Whats gone wrong?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Poch's not up to it / Years of under investment

• Poch not up to it

• Years of under investment

Results are only viewable after voting.
Vowed I wouldn't speculate on this but do any of you not think Poch has possibly strayed a little too close with his players ? He has seemed to maintain more of a coach relationship than a manager. Ferguson was a prime example of someone who, whilst respected by the team, always kept that discrete distance from them that allowed him to keep order amongst the ranks.
I am all for team spirit and a feeling of camaraderie but as anybody here who has held a managerial or supervisory position will know, there is a need to remind staff (players in this case) who is ultimately responsible for their individual actions and performances.
Whilst Poch has to be a friend, confidante, father figure, mentor and probably many other guises in order to 'keep the dressing room' he also has to be revered and feared if someone deserves a good bollocking. I just somehow cannot see him giving any player the 'hair dryer' treatment.
After a while that's when complacency creeps in and players become a little too 'comfortable' with life. Maybe I am way off the mark here but just me thinking aloud.....

Did u ever see poch play football? I’m sure he has no problem giving out a dressing down when needs be

Based on the last 16 league games we'd be 17th in the table.

Either Poch's not up to it or we're paying for years of under investment in the squad.

Which is it?

I've given this a lot of thought; I thought it could maybe be Poch thinking he should be more than just head coach, the disbandment of our recruitment apparatus, no DOF to oversee contracts, both resulting in some meh signings and some of our best players about to leave for frees, some talented academy kids being packed off for being on instagram and whatnot......but as "what's gone wrong scenarios go, I think you'll actually find our demise directly correlates with Poch thinking this fella should be playing more regularly for a team that has "playing football" as one of it's core philosophies.

EFbI1aZ.jpg

Last edited:
What is this fallacy about Klopp winning stuff because he was backed. They didn’t spend a penny this year yet look as good.

He dropped Kieta and Fabinho for large parts of the season and stuck with Milner and Henderson. Would you want them under Poch?
They have an academy RB and a 9M LB from Hull.

They spent 60M on a keeper who wouldn’t look out of place in the 14M bracket.
VVD, let’s call him world class then to make people happy....75M, ok, that’s one.
Thats 135M on two players most clubs would have got for 70M combined.

Salah cost less than Sanchez, Lo Celso and Ndombele....Mane cost the same as Sissoko and Lamela.

It’s not spending, it’s called coaching and good tactics.

To be fair, when they signed Mane £34 m was a fair chunk of money relative to other signings. all transfers have inflated massively since then. Pool were also able to pay him much higher wages than most clubs could and certainly what we were paying pre-knocking down the old stadium.
Salah was brilliant business, although he didn’t cost that much, what would he be worth today?? I don’t think he has been coached to be that fast or to score such goals (perhaps the diving maybe!)
Salah and some of the others may not have cost that much, but neither did Vardy, Mahrez and Kante for Leicester. It happens very occasionally. Personally I think luck plays a big part in addition to careful research & judgement, or else it would be happening all the time.

I think you'll actually find our demise directly correlates with Poch thinking this fella should be playing more regularly for a team that has "playing football" as one of it's core philosophies

Do you think we would have smashed Newcastle if we had Ndombele on for Sissoko? I don't.

I've given this a lot of thought; I thought it could maybe be Poch thinking he should be more than just head coach, the disbandment of our recruitment apparatus, no DOF to oversee contracts, both resulting in some meh signings and some of our best players about to leave for frees, some talented academy kids being packed off for being on instagram and whatnot......but as "what's gone wrong scenarios go, I think you'll actually find our demise directly correlates with Poch thinking this fella should be playing more regularly for a team that has "playing football" as one of it's core philosophies.

EFbI1aZ.jpg

Yet without him it would have gone even more wrong....

Poch needs to stop blabbing in the papers as it’s become self centered and snide. Far more damaging than anything Redknapp ever did.

Why is Poch saying he’s not the manager he’s a coach and then going back in it a day later?

