Tottenham v Man.City 29/10/18

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We didn't get behind them, there was still a difference between how we defended and how they defended. Mendy wasn't good at all and lost his battles, I think Lamela got behind him a couple of times, Lucas didn't though. At no point did we threaten them down their flanks as they did us.

Walker didn't get behind us once. He didn't defend brilliantly either. Trippier fucked up royally, but if you're telling me you never saw Walker make a complete twat of himself in our colours then you missed a big chunk of the games he played in.

Last edited:
What pisses me off is that trippier's should not have been starting; given we have 3 fit right backs, and that he started both games within the past week. Poch goes on about rotation but then doesn't implement it, despite aurier being better when he's played this season, and KWP being readily available every week. Really fucks me off because trippier cost us the match when a better option should have been rotated in. Absolute bullshit from poch there. Was happy enough to rotate trippier in for walker when he was still at the club, despite walker being far superior. I just don't understand the logic at all
I still trust Poch to make the call and this is coming from me the consistent Tripps hater.

Anyone catch the row Neville had with Carragher post match? Gave him a right fucking lecture, saying how Carragher's an idiot for waffling on about us not spending money we haven't got, how we are run within a sustainable budget, the cost of building a 600m stadium, and would Liverpool had spent all they did if they hgadn't sold Coutinho for 130m. Also said Levy's the best chairman in the league. Made him look a complete idiot.

Oh how I wish we had Wanyama fit and firing.

Go back to his debut season and how many games he bossed. How he combined tremendous power with smart reading off the game and press resistence to get us on the front foot. He was a midfield general and we sorely miss that presence. Our midfield now gets played around easily. Our midfield lacks technical quality to beat the press and creativity.

Wanyama was doing what Fernandinho does for them, before Fernandinho was doing it for them.

What pisses me off is that trippier's should not have been starting; given we have 3 fit right backs, and that he started both games within the past week. Poch goes on about rotation but then doesn't implement it, despite aurier being better when he's played this season, and KWP being readily available every week. Really fucks me off because trippier cost us the match when a better option should have been rotated in. Absolute bullshit from poch there. Was happy enough to rotate trippier in for walker when he was still at the club, despite walker being far superior. I just don't understand the logic at all

I think Poch just prefers having this type in his team. Trippier is someone who works hard, doesn't complain and on his day can put in solid performances. I think Poch likes that in his players. He's the sort of person who prefers 100% commitment and hard work over someone who's probably a better footballer. That much is obvious with how many games Sissoko has got over the last 2 seasons.

Go back to his debut season and how many games he bossed. How he combined tremendous power with smart reading off the game and press resistence to get us on the front foot. He was a midfield general and we sorely miss that presence. Our midfield now gets played around easily. Our midfield lacks technical quality to beat the press and creativity.

Wanyama was doing what Fernandinho does for them, before Fernandinho was doing it for them.

Starting to believe it was just a one off year from Wanyama to be honest (A bit like Palacios debut season for us). He was absolutely gash at Southampton and I regularly aired my displeasure upon signing him (Though for the price we signed him for, I couldn't complain too much), he changed my mind instantly with his performances.

But ever since his first season with us, he's looked more and more like the guy I thought we were signing from Southampton. Disappointing on the ball, a few seconds behind play and offering nothing at all but being a number on the pitch. Obviously he's had his injury and fitness issues so I can't be too harsh on him but I'd be amazed if we EVER got that Wanyama back from the 16/17 season. We're going to be wondering "What if" with him, just like we did when Sandro came back from his injury and looked nothing like he did prior.

Correct to a degree mate but we lack inspiration.

Where is our spark, our player that transcends games like tonight, the player the opponent and their manager fears?

At present we are a good side but look largely predictable and impotent when up against the very best teams.

Only transfers can change that although the boost of returning to a real home might create an atmosphere that acts like our 12th man.

No complaints tonight.

Yes tripper made a mistake but what about Kane, lamela with great chances to score. Yes it's easy to remember the defensive mistakes in recent games like tripper, lloris, Toby. We failed to win those because we don't finish our chances. Mistakes made things harder but we do waste a lot of these great chances

Add good fullbacks to that mate and we are there.

Trippier looked shaky in defence, would have preferred to see KWP or Aurier there. If we could have played pacier wingbacks it might have worked out better against City. Still I don’t think we’re far away from being at our best again.

I think Poch just prefers having this type in his team. Trippier is someone who works hard, doesn't complain and on his day can put in solid performances. I think Poch likes that in his players. He's the sort of person who prefers 100% commitment and hard work over someone who's probably a better footballer. That much is obvious with how many games Sissoko has got over the last 2 seasons.

It's actually the reverse in Trippier's case, he is there because he's a good little footballer when we have the ball, not because he's a unit or a great athlete or a trier.

How anyone can compare Trippier with Sissoko is plain daft. Trippier's not the best defender for sure. But he's not there because he's a work horse, he's there because he's the most creatively productive RB in this league, the highest key passes PG in the CL this season. Sissoko's there in the same way Fellani's there for Mourinho, cause some managers like a fucking stupid unit in there as well occasionally - that and the fact that Poch spunked 50m on his fee and wages.

Oh no, you’re right, in fact I doubt I would be found in one of these pub places. I’ve heard things can get a little excitable as the night goes on. I’ll leave you crazy chaps to that kind of thing.

