Wet Spam v Tottenham Hotspur - Premier League - 20.10.18

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

As long as the players give 100 percent and leave nothing out in the pitch I'll be happy.

Hope Poch realises that this is one of those games where West Ham will be right up for it and will come out at us fast.

Weather the storm, calm the crowd and then we should have the players to take it to them.

I'm expecting the usual frantic backs to the wall last gasp defending kind of game from about 70 mins onwards as West Ham will throw the kitchen sink at us.

Feeling more confident now Eriksen is back. He should start but may need to be substituted with Wednesday in mind.
Lloris
Trippier, Toby, Sanchez, Davies
Winks, Dier
Eriksen, lamela
Moura, Kane
Aurier, Son and Dembele on bench if needed but start Wednesday.
Will be interesting to see which GK is on bench. Will be hard on Gazza but think Poch will use Vorm.

This game is a worry. The players will have one eye on PSV and heavy legs from internationals while West Ham would happily take relegation just to win this game.
I always worry about games directly before or after CL games. We always seem to run at half speed in those games

Not sure about that. I like the front three and back four, but I see that midfield being a disaster.

Winks’ worst game this season was out wide against Liverpool (I know he’s not exactly wide in that line-up, but still not central where he’s best). Wanyama has been poor since his injury, Dier (although admittedly poor for a while now) has just had his first decent performance in ages, and if you’re considering Dembele then why not Eriksen? Both are in contention according to Pochettino.

I’m sure we’ve had this conversation before, Winks is not playing “wide”, he’s just playing his most natural position, right side of a cm3.

We’ve got to give Wanyama games, and a chance to play himself back to some kind of form because, as you acknowledge, Dier’s fucking pap (he wasn’t brilliant against Spain either - he didn’t have to do much as England played a counter attacking game and he had two footballing 8’s either side of him - including Winks in the same role I’ve put him in.

Saying that I think Poch will play Dier, unfortunately. And will probably play 4231. Unfortunately.

I didn’t pick Eriksen because I assumed he was still out.

Last edited:
Wonder if Poch will refuse to start Lamela in the league again. I hope not.

As someone mentioned, really aren't the same team without him, especially this year where we have lacked the energy and bite he brings.

Lamela's football allows the team to play faster with a one-touch way of play. So I think he would be nice to see him against a team like West Ham who often play with their whole team in defence.

It's also that whenever we've looked flat this season, Lamela has been the antidote. He lifts the tempo, the aggression, the forward passing. There's no sense of entitlement or complacency with him that sometimes you feel from Dele and Eriksen in their poor games.

Totti - while we're on here, I don't know if you can use your encyclopedic knowledge of continental football to answer me a question... listening to that smug fellow Gab Marcotti on Talk Sport last night made me think of it again, something I've long thought... Where are all the Italian players?

I know Serie A is struggling as a league in terms of wider European and Global following, but that surely doesn't mean Italian players aren't coming through. You'd think that as their clubs are struggling players might be cheap too. Where are all the young Italian defenders and midfielders? There are hardly any in the prem and you'd think with our transfer policy, going in for Italian youngsters would be an option... but we never, ever go for it. Why's that?

Back
Top Bottom