Unstoppable force (Watford) vs Immovable object (Spurs) Sunday 2 September

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

None of the big clubs have hit their stride yet so no need to panic

Looked pretty similar to Liverpool's game at Leicester. Get a lead, ease off and spend the rest of the game being outfought and overrun. Only difference was that Liverpool had Keita and Shaqiri to come on and calm the storm by offering some ball retention whereas our bench had nothing useful to offer.

Harry Kane isn't in great physical condition. He looks laboured when he's sprinting.
I wonder what a decent pre-season's training would do for him. Does he get this summer off?
Kane has been a shadow of himself since the beginning of 2018. We actually looked a better team when he was out injured for a few matches last season. The team wouldnt be worse at all if he started from the bench the way he is playing right now.

Going off at a bit of a tangent here, but it could be argued that our lack of signings are actually damaging the squad’s general sharpness.

I’ve always been an advocate of keeping a group of players together and allowing the to grow. That’s why I didn’t really care about the lack of signings. It occurs to me that there’s another aspect of bringing in new players that I hadn’t considered...

Day in, day out, our squad is training with the same players over and over again. That means practicing things like corners against the same players over and over. New blood mixes things up and forces players to adapt to new approaches, and to keep fresh. Obviously every week we’re up against completely different players, but on a daily basis I think new blood can help keep players that little more sharp.

This is where the academy comes handy. Pochettino is living off his early reputation of playing youth. The reality is in the last two seasons the only academy player to become integrated as a first team player is Winks. He'll play a handful in cup games and have them on the bench but in terms of actually giving them a meaningful chance we've regressed.

Young players bring new blood. They have extra motivation of wanting to make an impression. They follow orders but have an exuberance that older players who are mature and know their limitations won't. That's why I was disappointed to see Onomah be loaned on deadline day - I guarantee his chances of making it here would have been better getting game time in midfield alongside the likes of Eriksen, Dembele and Alli who can prop him up, rather than making an impression in a mediocre Championship team where he'll be dragged down by the rest. I'm not saying Onomah will be world class or anywhere near it, but he has been a highly thought of academy prospect for years and it's a shame that he likely won't make the grade.

Ferguson is noted for having top players from his academy like Giggs, Scholes and Beckham but he also gave over 200 games to the likes of Nicky Butt, Jonny Evans and Darren Fletcher. Those players were made to look better than they were because the world class players around them meant all they had to do was do a job. That's something we should be doing but the current youth policy is stupid because it's essentially saying "you have to be better than your competition to play".

Maybe, like Eriksen , he's disillusioned with our embarrising lack of ambition in the summer transfer window. Maybe, maybe not.
I'm just putting it out there.

Runs for cover

I doubt it. I think his last serious injury has damaged his general game, and he’s running on empty after the World Cup.

It’s worth remembering that even a couple of years ago Kane would have similar games like this. There’s a handful of games where he’s been impeccable, but even in games where he’s bagged a hat trick he’s rarely been MotM.

Eriksen is the bigger concern.

Is there any other team in EPL consistently inconsistent, capable of beating giants and losing to lesser teams the following week? I knew Watford would not be a push over, but that is a game we should have won, or at the very least drawn. With City, Liverpool, and Chelsea ahead, and Woolwich and Utd having had bad starts but pulling themselves up sharpishly, and unknowns like Watford, we may be lucky to make top 4 again this season if we play like this too much more.

An Aguero or a Suarez or Hazard coming off the bench to turn a game around offers hope but a Llorente or a Janssen or that calibre, do me a favor!

Aguero, Suarez & Hazard are bench players now are they?

Anyone can play that game..... Lets just bench Kane then.

Last edited:
This is where the academy comes handy. Pochettino is living off his early reputation of playing youth. The reality is in the last two seasons the only academy player to become integrated as a first team player is Winks. He'll play a handful in cup games and have them on the bench but in terms of actually giving them a meaningful chance we've regressed.

