Whats gone wrong?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Poch's not up to it / Years of under investment

• Poch not up to it

• Years of under investment

Results are only viewable after voting.
We no longer have this team.

D0edkr3X4AAHDBS

Or the key components that that team brought us.

So we no longer have attacking full backs on both sides, willing to provide that outlet with their pace and fearlessness. Willing to get behind the opponents full backs, get in the box and cause havoc.

We no longer have that feared midfield of style, steel, composure and skill. We don't quite have the same defensive consistency, due to a likelihood of injuries and age to those that were once involved.

We now have an ageing Rose, who looks a shadow of his former self. We have an older Lloris, Vertonghen and Alderweireld who all aren't as good as they once were. We've had three starting right backs in 2 years since that photo was taken and none of them have provided us the same sort of threat Walker did (Trippier provided a different threat but in a different team).

We don't (or haven't had) have Dele further forward and allowed to roam, create and score and we don't have Eriksen performing at the same level due to the issues with his future.

We now have Lucas and Son, who we have to try and fit in the squad. Lucas, doesn't really fit in anywhere in how we play, but to his credit has done an admirable job and never complains. Still not sure whether Son is a winger, wide forward or a forward to play alongside Kane and I don't really think Poch knows either.

We'll get through this - no doubt about it.

Probably take a few more weeks, maybe a month or two but I think once Ndombele is up and running, Lo Celso is in the squad and Dele is back, we'll start seeing something that resembles a classic Tottenham team.

Today, we dine on disappointment but we'll be back.

Last edited:
To many fans that are moaning wankers ... just like the cunts down the road ... having a whole section of the crowd almost begging for something to whine and moan about (just like on this site) will start to impact on the players ... bloke in the bar tried the 'we're shit' dialogue last night, it didn't end well ....

This is supposed to be a Spurs fan site not a home for gooner/spanner/dipper trolls but sadly that's what it's become ... far more negative posts than positive ones ... truly depressing stuff
We lost against relegation fodder at home playing shit football. How do you expect people to be positive?

Lol @ people suggesting Mourinho. Complaining about the shit football we played today whilst forgetting the type of football Mourinho’s teams play? What the fuck is wrong with people?

We look so badly coached. The man came here with a philosophy, but there is little evidence of it now. He's been here 5 years and still not coached us how to pass and move.

Pep and Klippity have raised the bar so high, it's not even funny.

There's very little one touch passing. It's all pass, control, look around, pass, control, look around, pass...

Fuck this shit we're tottenham champions league draw has show what we are about we are an elite side we are going to fuck the scum over.

Fuck the blip poch will sort it.

Had a few pints after work

1. We - STILL - don't have proper, fully functioning FBs.

2. Harry decided a good while ago he wasn't gonna press anymore - it effects the whole team, as our core game has been built on charging the team's dynamo from the front. I've said it before and folk don't like hearing it, but we now play better without him, as a TEAM.

3. Poch is too cocky, too proud and too stubborn:

- Player scores amazing hat-trick in CL semi's; poch thinks, "hmmm, yes, lemme stun the football world with my amazeballz wizardry by mugging this little fella off when he's on absolute fire and buzzing his cock off and bench him for the final and start a semi-fit Kane/ dawdling Dele instead!Just how big are my fucking balls...!!"

*record scratch - it was when this happened I knew trouble lay ahead*

- Out of nowhere starts using that rancid Diamond we are not equipped to play properly...persists (until last two games).

- Is reluctant to concede error early and change things in time to maintain a footing in games (if not gain an advantage).

- Hasn't won anything - not helped by said atrocious handling of CL final - but increasingly holds the air of someone who has won everything in the game and doesn't need to answer to anyone, or anything.

We need to get back to our core philosophy of being a ferociously hard working team that plays exhilarating football and takes nothing for granted.

Our manager needs to humble himself, refocus and rediscover/regenerate that raw energy we used to have.

At the same time he needs to reconfigure himself to drop players for the good of the team, regardless of their standing.

It's odd he's happy to ruffle feathers in other regards, but not this... which would actually benefit us.

I championed us bringing in Poch very early into our hunt for a new manager.

But I've always said that, as well as being able to develop players, he also has maturing and developing to do HIMSELF.

He is not, as he clearly believes, the finished product.

P.S. Fuck Dybala off and bring in Bruno Fernandes in January, who's a much more astute procurement for us right now, and then in the summer we do everything in our power to finally fix our FB situation, because without that we ain't going to all the places we'd hoped.

I've given this a lot of thought; I thought it could maybe be Poch thinking he should be more than just head coach, the disbandment of our recruitment apparatus, no DOF to oversee contracts, both resulting in some meh signings and some of our best players about to leave for frees, some talented academy kids being packed off for being on instagram and whatnot......but as "what's gone wrong scenarios go, I think you'll actually find our demise directly correlates with Poch thinking this fella should be playing more regularly for a team that has "playing football" as one of it's core philosophies.

EFbI1aZ.jpg

Yet without him it would have gone even more wrong....

