ours right now; whilst the few that need easing back in (Son, Winks, Wanyama) get the chance to do so. Of course, we'd have all preferred a supa-dupa upgrade on Llorente & GKN in the summer, but you paint an unnecessarily bleak picture.

We're 9 points from 4 games. Like I said, no need to throw the squad under the bus.

People also forget that Watford have beaten everyone in the top 6 apart from Man City at home at least once over the last 3 seasons. It ain't an easy place to go. We didn't look sharp and lacked conviction but away at Watford and 9 points out of 12 really isn't cause for alarm bells.

When it comes to transfers in & out, I do think some people lose sight of the wheeling and dealing we need to do because of the stadium & how not shifting certain players would make it difficult to make moves in. Top 4 & a trophy is still on course & we've got away trips to Newcastle, Man U &a Watford out the way now, I think people have to realise & accept we ain't going to go a whole season getting perfect results

Ha ha really...thought this was a forum where tottenham supporters could vent and air views...we don't have to agree but we are all spurs and allowed an opinion...then another fucking 12 year old starts..you think I give a flying fuck what you think but I know if we were in a pub chatting you wouldn't be so quick

I'd be even quicker mate...
:dembelefingers:

Lallana, Keita, AOC would all be playing centrally anyway. Not as part of their front 3.

I forgot about Sturridge. In the big games, I doubt whether they'd play three up front.

Anyway, not particularly interested in Liverpool or their squad, but it does illustrate the lack of depth in our squad.

As for glass being half empty... You'll need to check my post history. Neither a melter nor doomsayer - just a disappointed realist.

As Rafa would say "FACT"

Kane won't get a rest as he'll play all the England games now that Vardy's given up competing for a starting place.

Anyway on to the aforementioned Scousers.

Only Salah is guaranteed a start. Mane and Firmino have Lallana, Keita, Oxlade-Chamberlain (when fit) and others we've never heard of (and care less about), breathing down their neck.

We have: Sissoko, Lamela, Llorente, Winks, Wanyama, Amos,Tripp.

Lallana & Ox are any more formidable than Lamela/Lucas/Son (two of the three will likely start each game on the bench)???

...Yer melt.:dembelefingers:

Last edited:
Rose vs United was not very good IMO. A succession of scary moments down his side throughout. My heart was in my mouth whenever he was the last man. Meanwhile, he got got left on his arse the moment he came on today.

By all means have the "Is Ben good enough?" debate, but current Rose isn't the answer.

Since injury, be it for Spurs or England, he's been poor with an occasional flash of mediocrity.

Then this is crying out for KWP to be used in that role as a starter or off the bench.

As early as this in the season the next 3 games can shape our season

Dippers (h)
Inter (a)
Brighton (a)
But if we want to compete at the top end of the scale this is what we have to do!

I'd agree with most of the 1st XI. (Lucas vs Son)

The bench options are a bit thin! After four average to poor performances, who would you consider replacing Eriksen with?

The bench options are (to whatever degree) fine, FFS. The waffle you're weaving about Liverpool's options betrays any sense of serious concern one is like to muster.

Eriksen? ....No-one. It's early doors. He'll come good... He's fucking class!
(Hypothetical answer: Winks, Lucas, Son - subject to formation.)

Fuck team performances 4 games in.... I'll take 9 points whilst having faith that the performances will improve a little beyond the first THREE WEEKS of the season.

Hands up who's a humpy cunt when we lose besides me ?

:tobyarm::dembelefingers::pochhail::pochbye::freundgoal:
Not me

M1yq.gif

Sounds to me like he's really saying Levy has been given a wake up call and true title contenders strengthen their squad in the summer.

He's very subtle with his choice of words, Poch. I'll give him that.

I don't think that's quite right.

In truth I am not sure if that is a dig at himself or the players.

He trusted them and also Kane recently came out and said we did not need to buy players fir the sake of it.

You can say that but you must then back it up.

It was a bafflingly poor overall performance.

Sounds to me like he's really saying Levy has been given a wake up call and true title contenders strengthen their squad in the summer.

He's very subtle with his choice of words, Poch. I'll give him that.
I don't think so, there is no excuse for losing with this superior squad at Watford anyway and certainly not for such a lacklustre performance.

Back
Top Bottom