Other matches fred 2018/19

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Swedish football will have its first ever midnight game kick off in just five minutes as Sundsvall host Eskilstuna.

The game kicks off at 11pm and ends after we've past over into Sunday.

Been away for a couple of days and am just catching up with some recorded games. Starting with the Argentina v The Rondon/ todd1882 todd1882 team. Fuck me what a pile of wank this game was.

People who groan about Eriksen's performances this season, should watch Messi for Argentina to see how easy it is for talented players to look less than wonderful when playing in badly functioning teams.

Really not sure what Foyth gave this team as a RB? Or why Lo Celso didn't start, or why he switched from the 433 to the 4312, but none of these things improved them. Luckily for Argentina, the Rondon team were equally devoid of ideas.

Been away for a couple of days and am just catching up with some recorded games. Starting with the Argentina v The Rondon/ todd1882 todd1882 team. Fuck me what a pile of wank this game was.

People who groan about Eriksen's performances this season, should watch Messi for Argentina to see how easy it is for talented players to look less than wonderful when playing in badly functioning teams.

Really not sure what Foyth gave this team as a RB? Or why Lo Celso didn't start, or why he switched from the 433 to the 4312, but none of these things improved them. Luckily for Argentina, the Rondon team were equally devoid of ideas.

Sidestepping the Eriksen comparison....

If the typical critique of Argentina is that it's a team built around Messi... Of all people, why should HE get a pass? (Genuinely baffled by this for years now tbh...)

it was a gimmicked attempt by the club to capitalize on the Swedish summer to draw some extra people to the stadium. Make it an all day affair with a market in the city centre, the stadium open all day serving drinks and food and such.

Did end up drawing their biggest gate of the season but I don't think they will repeat it.

Sidestepping the Eriksen comparison....

If the typical critique of Argentina is that it's a team built around Messi... Of all people, why should HE get a pass? (Genuinely baffled by this for years now tbh...)

That's all good and well if it's built properly, if that team (and Messi within it) are being set up properly to maximise their potential. What we seem to be watching is some dubious personnel choices, being tactically badly set up, with no proactive coached ethos....and Messi.

I just think it's no coincidence that he can look superhuman playing for Barca most games, but pretty ordinary playing for Argentina most games.

That's all good and well if it's built properly, if that team (and Messi within it) are being set up properly to maximise their potential. What we seem to be watching is some dubious personnel choices, being tactically badly set up, with no proactive coached ethos....and Messi.

It's been how many coaches and how many top players surrounding him now tho'?

I just think it's no coincidence that he can look superhuman playing for Barca most games, but pretty ordinary playing for Argentina most games.

Yet, Barca's post-Pep history points to a similar dynamic... Remember that Barca fan who came here recently and proclaimed "we're allergic to good managers these day" (paraphrasing)....

I don't suppose there is a definitive answer, but although the game has moved on somewhat, look at Maradona for Argentina AND Napoli by comparrison...

Well, if it was good football you were after then perhaps you should have taken in the 2 WWC games that were on. good stuff. I look forward to your input on the US versus HM tea taxing thugs FC next week. *getting tribal already, sorry

And on a final note, Rondon!

Last edited:

And people wonder why I 🤯 when people try and argue Messi is better than Ronaldo....if it was boxing match the ref would stop it around the 8th round.

It's been how many coaches and how many top players surrounding him now tho'?

Yet, Barca's post-Pep history points to a similar dynamic... Remember that Barca fan who came here recently and proclaimed "we're allergic to good managers these day" (paraphrasing)....

I don't suppose there is a definitive answer, but although the game has moved on somewhat, look at Maradona for Argentina AND Napoli by comparrison...

They were never going to find another Guardiola, but they have won 5 of the 7 league titles since he left and Messi has been and continues to be absolutely phenomenal (his scoring/assist rate barely changed) during that time for Barcelona, despite not onlyGuardiola departing, but much of the team that was around him in that Guardiola era and just post Guardiola era.

Maybe some of the problem is Argentina simply haven’t had the quality of personnel around him - they’ve had other good players, just not the right balance at the right time maybe- but they have been continually badly managed (like putting Maradona in charge and him not even taking Cambiasso to a WC).

And my point was, as we’ve seen this season, poor tactical application (and poor coaching - though with us it’s more the tactical application) can make the best of players look less great, the converse is that good coaching and/or tactical application can make ordinary players look decent and good players look great.

In Monastir right now watching the Tunisia match and it’s utter shite.

The locals are very very excitable though. Place goes mental every time they cross halfway.

Back
Top Bottom