Whats gone wrong?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Poch's not up to it / Years of under investment

• Poch not up to it

• Years of under investment

Results are only viewable after voting.
Simeone plays boring defensive football with fast transitions. It's about as fun as watching paint dry. I'm sure he would bring us a title or two. But I would have stopped watching before that.

as).

You've answered my questions just in that one sentence . :thumbup: Unfortunately I cannot say the same about your Mr Potter.

Come on mate. Dembele was a good player but his best days were behind him. He also contributed nothing going forwards. He was a carrier of the ball. Our problems are more than him going

We'd have looked NO different yesterday if Dembele was in the starting line-up.

All it would have meant was one more player exempt from criticism.

Come on mate. Dembele was a good player but his best days were behind him. He also contributed nothing going forwards. He was a carrier of the ball. Our problems are more than him going
Yes Dembele was useless at going forward (he used to get lost even with satnav) but he was immense in breaking opposition play and holding the ball. Winks and Sissoko are laughing stock to compare. The only hope is to establish Ndombele and Dele partnership to safe guard the defence and control the midfield. Dele's duties were in the midfield at the end of last season so he can carry on this season and hopefully from Sunday.

I think our problems are with our full backs. They were such an important part of our game. Walker and Rose may not have been the greatest defenders, but they have the pace and attacking instinct to stretch the opposition and open up chances.

Last season Aurier was a liability and Trippier was our weak link. Rose had a mixed season, and Davies (who I do actually appreciate) had his worst season for us.

Ryan Sessegnon was a fantastic signing, and I hope to see him playing as a wing-back. I’m not convinced by our right side though. KWP, Foyth, Dier, Aurier if he stays - it’s not great.

I think our problems are with our full backs. They were such an important part of our game. Walker and Rose may not have been the greatest defenders, but they have the pace and attacking instinct to stretch the opposition and open up chances.

Last season Aurier was a liability and Trippier was our weak link. Rose had a mixed season, and Davies (who I do actually appreciate) had his worst season for us.

Ryan Sessegnon was a fantastic signing, and I hope to see him playing as a wing-back. I’m not convinced by our right side though. KWP, Foyth, Dier, Aurier if he stays - it’s not great.

Sessegnon and Foyth will be our future in full back terms but it will take a season at least to get them suitable, it’s an issue certainly.

Yesterday was not Dembele's sort of game.

We'd have been better in the Etihad with him.

You're not wrong.

But Poch would have played him in that sort of game and did numerous times.

We knew it wasn't the game for Sissoko. We knew we couldn't play Lucas and Son at the same time against a back five and we knew we'd have to play quick and we failed to do all of those things.

We have a great team. But the system is letting them down.

I'm getting gray hair over here waiting for them to prove that to me in calendar 2019.

Where did that team go that could just casually brush aside United in the sendoff to WHL?

The moment we stop dicking about with putting player in systems that don't benefit them, get our best players on the pitch and amp up the pace just a little bit - we'll be fine.

Worryingly, Poch doesn't seem to know that.

Typical August ????? This is a football team not a fucking racehorse . Why don't we ask the FA to start next season September 1st so we have a better chance. Why do you think teams play all those pre-season friendlies ??

Couldnt agree more - are we supposed to accept that every August (3-4 games) at the start of the season we are going to be in poor form?

I think that's unacceptable. You have a pre season and time to prepare like every team, it's an awful excuse.
I expect the team to be ready to get the necessary results although I accept there may be mitigating circumstances sometimes - injuries, new signings etc

Of course not just Dembele, but midfield weakness was a problem last year. Wanyama's injuries, Dier having a poor season didn't help. But I don't think it's a coincidence that as Dembele declined and then left, Spurs got worse. He allowed us to control games, especially away from home. He could receive/keep ball under pressure and get it to our attackers in dangerous areas. Would have helped us a lot in CL final.

People calling for poch to go are wasting their time none of the top managers will want to come in and work under tight budgets and projects.
Unfortunately some of the so called lesser teams are investing and are catching up, this could be one of those season's when we don't make top six let alone top four.
Levy's inbox would be full mate.
The job would attract some of the best.

Levy's inbox would be full mate.
The job would attract some of the best.

I think that's pretty naive.

This is a club that has way too high of expectations for its level of investment and which wants to develop academy players which big-name mercenary managers are notoriously loathe to do. Plus Levy is a well-known difficult person to work with.

I would like to think that but levy and the way he operates I can't see them all waiting until deadline to bring two players in it just a nonsense.

With the very utmost of respect how do you REALLY know how Levy operates ?? None of us do, except what we hear via the media and transfer hype. The next manager (whenever that may be) will be asked for his plans and given targets and objectives. He will then explain what he requires in order for those goals to be achieved and a timeframe, particularly from a financial basis.

Should Levy say "I'm quite happy with top four every season and the money that brings" then undoubtedly HE is the problem. Should Daniel genuinely crave silverware success then he has to surely realise a new ambitious manager will demand backing in the transfer market to bring in the players he requires.

Back
Top Bottom