Messi - The greatest player ever?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

@2.07 he attempts a defence-splitting pass for Alba(??), it gets cut out but he didn't just stop to admire his pass, he was the fastest player to react and won it back within 3 seconds!

Last edited:
I come from Maradona's era but even I am starting to think that Messi may be the GOAT.
Maradona is at a similar level to Messi mind.

I come from Maradona's era but even I am starting to think that Messi may be the GOAT.
Maradona is at a similar level to Messi mind.
As someone else said in either this thread or the other matches one. Maradona had the same highs as Messi, but also far too many dips in his career. Messi is just scarily consistent.

Ronaldo is by a long way the most successful and greatest player to grace a professional football pitch.
I grew up at a time when Diego Maradona was at the peak of his powers and never thought i would witness anybody who came close now Ronaldo/Messi era has made things interesting

Maradona comparisons aside, what I can't get my head round is the scoring rate of messi and ronaldo.
I know they play for the hugely dominant sides in their league but they're the kinds of numbers that Dixie dean was hitting in a season. The tally and ratio of Gerd muller I thought would never be surpassed. But Messi has shat on it.
It's also one of the sticks used to beat football from the olden days - that you got cricket scores and players scoring 50 a season. That there were no systems or defence so it was easy to score.

Maradona comparisons aside, what I can't get my head round is the scoring rate of messi and ronaldo.
I know they play for the hugely dominant sides in their league but they're the kinds of numbers that Dixie dean was hitting in a season. The tally and ratio of Gerd muller I thought would never be surpassed. But Messi has shat on it.
It's also one of the sticks used to beat football from the olden days - that you got cricket scores and players scoring 50 a season. That there were no systems or defence so it was easy to score.

The most impressive thing is the fact that he's averaged nearly a goal a game in the CL over his career, which has included perennially deep runs in that tournament against quality opponents. What he's done in the joke that is La Liga, where he gets 20-30 matches per season against Championship or below talent, is far less impressive by comparison.

It's impossible to account for the differing eras and, most importantly, how much of a boost it is for Messi that for his entire career the 10 guys he plays with each match are invariably 10 of the top 20-30 players in the entire world.

The most impressive thing is the fact that he's averaged nearly a goal a game in the CL over his career, which has included perennially deep runs in that tournament against quality opponents. What he's done in the joke that is La Liga, where he gets 20-30 matches per season against Championship or below talent, is far less impressive by comparison.

It's impossible to account for the differing eras and, most importantly, how much of a boost it is for Messi that for his entire career the 10 guys he plays with each match are invariably 10 of the top 20-30 players in the entire world.
I appreciate that a lot of teams in la liga are a bit piss, but the likes of Hugo Sanchez, Ronaldo (Brazil), Butragueno, Van Nistelrooy, Lineker, Romario - didn't get to the numbers messi and ronaldo have in that league. So either the gap must have widened considerably between those teams and the rest, and the overall quality of the the players in those teams must have significantly improved in the last 10 years - or messi and ronaldo are the freaks everyone says they are.

Back
Top Bottom