Kieran Trippier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Walker did have a few mistakes in him across his time here - but I don't remember him

a) Making an individual error leading to a goal in a big game under Pochettino
b) Making individual errors as regularly as Trippier did across a whole season under Pochettino

It seems people have fixated on Walker making errors under Sherwood, Redknapp, AVB and under Guardiola yet forgot how crucial he was to our overall play under Pochettino. The threads and posts are on here. We ALL knew Walker was the best right back in the league, everyone else knew Walker was the best right back in the league, the only thing that's changed is he now plays for Man City and some people feel they can't praise someone who no longer plays for us.

Correct me if I am wrong regarding the errors in big games under Poch though - I can't think of any of the top of my head that's all.

It's always much easier to remember things that are recent isn't it. He's did make errors under Pochettino (he made an error at West Ham that cost us the only goal of the game which effectively killed our title chase in one of his last games for us). He was often caught not playing the offside well, something Trippier generally does much better. And he's still making errors under Guardiola, he was dropped for costing them games over Christmas.

BT Sport pundit Rio Ferdinand brands Kyle Walker a ‘liability at the top level’

Also, Trippier hardly makes any of the total cluster fucks that Walker frequently made - and is still making - some of the things Trippier gets blamed for are just normal football stuff, like teams catching us with our FB's up the pitch and high line, or playing good passes inside the FB - the same happened Walker - but when it happened to Walker no one blamed him or called it a major blunder.

Trippier isn't is quick as Walker, but it's not like he's ponderously slow either.

I just find this whole narrative around Trippier a bit bizarre. Just look at the shortage of quality full backs in general. The way teams like us play, asks FB's to be defenders, midfielders and forwards. I'm all for us upgrading for a RB that does those three things brilliantly. I just don't see that many out there that do, especially that we could get.

PSG, one of the richest clubs in the world have Meunier and Kurzawa FFS.

I just think there are much bigger issues in this team.

:dembelelol:
Written from the bowels of his fan club admin.

I've acknowledged the parts where he did OK, read them. But he's FUCKING SHIT! Shit players do calamitous things many times. He's SHIT!

But according to Blakey he defended really well

Lmfao

Shit doesn’t even begin to describe him!

Spot on!

The worst game I can recall from him under Poch was his last season against West Ham. He was so high up the pitch that night and he did little tracking back. We will never know for sure but as he hadn't ever down this before, plus he remained on the pitch I am assuming it was a specific tactical instruction from Poch. I mean all he had to do is instruct him to drop right?

His all-time worst gaffe was against Liverpool away, we were the better side and he ballooned the ball straight to a Liverpool player, from that moment were shit and lost the game. I think this was under AVB?? But it's odd why so many get hung up on that and no more than a couple of other examples, whilst not also doing the same to Rose and his Cryuff turn against the scum, Toby's now made what 3 or 4 massive blunder this season alone where the oppo have scored from as a direct result, but not a peep.

BAE and Defoe did similar things at Anfield

What is it about that shithouse?
Certainly not the atmosphere

We've all known, or should've known, that fullbacks (especially RB) are a huge problem area for us. Along with CM, these areas desperately need massive improvements in the summer. I've said it before, we need to sign 5 really good players in order to continue to compete at the top and not fall away, and most of that is for these two areas.

Walker did have a few mistakes in him across his time here - but I don't remember him

a) Making an individual error leading to a goal in a big game under Pochettino
b) Making individual errors as regularly as Trippier did across a whole season under Pochettino

It seems people have fixated on Walker making errors under Sherwood, Redknapp, AVB and under Guardiola yet forgot how crucial he was to our overall play under Pochettino. The threads and posts are on here. We ALL knew Walker was the best right back in the league, everyone else knew Walker was the best right back in the league, the only thing that's changed is he now plays for Man City and some people feel they can't praise someone who no longer plays for us.

Correct me if I am wrong regarding the errors in big games under Poch though - I can't think of any of the top of my head that's all.

When did he do that ridiculous crossfield back pass vs Liverpool?

Let me guess. Sissoko?
Yeah I agree, if Sissoko is sold, we're going to win the league, the Champions League, Europa League, the World Cup, Confederations Cup and maybe if we care, the League Cup and the FA Cup.

