Tottenham v Man.City 29/10/18

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Wasted opportunity. Never really went for it with any real conviction from first minute until last .... Albeit last twenty mins was better.

City really aren't as frightening as everyone makes out

Our fullbacks are shit, but theirs weren’t much better tonight. Both Mendy and Walker were awful.
We didn't get behind them, there was still a difference between how we defended and how they defended. Mendy wasn't good at all and lost his battles, I think Lamela got behind him a couple of times, Lucas didn't though. At no point did we threaten them down their flanks as they did us.

Last edited:
I'd say we made them look not as good, we eventually won the midfield battle.

We didn't get behind them, there was still a difference between how we defended and how they defended. Mendy wasn't good at all and lost his battles, I think Lamela got behind him a couple of times, Lucas didn't though. At no point did we threaten them down their flanks as they did us.
Well we did when Sissoko got behind Mendy only to lack the final pass.

Trippier is a decent player but never amazing. But Davies as been shocking this season imo. He looks proper Sunday league in some days

I think we would all agree Trippier can be great in the final 3rd. The problem is, he isn't athletic enough to go up and down for 90 minutes. Add in the fact he is 28 years old and absolutely gash defensively. So important we either replace him with Aurier/KWP or sign a brand new right back.

Davies is the same for me. Not as good in the final third as Trippier but arguably better defensively (Though not saying much) but like Trippier, not athletic enough to get up and down for 90 minutes and get behind the back line to cause problems.

Well we did when Sissoko got behind Mendy only to lack the final pass.
Yep that time too. But City still largely kept their shape in defence, whereas we, still look a bit shite. And all that when I think Toby and Sanchez were good tonight, especially Sanchez (Toby lost his man when they had their best chance in the 2nd half). Our FB's are causing us loads of problems.

One shot on target, at home, against anyone is pathetic and unacceptable. And i’m struggling to remember what the shot was ? Toby’s header ?

Best start ever or 1 defeat in just over every 3 games......

With the players we have the ineptitude is baffling. How many times will this team shoot themselves in the head? They never fucking learn.

Yep that time too. But City still largely kept their shape in defence, whereas we, still look a bit shite. And all that when I think Toby and Sanchez were good tonight, especially Sanchez (Toby lost his man when they had their best chance in the 2nd half). Our FB's are causing us loads of problems.
Can you explain why Toby turns sideways when a low cross comes in rather than either attack the ball or make himself big? Second time a low cross has taken him out easy for a goal.

Trippier reminds me of Leighton Baines vs Evra debates several years back. Trippier being Baines.

His "superior attacking game" is largely down to how much he receives the ball to feet. He can pick out a pass and cross since he sees a lot of the ball, but I like full backs who run beyond and stretch the play so even if they don't receive the ball they are having an impact.

I don't see that in Trippier who is almost like a second playmaker. He wants to feet all the time.

Can you explain why Toby turns sideways when a low cross comes in rather than either attack the ball or make himself big? Second time a low cross has taken him out easy for a goal.
Many players default to certain body positions when seen as last resort. Walker does exactly the same but leaves his back leg stretched behind him, Tripps never gets tight to a player when he closes the oppo down and almost always stands with his feet close together with is arms behind his back. I can let Toby off though because 1vs1 there are few better (howler against PSV aside).

What pisses me off is that trippier's should not have been starting; given we have 3 fit right backs, and that he started both games within the past week. Poch goes on about rotation but then doesn't implement it, despite aurier being better when he's played this season, and KWP being readily available every week. Really fucks me off because trippier cost us the match when a better option should have been rotated in. Absolute bullshit from poch there. Was happy enough to rotate trippier in for walker when he was still at the club, despite walker being far superior. I just don't understand the logic at all

Back
Top Bottom