Young players bring new blood. They have extra motivation of wanting to make an impression. They follow orders but have an exuberance that older players who are mature and know their limitations won't. That's why I was disappointed to see Onomah be loaned on deadline day - I guarantee his chances of making it here would have been better getting game time in midfield alongside the likes of Eriksen, Dembele and Alli who can prop him up, rather than making an impression in a mediocre Championship team where he'll be dragged down by the rest. I'm not saying Onomah will be world class or anywhere near it, but he has been a highly thought of academy prospect for years and it's a shame that he likely won't make the grade.

Ferguson is noted for having top players from his academy like Giggs, Scholes and Beckham but he also gave over 200 games to the likes of Nicky Butt, Jonny Evans and Darren Fletcher. Those players were made to look better than they were because the world class players around them meant all they had to do was do a job. That's something we should be doing but the current youth policy is stupid because it's essentially saying "you have to be better than your competition to play".

I would have liked Onomah to have played a part this season. He did a decent job at Villa last season, surrounded by mediocre players.

I have no idea how Pochettino runs things at Spurs, but I’d hope he’d play training games made up of first team and youth players on a regular basis. Familiarity is a good thing, but it can cause its own problems. Our defenders against Watford seemed unprepared for that style of approach.

Is there any other team in EPL consistently inconsistent, capable of beating giants and losing to lesser teams the following week?

You just described Liverpool's last couple of league campaigns. LOL

So much hyperbole.... Man United are "recovering" quickly? ....WHEN FFS????? ...They haven't played since they lost at home to us.

We also have to worry about Watford even though 3 points away to them should be a gimme.

State of you..... Seriously.

An Aguero or a Suarez or Hazard coming off the bench to turn a game around offers hope but a Llorente or a Janssen or that calibre, do me a favor!

Pep Guardiola's Barcelona didn't have impressive bench players. Their sub forwards included the likes of Bojan, Tello and Cuenca. The last guy played 30 times in Pep's last season and is now a free agent having been released by a club in Israel.

So much hyperbole.... Man United are "recovering" quickly? ....WHEN FFS????? ...They haven't played since they lost at home to us.
State of you..... Seriously.
They beat Burnley away 2-0, today.
You'd do well to do a little simple research before pissing over other peoples posts. Seriously

Not read most of thread and so points may already be said. My views are Dier should have been on after equaliser and before their 2nd goal. Disappointed that Sanchez for such a big man got knocked aside easily twice. Still vividly remember Rondon doing the same to him last season. Very disappointing result. I know Kane playing deeper has worked but surely we can change it around and put him up front on own when losing. Llorente is finished.

I'd be even quicker mate...
:dembelefingers:
Of course your gonna say that whilst hiding behind a keyboard....why is a different opinion to yours, from another spurs supporrter get that much under your skin...i bet your fun to be around and got lots of mates LMAO...you must be going off on one all day if you react like this to people who support your team. Get a girlfriend or whatever your into and release some of that tension you got built up mate..

None of the big clubs have hit their stride yet so no need to panic

This is exactly the reason to worry. Liverpool and Chelsea are in 2nd gear and still winning game after game and I don't see this stopping at any point.

Imo today showed all we can do this season is challenge for the title and try to win a cup, which I think we're well capable of. Simply don't have the consistency to seriously expect the league, winning the big games is pointless if the week after you play like you're hung over. We'll be up there, but I'd be surprised if we applied any real pressure.

Last edited:
This is exactly the reason to worry. Liverpool and Chelsea are in 2nd gear and still winning game after game and I don't see this stopping at any point.

Imo today showed all we can do this season is challenge for the title and try to win a cup, which I think we're well capable of. Simply don't have the consistency to seriously expect the league, winning the big games is pointless if the weak after you play like you're hung over. We'll be up there, but I'd be surprised if we applied any real pressure.

We are pretty good at beating the teams outside the top six. Our consistency in performances will improve and by that we should be beating the smaller sides more often that not. We can't win them all though so to win the league it is the big games that count because taking points off our rivals counter-balances dropped points elsewhere.

Also lets not forget today was the first time in 48 league matches we've lost a game after being 1-0 up.

Today may just be a blip - we could turn Liverpool over, beat Brighton, Huddersfield and Cardiff and go into the next international break with 21/24 points.

Back
Top Bottom