Poch needs to stop blabbing in the papers as it’s become self centered and snide. Far more damaging than anything Redknapp ever did.

Why is Poch saying he’s not the manager he’s a coach and then going back in it a day later?

Why is he telling everyone there is no harmony between the players?

One day the FA Cup is shit, ego building but now we want to win it.

He was going to quit if we win the CL

He had never felt worse in his time here

We can’t compete with the big teams but we’re an elite team and only the PL and CL matter
But
Our target is 4th because we don’t have the players
But
We have a great squad and have to do things differently and be clever

Only City and Liverpool have mangers that choose their own players and here it’s Levy
But
“I personally spoke to Aurier/Moura/Llorente...............”

The window shutting on deadline day is great

The window shutting early is unacceptable

VAR is destroying fooball

We have to accept VAR (after we gain from it)

SHUT THE FUCK UP and play Eriksen and Dele in their correct positions.

Couldnt agree more - are we supposed to accept that every August (3-4 games) at the start of the season we are going to be in poor form?

I think that's unacceptable. You have a pre season and time to prepare like every team, it's an awful excuse.
I expect the team to be ready to get the necessary results although I accept there may be mitigating circumstances sometimes - injuries, new signings etc

Seems like Poch should be tested to see if he's bipolar.

One press conference he speaks about how he help bring Ndombele here. Few weeks later he says he has nothing to do with transfers.

One press conference he's happy with the squad. Then he's complaining about the window being open for the rest of Europe.

You don't hear other managers complaining like this. We broke our transfer record twice this window.

Stop bitching and get to work.

What's gone wrong ?

Not much really.

We qualified for the CL this season and finished fourth last season. Got knocked out at the semis of the league cup. Year before, same result we would have gone through to the final.

Saying that we are on a "bad run," going back to whenever is a bit nutty. One because unless there has been some pretty radical overhaul of the EPL last season's results don't count this season.

We needed to strengthen the squad - we did.

We had a good pre season. Beat Villa.Got a draw at City. Got beat by Newcastle - shit happens.

It's flipping nuts to make out we are in the midst of some sort of crisis. We are not.

We got to the CL final and we really were the better team.

Beat the South Londoners and suddenly everything will look different. If we don't makes it better when we do at NWHL.

We are a very good team, with a young talented squad, a good academy, we have loadsamoney, fantastic stadium.

COYS

What a tale to tell the grandchildren - I was there when we we increased our turnover by 20%.

You real fanz and your obsession with monetary awards do make me laugh.
You'll have to pop round to ours sometime and we can reminisce about the good old days looking at quarterly balance sheets from yesteryear... :roflmao: :thumbup:

We lost but we had 80% possession made over 800 passes so hardly "shit" football ... in fact only one team in over 7,000 EPL games has ever lost with more dominant numbers ...

That's not excusing the performance we were about as creative as a rap star, but the only "shit" bit was the lack of goals ... our keeper made one save, our defence allowed just three shots on goal ... even our midfield dominated possession so all that football was good ... but in the final third we created almost nothing

Not sure what the issues are confidence, system, talent but something isn't working ... sure we lost but if you think we played shit football you'd be wrong, we totally dominated 80% of the pitch we just didn't score ...

The failure to score is of course a massive problem no goals no points ... it's the lack of creativity that is the issue ... but to say we play shit football? well that's your valid opinion it's making things very black and white ...
We had 80% possession but didn't have a single shot on target until the 33rd minute. A vast majority of those 800 passes were either backwards or sideways and not penetrating forward ones.
I appreciate you are as disappointed as anyone else here but you have to surely concede that this was a thoroughly unconvincing performance. The most worrying was Poch's statement afterwards hinting that there was discord and lack of team unity and spirit within the group.
Something is definitely not right at the moment.

Seriously we had 38 crosses .... the fact nobody got on the end of any of them is the issue ... it's what Dele does so well ... and hopefully Ndombele and LoCelso ... not Son, Lucas or indeed Lamela, all Newcastle had to do was mass mark Kane, which they did

So you're saying we played right into the hands of our opponents in a predictable and impotent fashion?

Now I'm just a simple country lawyer, but where I come from they call that shit football.

It's not as good as many think.
Which is why it's a fucking miracle he's achieved champions league football 4 years running and got us to the final last season.
A miracle?
Kane
Dele
Eriksen
Lloris
Jan
Toby
Son
Walker (you claimed was world class)
Rose (you said was so good we should keep at all costs)
And the best manager on the planet.

Miracles you say?

No John, what Ranieri achieved with Danny Drinkwater in midfield and Wes Morgan at CB was a miracle.
You seem to forget that in all this talk of squad depth, we couldn’t catch a mid table Leicester side to win the PL when all our rivals had an off season at the same time.

We shit the bed John. We threw away a 13pt lead on Woolwich and finished behind them.
We lost 5-1 to a relegated team.

That was the best team in 30 years John.. and bar Walker and Dembele ( the latter you wanted replaced and upgraded) they are all still here.

Back
Top Bottom