Tottenham v Newcastle (Sunday 25 August 16.30)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Winks and Ndombele in midfield is way too defensive imo, we only need one holding mid I think.

Winks, as good as he is, all he really provides for us is the ability to retain possession, rarely if ever does he move the ball forward and I actually think he limits Ndombele because having two in the middle congests things.
It’s a big reason why our build up play is so slow. I crave fast football in the final 3rd, like with modric and vvd.

Playing both Son and Lucas would be silly here.

Especially with how Newcastle have lined up this season and will likely line up at the weekend.

Winks and Ndombele in midfield is way too defensive imo, we only need one holding mid I think.

Winks, as good as he is, all he really provides for us is the ability to retain possession, rarely if ever does he move the ball forward and I actually think he limits Ndombele because having two in the middle congests things.

Ndombele isn't a holding midfielder though.

Winks tends to play the ball forward more than Ndombele and Sissoko, so interesting to know who exactly you WOULD play in central midfield who passes the ball forward more than he does.

Last edited:
Why?

4231 with Son - Lamela/Eriksen - Moura is what I want. Why would it be silly?

They play a low to medium block. Play 3 at the back with 6 across midfield. They barely leave space in behind them, so how effective would it be to have Lucas AND Son, two players who flourish with space in behind?

It'll be a game where we're going to be taking shots from distance due to the fact we aren't going to break through their defence at every opportunity. With that in mind, he might opt for Son. Though Lucas is arguably better at sniffing out the second ball if it happens to fall in and around the box following a deflection of some sort - bit of a headache for Poch but that's always good.

Yes, Norwich smashed 3 against them, but it's probably likely that Bruce thought he could get something from a game against a newly promoted team that conceded 4 the previous week.

I'd still go with the team i posted in this thread though.

Lloris
KWP - Alderweireld - Sanchez - Rose
Winks - Ndombele
Lucas - Lamela - Eriksen
Kane
Creativity from Lamela and Eriksen to try and find the rare bits of space in behind with inventive passing. Winks and Ndombele controlling midfield in a game where we'll have 60% possession minimum.

Shame we have no Dele really (though hoping he makes the bench) - sort of game we could do with his late runs in the box from deep. No surprise he's scored against Newcastle in each of the last 2 seasons due to those runs.

I don't think 4231 with Son and Lucas would be terrible. I just think it'd bring unnecessary frustration when it's clear neither of them will get much joy when it comes to getting in behind or running into space.

Either way - our bench should be relatively strong and should provide plenty of options should we need to change it up tactically too.

Last edited:
Moura had a quiet game re Villa as they parked the Bus. surely if he plays the same will happen again re Newcastle. Save him for Woolwich who will leave him space.
Has Moura started against woolwich before? Think it’s time he completed his legendary spurs status by scoring one or two against them next week.

We have had some truly mortifying results against this lot in recent years, both the 5-1 at SJP and that home defeat where we let Sammy Ameobi score from a kick off spring to mind. Take them seriously and we will wipe the floor with them, we need to walk that line of being arrogant and imposing our football on them without becoming complacent. If we get stupid then they can embarrass us as they’ve done before.

Just realised Spurs have lost the last 3 home PL games v. Newcastle at Tottenham, as opposed to Wembley.
Need to put that right on Sunday.
38n6ww.jpg

3-2-3-2 lol

Lloris

Alderweireld Sanchez Vertonghen

Winks Dombele

Lamela —------------------— Eriksen
Celso

Kane Dele
Gazzaniga, Rose, Aurier, Dier, Sissoko, Son, Moura

I mean it looks dodgy but then, if they're doing a pulis, why not?

Last edited:
They play a low to medium block. Play 3 at the back with 6 across midfield. They barely leave space in behind them, so how effective would it be to have Lucas AND Son, two players who flourish with space in behind?
Can’t believe our fans still underrate our players “he’s fast so he’s good if he got space to run into”.
They can dribble with the ball so they can take on players, that creates space if a dribble is successful in a dangerous area because other opposition player will have to leave his position to cover the area and so on.

Muh speed ain’t all about space behind. Look at Liverpool’s front 3.

Back
Top Bottom