Why is he telling everyone there is no harmony between the players?

One day the FA Cup is shit, ego building but now we want to win it.

He was going to quit if we win the CL

He had never felt worse in his time here

We can’t compete with the big teams but we’re an elite team and only the PL and CL matter
But
Our target is 4th because we don’t have the players
But
We have a great squad and have to do things differently and be clever

Only City and Liverpool have mangers that choose their own players and here it’s Levy
But
“I personally spoke to Aurier/Moura/Llorente...............”

The window shutting on deadline day is great

The window shutting early is unacceptable

VAR is destroying fooball

We have to accept VAR (after we gain from it)

SHUT THE FUCK UP and play Eriksen and Dele in their correct positions.

Spurs fans are football fans. Just like fans of any othe club we care passionately about our team.
From a team so close to the pinnacle, as Poch himself said last summer, to relegation form since February, players running down their contracts, and unrest within the squad suggests something has gone wrong.

Are you saying everythings rosy and none of the above warrant discussion on a football forum?

There is a difference between a discussion about the difficult sitiuation we find ourselves in and the question asked at the start of the thread which is hysterical. It certainly warrants a discussion, we are all worried, but it's the angle of the discussion which bothers me. If you read that question without reading the table first you'd thought that we were 16th in March. Which obviously is not the case.

Not saying it will all go away right away, but the current discussion is over the top. It hasn't actually gone wrong. Yes we have had a sequence with bad results, but we also went to the Final in the biggest football club tournament in the world. A fact that should not, under any circumstances be ignored. I think it's obvious that our journey to the final for the first time ever is one of the factors we couldn't produce the highest level in the league.

If there is one thing I can agree with then it's the fact that he needs to stop being negative when talking to the press. If he doesn't, he will soon become a tag as a new Mourinho is moaning and won't get positive press from anyone. When something is not right at the moment, a lot of it has with Poch personally to do. There are difficulties at every club, but please keep it internal. He has done wonders with a lot worse squad than the current one. He needs to get a grip and get his act together. I believe he can do it though, he has it in him.

And if it really does goes wrong no player or manager is bigger than the club. I'd regret the day though, as it will be hard to find someone like the Poch we knew (not the post CL Final one).

Do you think we would have smashed Newcastle if we had Ndombele on for Sissoko? I don't.

You mean like he didn’t make a difference against Villa?

I don’t think Ndombele is the messiah, but I think one of the reasons we bought him was precisely because he can bring some of the things to our midfield that Sissoko is incapable of, like playing football, seeing passes etc

I do financial planning for a living and one thing I see all the time is people cherry picking time frames for the stock market to try and make a point. The cherry picked time frame of February to now doesn’t hold much weight with me. Are we saying something suddenly happened in February that tore the team apart and has carried through the summer? While at the same time we made a run to the CL final? Consider me highly skeptical.

Hey, mate, I went out and found this piece I was looking for. Back then I did not (want) to believe it, but the signs were there before. Just bit later the situation got exposed more.

That very clearly stipulates that we have been on downhill slope since mid 17/18. Whenever you look at the goals scored or goals conceded - this all fits together. We score less and less, we concede more and more. And we don't even press the oppo like AT ALL.

So the system is gone, squad is fleeing, results are getting worse, Poch seems like Mourinho on his worst days in press conferences. Why prolong the misery now. Basically all parties except Levy are unhappy with the situation now, isn't it so?

Sissoko isn't the problem. Winks is and has been hindering our football in pursuit of his pass count for ages.

The more I think about it, the club should be making preparations now to replace Poch at the end of the season.

Or sooner.
There's every possibility Poch isn't happy that he didnt get everything he wanted and was promised this summer and is now starting the procedure of getting himself sacked. No manager resigns anymore and no one gets sacked for being good.

It would be a great shame if the man who oversaw such an escalation in our fortunes left on a bum note.
I'd rather rinse Madrid for £20m and him be the first manager we've lost, rather than sacked since I can actually remember.

Back
Top Bottom