Tottenham v Newcastle (Sunday 25 August 16.30)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

No one should be guaranteed a spot in the team. Not even Son. With Ndombele now injured, it'd probably be a good chance as any to get back in the team though. I'd personally always start him over Lucas as he's a much better player - but I'm not sure how you can drop Lucas right now. It's exactly why I didn't cry when both Eriksen and Vertonghen were dropped for the opening game.

It's weird that people cry when Kane comes straight back into the team when we're doing well without him now all of a sudden Son is available and he should be guaranteed a spot instantly.

He hasn't played a competitive game of football since the 1st of June. It's probably not smart to throw in someone who isn't match fit against a team willing to sit back.

There is a massive difference between the 2 cases though.

When Kane has been out, it's because he has been injured, and he takes time to get up to speed.. so I and many others believe he shouldn't return straight into the starting XI. The same should apply for ALL the players.

However, in this case Son has been out due to suspension. And Mauricio has stated that he was looking sharp in training... so I don't see why he shouldn't go straight into the team. Just like Kane would if he was suspended.

The problem with the "Son hasn't played any competitive football so far this season" argument is that if you keep not playing him then it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.
Surely getting at least 45 minutes into Son before the NLD is vital ... we are at the stage in our development that whilst "play each game as it comes" is still important three points is still three points after all, preparing for the big six games that will eventually decide our season has to be a priority ...
We should beat Newcastle with any number of combination of players, but what we must do is get the best eleven ready to be on the pitch next weekend. Going with Davies, Vertongen and Son gives them a run out

Lloris
KWP - Vertongen - Sanchez - Davies
Sissoko - Winks - Lo Celso
Lamela - Son
Kane

Eriksen, Lucas and Danny as game changers from the bench if needed, and if all goes well maybe some minutes for Dier, Dele and Skipp instead

Depending on the result, I'd bring Son on in the 55th minute and give him a good 35+ minutes in the build up to the North London Derby next week.

I would agree with that if Son was off form but he was out due to suspension. He deserves a chance in the starting line up first. If he plays like shite then just take him off for Lucas or whoever and let him fight for his position again. He was on fire end of last season.

He was on fire?

I seem to remember 1 goal in his last 11 league games.

It's no coincidence that we've improved in both our games so far, when Winks was subbed off. It might as well be a case of his teammates not using him correctly, but IMO he's been underwhelming so far, only passing short sideways or backwards. I don't think he makes us tick, and would like to se a CM2 of Ndombele and Sissoko against Newcastle. Lo Celso to come in, if Poch insists on a midfield 3.

wine is such a personal thing and merlot is just a type of grape. Chilean merlot tastes nothing like French , Australian or American Merlot for a host of reasons, but soil and climate apparently are the main ones. Condemning a grape for its ubiquity seems odd to me. Particularly when you are lauding Chav Sav.
:):):)
I understand your argument but Merlot is, in my opinion, a grape with no real distinguishing features. I'm not condemning it for ubiquity. CAB. also grows just about everywhere too. I know wines like Petrus use Merlot. But when you get away from that astronomical type and down into the reality of good wine at a reasonable price, say 25 to 65, I don't think I've ever had a Merlot that impressed. Of course it's all objective. I love Black Pudding and my wife can't stand the sight of it.

Its one of the downsides - Poch trains them very hard so they should be fit all season (in theory)

However all new players to Poch methods are going to find it tough. Worrying that N'dombele is already feeling that its to much which means N'dombele needs longer to get up to Poch's desired level of training.

Hope Poch realises that when Lo Celso and Sessegnon are in full training.......
I didn't know we had a player called N'dombele. Is he related to Ndombele?

I agree with a lot of this but harsh on Son there, he has a dribble / control when he is on form at least comparable to Sane and close to Salah. Obviously this is when he is on form which is the question.
I don't think Salah is in the same league as Mane. He's just a chancer who gets lucky. Mane runs rings around him. I also think Son is way better than Salah. Much more creative and 10 times more exciting to watch.

Sounds like Sonny could be on fire on Sunday.

I love the way Poch goes off on a complete loony tunes when someone asks him about 'experimentation', rather than attempting to understand, let alone answer the question - 12:22min.

Won't talk about Mike Dean, with a small hint of a smile behind the veil of professionalism hahahahaa.

Aaaargh - he pronounces it Lo Chelso aaargh. 22:50.

Sounds like Sunday's team sheet won't contain any surprises.
Well he should know how to pronounce it correctly.!!, Lo C(h)elso must be correct in the Argentinean lingo.

Sadly, the Ndombele injury means Sissoko will start. Wish it was Dier. Or even an Eriksen-Winks midfield with a front 4 of Kane, Son, Lamela, Moura

I understand your argument but Merlot is, in my opinion, a grape with no real distinguishing features. I'm not condemning it for ubiquity. CAB. also grows just about everywhere too. I know wines like Petrus use Merlot. But when you get away from that astronomical type and down into the reality of good wine at a reasonable price, say 25 to 65, I don't think I've ever had a Merlot that impressed. Of course it's all objective. I love Black Pudding and my wife can't stand the sight of it.
Black pudding makes awful wine

I don't think Salah is in the same league as Mane. He's just a chancer who gets lucky. Mane runs rings around him. I also think Son is way better than Salah. Much more creative and 10 times more exciting to watch.
I know it's totally irrational, but theres something about Salah that makes me think that giving him a damn good slap would make me feel better. I have no idea why.

Black pudding makes awful wine
It's strange but I can only drink red wine, there is no white wine I can honestly say tastes nice and I've tried many, except for perhaps a cold Chablis on a very warm Summers day.
I love it when I offer guests a glass and they reply "Oh no thanks, I tried red wine once and didn't like it". :roflmao:

Back
Top Bottom