January 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The rumblings about King at Bournemouth are on again.

If Llorente leaves then sure. Multifaceted attacker that can play CF and as an AM/winger. And homegrown.

But only if someone leaves IMO

Is he better than Llorente?
Different types of players. Llorente is your classical center tank/target man. So he is naturally better than King as a target and in the air. King is if I had to describe a less cultured version of Martial. Operates mainly as a second striker/right behind the main striker. But can also operate as a regular striker and as a winger. So he wouldn't be as restricted in playing time as lLorente is.

As for SchmoodSpur SchmoodSpur question regarding if he would improve us. Long term most likely yeah. He's a bit of a dynamic player to bring off the bench which is always a plus and he has yet to peak. So we've got to assume that Poch and his crew can improve him, which in turn improves us.

If we only focus on bringing in players that can improve us from day 1 we seriously limit ourselves. We've just seen Moussa Sissoko step it up and improve his game so we should not be scared of bringing in players that we will have to improve ourselves if it benefits us in the long term.

Somewhat agree with you. We once had the best defence a couple of years ago. Now teams would fancy having a go at us. A top defender will be higher priority if we are to sign someone

Don't think the problem is in defence. Teams are getting at us more now because we have a depleted midfield. Sissoko is doing a fine job but we need one more in there (I like Winks but his defensive game needs a lot of work). Beef up the midfield and then the defence takes care of itself.

I don't understand why attacking players are the focus. We can score goals with the best, it's the midfield and fullbacks that are wanting.

Massive +1 on that.
Media likes to wank around stikers and AM's but we are well stacked in this department.

We have Kane, Llorente and option to use Sonny upfront.
We have Alli, Eriksen, Son, Moura, Lamela to be used as AM's.
In both of those sections we are in good position.

In defence we have Rose and Davies duo on the left. Trippier and Aurier duo on the right with KWP having potential to cover, also Aurier can be switched.
In CB we have Toby, Jan, Sanchez, Foyth + option to use Dier and Davies as CB.
IF someone really talented comes to market in FB position we could consider it, but until there are departures in CB, we are quite well stacked.

But at the same time in the midfield we are having some serious issues.
Dier is decent and pretty much always available (current situation is one-off). But Wanyama seems to be finished really. It is 2nd season in the row when we cannot depend on him. Dembele cannot play 2 games a week for quite some time now. It is good that Sissoko has stepped up and Winksy is back, but I think that midfield could absolutely need use some reshuffle. Even buying 2 CM's would not be overkill by any means, I'd say. One Wanyamaesque/Kanteesque defencive CM would be nice and one who would be either Dembele-type(player to dribble and hold on to the ball to calm thing soff) or Modders-like deep-lying playmaker kinda guy would be nice too.

So cmon guys, lets stop wanking over those players who finish chances and focus on those who help to control the game and set the stage for AM/ST's :) !

Different types of players. Llorente is your classical center tank/target man. So he is naturally better than King as a target and in the air. King is if I had to describe a less cultured version of Martial. Operates mainly as a second striker/right behind the main striker. But can also operate as a regular striker and as a winger. So he wouldn't be as restricted in playing time as lLorente is.

As for SchmoodSpur SchmoodSpur question regarding if he would improve us. Long term most likely yeah. He's a bit of a dynamic player to bring off the bench which is always a plus and he has yet to peak. So we've got to assume that Poch and his crew can improve him, which in turn improves us.

If we only focus on bringing in players that can improve us from day 1 we seriously limit ourselves. We've just seen Moussa Sissoko step it up and improve his game so we should not be scared of bringing in players that we will have to improve ourselves if it benefits us in the long term.

Yea, but don't we have Sonny already to fill this role in the team?
King would be just be a poorer version of Sonny while Llorente (albeit his limitations) offers different kind of strenghts.

Yea, but don't we have Sonny already to fill this role in the team?
King would be just be a poorer version of Sonny while Llorente (albeit his limitations) offers different kind of strenghts.

As much as Llorente doesn’t suit our style of play at all, the last 2 or 3 times he’s been brought on as a plan b with 10 minutes to go has directly led to goals. Probably worth keeping him until the end of the season if he’s willing to stay for an extra few months

As much as Llorente doesn’t suit our style of play at all, the last 2 or 3 times he’s been brought on as a plan b with 10 minutes to go has directly led to goals. Probably worth keeping him until the end of the season if he’s willing to stay for an extra few months
Yep.

I'm pretty happy with Nando in general.

Does his job admirably and never moans.

Simple question (from thread creator no less!): buy or not buy in January?
Personally I say buy. Wherever Poch thinks we need strengthening and push those dippers out of our top spot.

What do you all think?
Ps a huge thank you to all who've made me smile and laugh throughout this tough personal year. Merry Xmas my yid family

No doubt - my comment was related for next season going forward as I’m pretty certain we won’t renew his contract

Simple question (from thread creator no less!): buy or not buy in January?
Personally I say buy. Wherever Poch thinks we need strengthening and push those dippers out of our top spot.

What do you all think?
Ps a huge thank you to all who've made me smile and laugh throughout this tough personal year. Merry Xmas my yid family
Buy if the right player becomes available.

Don't buy for buying's sake. Someone who'll push Skippy out the squad.

Back
Top Bottom