Whats gone wrong?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Poch's not up to it / Years of under investment

• Poch not up to it

• Years of under investment

Results are only viewable after voting.
I think today would have been a good wakeup call to Kane that the ref's aren't his friend. He needs to push for a shot even if he Sissoko's it. The fouls will come naturally or not at all.

As it is defenders know they can lean into him and down he goes. No shot. No penalty.

Poch did this to Kane.
If he wasn’t playing the way he has been coached to play, he’d have been dropped.

Poch can whine he’s our only striker all he fucking wants, I posted it before but Llorente got 2000 minutes in 2 years.....let’s guess what Janssen got?

You don’t leave your back up strikers on the bench and play one players every second they are fit. Even at 3 up they weren’t getting 20 minute run outs.
You don’t take Kane to Tranmere. You certainly don’t bring him on at 6-0 because “the Tranmere fans have never seen him”.

He’s injury prone and while he might score goals, sorry but gone are the days of 37 in a season. He’s just not hungry enough in this set up.

I expected this to last for years and years.....look at our core, they all look like shadows of themselves.
We got two years of Dele, kid yourselves all you want, but all we’ve got now is some kind of Morata, minus the few goals.
Jan and Toby look no better your average CB, and suddenly Sanchez is a RB. All that potential and we got half a season of quality out of him before he was benched off.

Trippier gone and Aurier just completely out of it. How about integrate him when you knew our only RB would be KWP. Now he’s just non existent.

People can blame the squad quality and chairman all they want, but I’m starting to feel we’re no more than Pochs little experiment for his next gig.
I don’t feel he’s part of the fabric anymore, and there is a disconnection.

Lots of people pinning there hopes on Ndombele, desperately hoping it’s the time old CM problem. It’s not.
How many CM combos can Poch fail with?
He looks like another good player in a shit system to me, and maybe we don’t see him until February anyway.

It’s Monday and it’s gloomy. Fitting.

You forgot loads of fucking CL money...my favourite stat is that the prize money received for a draw in the group stage is equivalent to that from winning the League Cup 8 years on the fucking bounce...

What a tale to tell the grandchildren - I was there when we we increased our turnover by 20%.

You real fanz and your obsession with monetary awards do make me laugh.

Pochettino needs to get more out of our players.

Or I want to see someone rise to the challenge because nobody is inspiring us to the heights.

Yesterday was by far our best performance of the season.

We have 10% more in us and Pochettino needs to find it.

I think people need to take a step back and look at some of the positives.

We had one bad result against Newcastle no doubt but we’ve had three very good results too. We lost at Man City and Woolwich last season so we’ve technically improved on last season in those games and we’ve taken points away from our closest competitors.

We’ve got the international break which came at a good time. It will give us a chance to figure out some of the background noise and get our injuries players back in the fold. Deli and Lo Celso will hopefully be nearing 100% fitness and able to start some games.

Transfer window is closed. Eriksen proved today that he’s knows he his a Tottenham player for the foreseeable future.

Next premier league games are against: crystal palace, Leicester, Southampton, Brighton and Watford. Leicester away will be tough but all winnable. If we can out together a run, we’ll be looking good

What a tale to tell the grandchildren - I was there when we we increased our turnover by 20%.

You real fanz and your obsession with monetary awards do make me laugh.
You'll have to pop round to ours sometime and we can reminisce about the good old days looking at quarterly balance sheets from yesteryear... :roflmao: :thumbup:

Leave City and Liverpool out if it or indeed think 2 or 3 seasons ago and a combined Prem 11 or 16 as in squad.

We would have had 2 or 3 in the team at least and 4 or 5 in the squad. I think that's about right as well.

Do the same today and leave Liverpool and City out of it and that would be maybe 1. Squad at present 2 or 3.

That's the consequential element of our lack of individual development.

Here are the last 10 FA Cup winners:

City
Chelsea
Woolwich
Man U
Woolwich
Woolwich
Wigan
Chelsea
City
Chelsea

Here are the last 10 League Cup winners:

City
City
Man U
City
Chelsea
City
Swansea
Liverpool
Birmingham City
Man U

The top 5 revenue clubs in England have won 17 of 20 of those Cups and of course 9 of the last 10 PL titles. Increasing our revenue by ensuring we get top 4 aids us in trying to win domestic cups--it doesn't hinder us! The reality is that none of the Big 6 takes the early stages of the League Cup or FA Cup seriously, yet City, Chelsea, Woolwich, Man U and Liverpool have won trophies because their second teams can see off early round opponents for the most part. We've done the same and actually had a fair bit of success progressing to later round of the FA Cup and League Cup. In those later rounds, we (like the other teams) have generally fielded very serious teams in an attempt to win those Cups. We've just fallen short each time. If we keep up our financial progress, which leads to keeping up player talent progress, then the Cups will come.

But I don't think FA Cups and League Cups are going to bring as much happiness as people think. Remember, Wenger won 3 FA Cups in 4 years and the supporters still wanted his blood.

