Wet Spam v Tottenham Hotspur - Premier League - 20.10.18

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Jan blatantly "injured" until he's completed Red Dead Redemption 2, otter next week.
IMG_6285-Otter-CS.jpg

Totti - while we're on here, I don't know if you can use your encyclopedic knowledge of continental football to answer me a question... listening to that smug fellow Gab Marcotti on Talk Sport last night made me think of it again, something I've long thought... Where are all the Italian players?

I know Serie A is struggling as a league in terms of wider European and Global following, but that surely doesn't mean Italian players aren't coming through. You'd think that as their clubs are struggling players might be cheap too. Where are all the young Italian defenders and midfielders? There are hardly any in the prem and you'd think with our transfer policy, going in for Italian youngsters would be an option... but we never, ever go for it. Why's that?
If you look at gross spend Italy had £910m vs EPL £1.2 billion (Premier League Transfer Spending Falls But Still Tops $1.5 Billion) a lot of money internally - although if you look at net spend per club that value comes right down as they tend to trade within the country. Their players are not as cheap as the alternatives (Spain etc). We have seen some players come as we have Italian managers (especially at Chelsea).

I thought there was a little optimism in Italy following this breaks perfomances and a fair few players coming through (barella is highly rated in MF).

If you look at gross spend Italy had £910m vs EPL £1.2 billion (Premier League Transfer Spending Falls But Still Tops $1.5 Billion) a lot of money internally - although if you look at net spend per club that value comes right down as they tend to trade within the country. Their players are not as cheap as the alternatives (Spain etc). We have seen some players come as we have Italian managers (especially at Chelsea).

I thought there was a little optimism in Italy following this breaks perfomances and a fair few players coming through (barella is highly rated in MF).

Thanks mate. I hear you, absolutely. Still though, I wonder if we're scouting Serie B and the lower half of Serie A. We've signed players from Spain, France, Scandinavia, Asia, Netherlands, Belgium, Croatia, the US even, but not too many Italians and it just surprises me that in a country with a population like theirs, where football is so clearly their main sport, that we never sign their players.

Thanks mate. I hear you, absolutely. Still though, I wonder if we're scouting Serie B and the lower half of Serie A. We've signed players from Spain, France, Scandinavia, Asia, Netherlands, Belgium, Croatia, the US even, but not too many Italians and it just surprises me that in a country with a population like theirs, where football is so clearly their main sport, that we never sign their players.
I think its mainly due to the fact they rarely succeed (notable exceptions), we rarely have Italian mangers and they cost a lot. Due to the fact a lot have not succeeded and they can get paid a lot at home they tend to not want to leave, as soon as we get a few more success you will probably see more move (in the same we can expect to see more English players move to Germany), in fact I think there are a lot of similarities with the English players.

Also until recently the lower half of Serie A had a lot of players on shared ownership with the top half (that was a weird setup).

I think its mainly due to the fact they rarely succeed (notable exceptions), we rarely have Italian mangers and they cost a lot. Due to the fact a lot have not succeeded and they can get paid a lot at home they tend to not want to leave, as soon as we get a few more success you will probably see more move (in the same we can expect to see more English players move to Germany), in fact I think there are a lot of similarities with the English players.

Also until recently the lower half of Serie A had a lot of players on shared ownership with the top half (that was a weird setup).
agents and such have had ownership stakes in players in Italy as well right? That probably puts at least some English clubs off of buying from Italy I would imagine.

Second biggest game of the season behind the home leg, for me.

Whaaaat?
Srsly?

Just another game against bottom half side that I don't care about much.
Easily TENS of bigger games in our season (10 games against top 6 sides, all the CL games, potential cup games where we proceed further).

Wet Spam is not our competitor. Just a small club that we need to get win over.
Thats all.

Totti - while we're on here, I don't know if you can use your encyclopedic knowledge of continental football to answer me a question... listening to that smug fellow Gab Marcotti on Talk Sport last night made me think of it again, something I've long thought... Where are all the Italian players?

