Tottenham Hotspur vs Sunderland (away) 29/12/2012

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Starting on the left and drifting in is hugely different to starting central.

Dempsey is a good example of this. Last year he scored the lions share of his goals starting on the left of midfield. He scored less when started behind the striker.

Coming off of the left allowed him to find space that had been created by the strikers/striker+AM. If he was in that position to start with he would be much more closely marked and would end up having to make runs to pull people around and create space himself.

While the end result is player = central = goal it would be naive to think a player would be equally/more effective if he player there full time. The nature of starting on the left is a huge advantage, or at least it can be.

Tbh. I feel you vs the minnows where back tracking as defense coverage to the LWB is not a necessity. But what about vs quality like United or City? Too dangerous of a game to play ...thus, have a traditional LM and keep Bale centralized. The thing is ... bale can just as easily start as 2nd striker ad roam to the left just like he does now in th opposite direction

Anyway, back to football. I'm thinking we line up the same as Villa (4-4-2) but we play a back four of Walker, Caulker, Vertonghen, Naughton.

If Dawson and Caulker are both fit, I'd rather see that CB pairing w/ Vertonghen at LB.....

Naughton is too much of a liability back there which we've seen often.........

Sunderland at the Lane.......Would be fine w/ Naughton

But at the Stadium of Lights...........I think the wiser selection is Vertonghen and Spurs simply dont need pace to defend A.Johnson at RM for the Black Cats

Tbh. I feel you vs the minnows where back tracking as defense coverage to the LWB is not a necessity. But what about vs quality like United or City? Too dangerous of a game to play ...thus, have a traditional LM and keep Bale centralized. The thing is ... bale can just as easily start as 2nd striker ad roam to the left just like he does now in th opposite direction

You are talking as though all he will do is drift centrally. He is a winger, he will play wide. Coming central when it is appropriate, not constantly.

Aside from which, we played Modric LM and he constantly came infield - and it was a superb tactic leading us to our first 4th place finish. We had compensating factors like Ekotto pushing up to fill the gap or a forward coming wide.

You are talking as though all he will do is drift centrally. He is a winger, he will play wide. Coming central when it is appropriate, not constantly.

Aside from which, we played Modric LM and he constantly came infield - and it was a superb tactic leading us to our first 4th place finish. We had compensating factors like Ekotto pushing up to fill the gap or a forward coming wide.

And don't forget Bale was a LB too. Now look at him.

His game has evolved further and natural evolution has him moving to a centralized role to truly allow him to express his pace, his growing technical ability and his uncanny clinical killer instinct in from of the net.

Back
Top Bottom