Here are the last 10 FA Cup winners:

City
Chelsea
Woolwich
Man U
Woolwich
Woolwich
Wigan
Chelsea
City
Chelsea

Here are the last 10 League Cup winners:

City
City
Man U
City
Chelsea
City
Swansea
Liverpool
Birmingham City
Man U

The top 5 revenue clubs in England have won 17 of 20 of those Cups and of course 9 of the last 10 PL titles. Increasing our revenue by ensuring we get top 4 aids us in trying to win domestic cups--it doesn't hinder us! The reality is that none of the Big 6 takes the early stages of the League Cup or FA Cup seriously, yet City, Chelsea, Woolwich, Man U and Liverpool have won trophies because their second teams can see off early round opponents for the most part. We've done the same and actually had a fair bit of success progressing to later round of the FA Cup and League Cup. In those later rounds, we (like the other teams) have generally fielded very serious teams in an attempt to win those Cups. We've just fallen short each time. If we keep up our financial progress, which leads to keeping up player talent progress, then the Cups will come.

But I don't think FA Cups and League Cups are going to bring as much happiness as people think. Remember, Wenger won 3 FA Cups in 4 years and the supporters still wanted his blood.
Because they were used to challenging for the title and was seeing their team decline.
We on the other hand ain't used to regularly winning cups so i do think we would appreciate it alot more then other clubs

Because they were used to challenging for the title and was seeing their team decline.
We on the other hand ain't used to regularly winning cups so i do think we would appreciate it alot more then other clubs
I'm sure you're right. But I also think people are getting used to those CL evenings and seeming like a truly big club and if we fall out of the top 4, people will miss that a lot. If we won 3 FA Cups in 4 years, Spurs fans would probably be a lot more forgiving than Woolwich fans for sure, but a single FA or League Cup win may not buy as much leeway for Poch et all as is being suggested if he can't keep regularly qualifying for the CL.

“We can’t compete with Liverpool or City”

Oh you mean three years our finances and team were on a par with City?
No, but now their squad is miles ahead of ours, which wasn't the case in for example the 2015/2016 season when players like Joe Hart, Sagna, Kolarov, Fernando and Navas were regular starters for them.

Last edited:
No, but now their squad is miles ahead of ours, which wasn't the case in for example the 2015/2016 season when players like Joe Hart, Sagna, Kolarov, Fernando and Navas were regular starters for them.

And what about the team they fielded in the CL quarters last season? The team that won the treble?

We can compete with City in the CL, but not the Carabou?
A good few on here we lauding our tactical masterclass at the Etihad the other week.
I thought we couldn’t compete?

We don’t have to beat City, we have to beat Burnley...

Last edited:
I dunno how many of you on here are regulars at the ground, but looking at the disharmony on here, it's not hard to see why the atmosphere was so flat against Villa and Newcastle.
There's a lot of very divided opinions.

And what about the team they fielded in the CL quarters last season? The team that won the treble?

We can compete with City in the CL, but not the Carabou?
A good few on here we lauding our tactical masterclass at the Etihad the other week.
I thought we couldn’t compete?

We don’t have to beat City, we have to beat Burnley...
The difference in quality and depth of the squads will (almost) always show over 38 league matches, it would be perfectly normal if we finish, let's say, 12-15 points behind this Man. City team. Of course that doesn't mean that we can't beat them in the quarter finals of the FA Cup (just like Everton can beat us, but will most likely finish below us).

Poch did this to Kane.
If he wasn’t playing the way he has been coached to play, he’d have been dropped.

Poch can whine he’s our only striker all he fucking wants, I posted it before but Llorente got 2000 minutes in 2 years.....let’s guess what Janssen got?

You don’t leave your back up strikers on the bench and play one players every second they are fit. Even at 3 up they weren’t getting 20 minute run outs.
You don’t take Kane to Tranmere. You certainly don’t bring him on at 6-0 because “the Tranmere fans have never seen him”.

He’s injury prone and while he might score goals, sorry but gone are the days of 37 in a season. He’s just not hungry enough in this set up.

I expected this to last for years and years.....look at our core, they all look like shadows of themselves.
We got two years of Dele, kid yourselves all you want, but all we’ve got now is some kind of Morata, minus the few goals.
Jan and Toby look no better your average CB, and suddenly Sanchez is a RB. All that potential and we got half a season of quality out of him before he was benched off.

Trippier gone and Aurier just completely out of it. How about integrate him when you knew our only RB would be KWP. Now he’s just non existent.

People can blame the squad quality and chairman all they want, but I’m starting to feel we’re no more than Pochs little experiment for his next gig.

Lots of people pinning there hopes on Ndombele, desperately hoping it’s the time old CM problem. It’s not.
He looks like another good player in a shit system to me, and maybe we don’t see him until February anyway.

What capitulated and turned me around was the CL final. Who is really making the call? Is Kane bigger than the Club.

Poch did this to Kane.

Some of you guys are such pussies and whiners.

Back
Top Bottom