I know Serie A is struggling as a league in terms of wider European and Global following, but that surely doesn't mean Italian players aren't coming through. You'd think that as their clubs are struggling players might be cheap too. Where are all the young Italian defenders and midfielders? There are hardly any in the prem and you'd think with our transfer policy, going in for Italian youngsters would be an option... but we never, ever go for it. Why's that?

There are great Italian footballers around.

In terms of defenders there is Romagnoli, Rugani and Caldara who are the bright hopes of the current generation. Then in midfield there is Sandro Tonali who many see as the next Pirlo, Locatelli, Barella, Zaniolo, but the real bright hope is Chiesa who plays out wide.

Up front there is quite a few exciting players to be honest. Kean at Juventus is highly rated and Pellegri at Monaco has scored quite a few goals already and he's only just turned 17 years old. Signed for a big sum last year. Cutrone at AC Milan is another good player.

Looking at it as a whole, if the clubs can give these youngsters the playing time and Mancini can slowly incorporate them in what is a very talented Italy national team (Donnarruma, Chiellini, Bonucci, Verratti, Jorginho, Insigne, Immobile etc) then the future is bright but they need the gametime.

Why don't we go for young Italians? No idea. In the clubs history we haven't really done so. In the history of Spurs, I can only think of 3 Italians we've had on our books (Cudicini, Tramezzani and Berti)

But probably not the thread for this - there is an Italian League thread over in General.

In terms of defenders there is Romagnoli, Rugani and Caldara who are the bright hopes of the current generation. Then in midfield there is Sandro Tonali who many see as the next Pirlo, Locatelli, Barella, Zaniolo, but the real bright hope is Chiesa who plays out wide.

Up front there is quite a few exciting players to be honest. Kean at Juventus is highly rated and Pellegri at Monaco has scored quite a few goals already and he's only just turned 17 years old. Signed for a big sum last year. Cutrone at AC Milan is another good player.

Looking at it as a whole, if the clubs can give these youngsters the playing time and Mancini can slowly incorporate them in what is a very talented Italy national team (Donnarruma, Chiellini, Bonucci, Verratti, Jorginho, Insigne, Immobile etc) then the future is bright but they need the gametime.

Why don't we go for young Italians? No idea. In the clubs history we haven't really done so. In the history of Spurs, I can only think of 3 Italians we've had on our books (Cudicini, Tramezzani and Berti)

But probably not the thread for this - there is an Italian League thread over in General.

Certainly not the thread for it. In summary, we should send some scouts to Italy.

Imagine being so shit that the only games you have to look forward to in your entire season are two league games against a club you can only dream of being and are in total awe of.
What a massive club they are :dembelelol:

Certainly not the thread for it. In summary, we should send some scouts to Italy.

Could also be that many Italians come to this country and flop.

73 Italians have played in this league and I'd easily say over 3/4s of those flopped.

Zola, Ravanelli, di Canio, di Matteo and Cudicini are probably the only ones who actually done well. Unless I'm forgetting anyone obvious?

Plus, you'd have to go back over a decade and a half for most of those players too, when the quality of the Premier League wasn't at it's greatest..

If we're keeping on topic, we could look at the Italians that West Ham had:

Boriello, di Michele, Diamanti, Nocerino, Ogbonna, Zaza.

Awful.

Lord Tramezzani

Could also be that many Italians come to this country and flop.

73 Italians have played in this league and I'd easily say over 3/4s of those flopped.

Zola, Ravanelli, di Canio, di Matteo and Cudicini are probably the only ones who actually done well. Unless I'm forgetting anyone obvious?

Plus, you'd have to go back over a decade and a half for most of those players too, when the quality of the Premier League wasn't at it's greatest..

If we're keeping on topic, we could look at the Italians that West Ham had:

Boriello, di Michele, Diamanti, Nocerino, Ogbonna, Zaza.

Awful.

Vialli did Ok, Carbone was good. Pelle at Southampton obviously ended badly but could score goals, was just a nut case.

I don’t know if he ever reads the forum but I guess Bardi Bardi might have some thoughts about this?

Back
Top Bottom