Women’s football: World Cup.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's not nice to sit on the end of a trashing (us losing 7:1 to Newcastle is one of the more traumatic memories of my youth), but it's outweighed by the entertainment that was had when we've dealt out ridiculous scores.

Some of the reaction to how ruthless the US were is starting to smack a bit of patronising the sport. Thailand are a team of adult sportswomen competing on the elite stage. It is supposed to be tough and if you're not good enough you're meant to be punished. It's the tournament's fault that such poor opposition were playing, not the US team's.

Last edited:
N. Korea should be there instead anyway. They're one of the top women's teams in the world but were shafted in the qualifying stage apparently.

Here's a rather good story on why the Thais are at the tournament and the North Koreans are not:

At the 2011 Women’s World Cup, five North Korean players tested positive for steroids and the team was banned from the 2015 tournament. Now, plenty of people deny using prohibited substances. Many produce extravagant alibis for how illicit drugs entered their bodies: Their toothpaste was spiked. They kissed their girlfriend too passionately. They absorbed a twin in utero.
North Korea, though, trotted out a particularly ornate explanation. Many of its players had been struck by lightning, team officials said. To recover, the players took traditional medicine made from the glands of musk deer. Or so it was said. Even FIFA, which has been known to put up elaborate smoke screens of its own, especially when it comes to bribery scandals, did not buy that excuse.

It's not nice to sit on the end of a trashing (us losing 7:1 to Newcastle is one of the more traumatic memories of my youth), but it's outweighed by the entertainment that was had when we've dealt out ridiculous scores.

Some of the reaction to how ruthless the US were is starting to smack a bit of patronising the sport. Thailand are a team of adult sportswomen competing on the elite stage. It is supposed to be tough and if you're not good enough you're meant to be punished. It's the tournament's fault that such poor opposition were playing, not the US team's.

To me at least, it’s not the fact they ran the score up to 13-0. You don’t stop scoring. But celebrating every goal like it’s the World Cup winner is pathetic and embarrassing. Show a little class, a little sportsmanship.

Don’t get me wrong, 13-0 for us against Woolwich or Chavs and I want every single goal celebrated to the absolute max! But it’s Thailand. There’s no rivalry there.

And Abby Wambach going on twitter and trying to make it a gender issue is just perplexing.

To me at least, it’s not the fact they ran the score up to 13-0. You don’t stop scoring. But celebrating every goal like it’s the World Cup winner is pathetic and embarrassing. Show a little class, a little sportsmanship.

Don’t get me wrong, 13-0 for us against Woolwich or Chavs and I want every single goal celebrated to the absolute max! But it’s Thailand. There’s no rivalry there.

And Abby Wambach going on twitter and trying to make it a gender issue is just perplexing.
Like I said earlier, I think it’s a women’s football culture. I don’t like to see it either but I believe it’s the norm to celebrate goals like that.

Like I said earlier, I think it’s a women’s football culture. I don’t like to see it either but I believe it’s the norm to celebrate goals like that.

Yeah sorry, I meant to acknowledge that. You might be right, as I don't watch women's college sports. I don't know, I just think it's weird though. My daughter plays rugby and last weekend they were hammering the other side. We had them passing so everyone got a touch before scoring and when they did score to congratulate the scorer, but not celebrate. Even kids understand that it's poor form to rub the opponent's face in it.

I'm not really that concerned with it. As a Canadian, I'll just cheer against the US, as usual, and hope they lose fantastically! (My family is actually dual US/Canada, so it's just friendly rivalry)

Yeah sorry, I meant to acknowledge that. You might be right, as I don't watch women's college sports. I don't know, I just think it's weird though. My daughter plays rugby and last weekend they were hammering the other side. We had them passing so everyone got a touch before scoring and when they did score to congratulate the scorer, but not celebrate. Even kids understand that it's poor form to rub the opponent's face in it.

I'm not really that concerned with it. As a Canadian, I'll just cheer against the US, as usual, and hope they lose fantastically! (My family is actually dual US/Canada, so it's just friendly rivalry)
It definitely rubs me the wrong way as well

Germany picking up another result without playing very well. France v Norway is interesting cause they are two of the most complete looking teams in this competition.

Maybe in youth sports, but certainly not the peak competition of your sport
I don’t know what you are talking about but running up the score is generally frowned upon in major men’s sports in the US. In the MLB players get thrown at for stealing when their team is up big. In the NBA teams get in fights when a team runs up the score. With the notable exception of the Patriots, teams generally pull their starters when they have a big lead late in the game in the NFL.

Only saw the goals but I almost felt sorry for the Thailand women, they just looked light years behind the USA, who are obviously a pretty good team, but the majority of the goals just looked so ridiculously easy with the Thai defenders and keeper defending about as well as traffic bollards.

I shall be supporting the USA after all the hand-wringing shit about winning well I've read on here, go girls.

Spurs supporters will remember with affection forever Spurs 9-1 Wigan, if you don't like that, then you don't like football.

I don’t know what you are talking about but running up the score is generally frowned upon in major men’s sports in the US. In the MLB players get thrown at for stealing when their team is up big. In the NBA teams get in fights when a team runs up the score. With the notable exception of the Patriots, teams generally pull their starters when they have a big lead late in the game in the NFL.

MLB: Stealing is frowned upon with a completely lopsided score yes (Stupid unwritten rule like all of them). But you see lopsided scores in baseball all the time. Like, ALL the time and it's not like the team that's winning decide to not get base hits or try not to hit home runs when it's something like 10-1. That's bullshit and you know it.

NBA: Lopsided scores don't happen as much as they used to but they still happen and just because there might be one or two examples of a team getting butt hurt that they're losing that bad doesn't mean lopsided scores don't happen. Coaches will take out their star man but that's it. The rest of the team is still expected to give it their all.

NFL: Same thing with pulling their quarterback but that's it. You don't get teams that put their foot off the pedal for a lopsided scoreline.

With only 3 substitutions in soccer it's different than other American sports where you can basically pull every started if you wanted to and replace them with bench players. But you're acting as if lopsided scorelines in professional sports are frowned upon and that's not true. And like I said, certainly not in the biggest competition of said sport.

MLB: Stealing is frowned upon with a completely lopsided score yes (Stupid unwritten rule like all of them). But you see lopsided scores in baseball all the time. Like, ALL the time and it's not like the team that's winning decide to not get base hits or try not to hit home runs when it's something like 10-1. That's bullshit and you know it.

NBA: Lopsided scores don't happen as much as they used to but they still happen and just because there might be one or two examples of a team getting butt hurt that they're losing that bad doesn't mean lopsided scores don't happen. Coaches will take out their star man but that's it. The rest of the team is still expected to give it their all.

NFL: Same thing with pulling their quarterback but that's it. You don't get teams that put their foot off the pedal for a lopsided scoreline.

With only 3 substitutions in soccer it's different than other American sports where you can basically pull every started if you wanted to and replace them with bench players. But you're acting as if lopsided scorelines in professional sports are frowned upon and that's not true. And like I said, certainly not in the biggest competition of said sport.
I didn’t say lopsided score lines are frowned upon, I was saying that intentionally running up the score once it’s already lopsided is considered poor form.

Back
Top Bottom