Then we’ll be founders of the new European Super League

But according to Blakey he defended really well

Lmfao

Shit doesn’t even begin to describe him!
There was a controlled part of his game that I thought was good, positionally he was where you would expect your FB to be, unfortunately, he did fuck-all up the other end of the pitch but he's a fucking disaster when playing out from the back, no technical ability at all, destroys how we build-up.

It's always much easier to remember things that are recent isn't it. He's did make errors under Pochettino (he made an error at West Ham that cost us the only goal of the game which effectively killed our title chase in one of his last games for us). He was often caught not playing the offside well, something Trippier generally does much better. And he's still making errors under Guardiola, he was dropped for costing them games over Christmas.

BT Sport pundit Rio Ferdinand brands Kyle Walker a ‘liability at the top level’

Also, Trippier hardly makes any of the total cluster fucks that Walker frequently made - and is still making - some of the things Trippier gets blamed for are just normal football stuff, like teams catching us with our FB's up the pitch and high line, or playing good passes inside the FB - the same happened Walker - but when it happened to Walker no one blamed him or called it a major blunder.

Trippier isn't is quick as Walker, but it's not like he's ponderously slow either.

I just find this whole narrative around Trippier a bit bizarre. Just look at the shortage of quality full backs in general. The way teams like us play, asks FB's to be defenders, midfielders and forwards. I'm all for us upgrading for a RB that does those three things brilliantly. I just don't see that many out there that do, especially that we could get.

PSG, one of the richest clubs in the world have Meunier and Kurzawa FFS.

I just think there are much bigger issues in this team.

Rio Ferdinand???

One of the worst pundits out there and that’s saying something

:dembelelol:
Written from the bowels of his fan club admin.

I've acknowledged the parts where he did OK, read them. But he's FUCKING SHIT! Shit players do calamitous things many times. He's SHIT!

I agree mate, he isn’t good enough to be a first choice FB at this club if we want to achieve big things.

I said in another thread all our FBs need replacing bar Rose (and even he isn’t consistent enough but at least he has some talent and can influence games.)

Terribly limited player whose 2 decent games vs average opponents in the WC got to his head big time. Difference was - he didn't have to do any defending in Southgate's formation. At least back then he could put in a decent cross whereas now he just runs, stops and passes backwards to Lloris

Some were claiming few days ago Walker is a worse player - LMFAO

Last edited:
Eh? ...He was looking right at Lloris!

He looks up at the point of contacting the ball at which time it's too late. He was focused on the running of Willian.

Tripps ultimately fucked up, no one can deny that but if Schmeichel was the keeper his ear drums would have burst from the volume of the shout. Also he would be shitting it knowning his keeper was about to smash through him. Lloris is nervous and doesn't command his box which breeds indecision.

He looks up at the point of contacting the ball at which time it's too late. He was focused on the running of Willian.

Tripps ultimately fucked up, no one can deny that but if Schmeichel was the keeper his ear drums would have burst from the volume of the shout. Also he would be shitting it knowning his keeper was about to smash through him. Lloris is nervous and doesn't command his box which breeds indecision.

Lloris should already have cost us a goal in that game last night when he threw it straight to their player - it was a monumental fuck up by them that they didn't punish it.

Both were responsible for the goal but having watched it again I think Lloris is more to blame. He can see the chelski player behind Tripps and Tripps also gestures for him to get back meaning a back pass is imminent.

I watched the replay a few times and I noticed Toby pointing for Trips to play it back as well. It was really the perfect storm for an OG. But ultimately Trips has to get his head up and look at the situation and not just do what someone is telling him to do.

Both were responsible for the goal but having watched it again I think Lloris is more to blame. He can see the chelski player behind Tripps and Tripps also gestures for him to get back meaning a back pass is imminent.

Both played their parts but you are always told never to pass it back towards the goal. Trippier could easily have passed it back either side of the post, kicked it out when in doubt when there is clearly doubt in that moment or taking control himself and shifted left or right and opened up space to face forward not backwards though.

Trippier definitely has more responsibility than Lloris on this one, absolutely no doubt about it. He's the one with the ball, he needs to react better than he did

Looks to me like Trippier was calling Lloris to come to him only to then pass it where Lloris was previously - but I'd still probably blame them both.

We move on.

Back
Top Bottom