Anyway, I sincerely apologise. My seven year old must have been on here. You can see from my normal posting history that I always err on the side of decency.

I thought he was just playing Fortnite, but it seems he has been using profanity on the internet. I can’t say I’m proud of this. In fact, I’m mightily ashamed. Curling off shits in Levy’s mouth, telling you to fuck off. Awful.

I do hope you accept my apologies and heartfelt words of condolence. It can’t be enjoyable to open up one’s tablet and find such foul language there in black and white. We never swear in the house, well, I say never, sometimes there’s a ‘bugger’ here and there but I can’t think where he got all these foul expletives from.

Anyway, if there’s anything I can do to repair our relationship, please let me know. I’ve sent Mr Potty mouth to his bed and told him there will be no Halloween for keyboard warriors in this house.
Oh no, you’re right, in fact I doubt I would be found in one of these pub places. I’ve heard things can get a little excitable as the night goes on. I’ll leave you crazy chaps to that kind of thing.

Anyway, I sincerely apologise. My seven year old must have been on here. You can see from my normal posting history that I always err on the side of decency.

I thought he was just playing Fortnite, but it seems he has been using profanity on the internet. I can’t say I’m proud of this. In fact, I’m mightily ashamed. Curling off shits in Levy’s mouth, telling you to fuck off. Awful.

I do hope you accept my apologies and heartfelt words of condolence. It can’t be enjoyable to open up one’s tablet and find such foul language there in black and white. We never swear in the house, well, I say never, sometimes there’s a ‘bugger’ here and there but I can’t think where he got all these foul expletives from.

Anyway, if there’s anything I can do to repair our relationship, please let me know. I’ve sent Mr Potty mouth to his bed and told him there will be no Halloween for keyboard warriors in this house.
Now that was worth the time and effort to write...brilliant lmao

Very litt

Walker didn't get behind us once. He didn't defend brilliantly either. Trippier fucked up royally, but if you're telling me you never saw Walker make a complete twat of himself in our colours then you missed a big chunk of the games he played in.
Where did I fucking say that? Why are you trying to put words into my mouth?

And I think he did actually, or at least attempt to, but I wasn't specifically referring to Walker getting behind us, I was referring to every one of City's attack (Sterling, Aguero, Bernardo Silva) got behind us tonight at some point.

To be crystal clear for the 100th time, WALKER IS BETTER THAN TRIPS but we've been here before, it's fucking boring mate, you will continue to wank Frodo off whilst he will continue to be the weakest link in our team.

It's actually the reverse in Trippier's case, he is there because he's a good little footballer when we have the ball, not because he's a unit or a great athlete or a trier.

How anyone can compare Trippier with Sissoko is plain daft. Trippier's not the best defender for sure. But he's not there because he's a work horse, he's there because he's the most creatively productive RB in this league, the highest key passes PG in the CL this season. Sissoko's there in the same way Fellani's there for Mourinho, cause some managers like a fucking stupid unit in there as well occasionally - that and the fact that Poch spunked 50m on his fee and wages.

He's there because he was our back up right back when Walker was here, worked hard and took his chance when given a run in the team. Simple as that. I imagine the World Cup also clouded Pochs judgement a bit, like it seemed to do with every other person in the country. If Walker never left us, Trippier would have been gone by now.

You're not going to change my mind on Trippier. I've said I'll praise him when he plays well, but my thoughts on him as a ridiculously average full back isn't going to change. He can't defend for shit. He rarely beats a man and relies on his technique to survive at the top level, despite not actually being good enough overall to play for a team in the top 6. The ultimate stats over subtance player.

What's sad is that no one was surprised when Trippier made the fuck up.

Trippier looked shaky in defence, would have preferred to see KWP or Aurier there. If we could have played pacier wingbacks it might have worked out better against City. Still I don’t think we’re far away from being at our best again.
It's looking better with the performances but I'll be honest feels wired saying that seeing as we've lost 2 games when we've played our best football of the season.

Despite my low opinion of Tripps, I still trust Poch's judgment, even though I believe both Aurier and KWP are better footballers than him.

Starting to believe it was just a one off year from Wanyama to be honest (A bit like Palacios debut season for us). He was absolutely gash at Southampton and I regularly aired my displeasure upon signing him (Though for the price we signed him for, I couldn't complain too much), he changed my mind instantly with his performances.

But ever since his first season with us, he's looked more and more like the guy I thought we were signing from Southampton. Disappointing on the ball, a few seconds behind play and offering nothing at all but being a number on the pitch. Obviously he's had his injury and fitness issues so I can't be too harsh on him but I'd be amazed if we EVER got that Wanyama back from the 16/17 season. We're going to be wondering "What if" with him, just like we did when Sandro came back from his injury and looked nothing like he did prior.

I liked him at Saints since he had a habit of destroying Woolwich :cool:

I take your point that we may never see that player again but I don't think it was a one off. He was getting better and better as the season went on but knee injuries will probably curtail his influence.

I liked him at Saints since he had a habit of destroying Woolwich :cool:

I take your point that we may never see that player again but I don't think it was a one off. He was getting better and better as the season went on but knee injuries will probably curtail his influence.

He did have a habit of leaving one in on Woolwich midfielders, I'll give him that.

I remember Dembele and Dier absolutely bossing him in a game at the St. Marys in 2015. (Funnily enough, Gazzaniga was in goal that day and was awful).

Back
Top Bottom