Whats gone wrong?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Poch's not up to it / Years of under investment

• Poch not up to it

• Years of under investment

Results are only viewable after voting.
This thread is poison. Accept the constraints we have and the fact that the club is in a much better position compared to ten years ago.

Agreed we do need to win something soon, but it will happen soon. Some people’s expectations are far too high and forget we have a stadium to pay off.

I think a lot of people would kill for an FA Cup.

Maybe it’s the guy who called it not a real trophy who’s expectations are too high.
You know that guy Pochettino.

Was going to answer these two remarks, but see that Totti has given a perfect summation.
Our downward spiral since February is largely that we ran CM into the ground. No options to rotate and they were knckered by season's end.

Top comment. I feel the regression at fullback is now our biggest achilles heel.
No wonder Kane had his lowest shots per game average last season, Dele didn't score as much and Eriksen had a so-so season.

Walker and Rose marauding forward, pulling defence's out of shape and formation and causing havoc as you say, was precisely what opened up pockets of space for Kane and Dele to thrive.

Now we can't break down a bus, and clubs like Newcastle and West Ham can come to our new stadium and grind out 1-0 bus park wins. Poch selecting Sissoko and Moura in these types of games doesn't help, they need room to move into. Just like in that last minute counter in the NLD and Sissoko's fluffed shot. They both need space.

We need to fix fullback.
Hopefully Ndombele and Lo Celso help forge a midfield that 'just worked' like the Dier and Dembele partnership.

The going forward part of Rose and Walker was immense, but I think what people are losing in our old shape was how much work they did up the pitch and for our midfield. They were essentially midfielders that kept the opposition pinned up field. We were relentless during this stretch.

Same goes for this team:

For some reason I can never get images to load right. To see the lineup you have to pull right on the image.

But this lineup was where Doer dropped back from midfield to make a back three essentially during attack and we were flying high.

I don t think it has to do with the players who are available. I am completely puzzled why we have stoped to press properly. We defend so differently nowadays, in a rigid zonal marking, not marking properly leaving opposition players way to much time to receive the ball and have a first touch and then we don t close em down we just retreat deeper and deeper. how do you want to track runners if your starting position is 5 meters away from them. It s horrible to watch

Poch is down to 4/1 now to be the next one out behind only Gracia. This is mostly down to the volume of bets that have gone on it, but there is often no smoke without fire.
I doubt he's been that low in a long time.

I can see United sacking Solskjaer by November and going hard for Poch.
If there is a problem, he's off.

Our back 4 is badly in need of a refresh. Our fullbacks were the worst set in the top 6 last season, and they are still the same this season. And our CB's are getting up there in years and don't move particularly well anymore.

We had maybe the best back 4 in the league 4 seasons back. Losing Walker and the aging of the two Belgians has really hurt us.

Pretty confident by the end of the season Sess and Foyth will have taken those spots at FB.

Sanchez is good at CB with a decent partner like Verts (obviously not at FB). I actually think Sess, Foyth and Sanchez will do ok by the end of the season.

It’s Verts that is my biggest concern, even Toby sometimes looks poor when he ain’t playing. I know Toby is the more Hollywood defender but for me Verts is our best defensive player in how we operate.

SISSOKO and Winks for me , that is whats gone wrong .
they are not good together and its shows on our wining record since the duo was introduced , and personally i cant remember when we played good controlling football with them both .

maybe they are good individuals but not together ...

SISSOKO and Winks for me , that is whats gone wrong .
they are not good together and its shows on our wining record since the duo was introduced , and personally i cant remember when we played good controlling football with them both .

maybe they are good individuals but not together ...

Sissoko is definitely limited, but I can see what he offers. He can drive the ball forwards like no one ele in the squad. Shame he's limited to 5 yard passes at the end of it.
Winks, I just can't see it.
He slows us down every time he gets the ball by dwelling on it then going sideways or backwards.
Hes a risk averse player and it's harming our transition from defence to attack against defence minded teams.

Not going to be the most popular view but I think Winks is a little overrated. Just a very small amount.
I like the guy, and want him to get good minutes every week.....but building a midfield around him I’m not convinced.

What he gives us is drive, passion, forward play and determination and for me that is exactly what we need.

But I just feel that he’s not going to be the guy that controls a midfield.
Whether it’s Winks and Ndombele, or Ndombele and Sissoko the way forward, I don’t know, but one things for sure, I never, ever want to see him removed from the middle of the pitch for Dele Alli.

Pretty confident by the end of the season Sess and Foyth will have taken those spots at FB.

Sanchez is good at CB with a decent partner like Verts (obviously not at FB). I actually think Sess, Foyth and Sanchez will do ok by the end of the season.

It’s Verts that is my biggest concern, even Toby sometimes looks poor when he ain’t playing. I know Toby is the more Hollywood defender but for me Verts is our best defensive player in how we operate.
Sessegnon isn't even going to play left back, he's going to play wide left/wide forward.

Poch is down to 4/1 now to be the next one out behind only Gracia. This is mostly down to the volume of bets that have gone on it, but there is often no smoke without fire.
I doubt he's been that low in a long time.

I can see United sacking Solskjaer by November and going hard for Poch.
If there is a problem, he's off.
What are the odds for him staying?

Can't figure out why they keep coming out and giving these negative quotes.
Not negative but truthful the mentality is still not good enough, defence is poor, and the movement ahead of the ball is not where it should be, so I can't see what is wrong with these quotes we are not good enough and that's it.

Not negative but truthful the mentality is still not good enough, defence is poor, and the movement ahead of the ball is not where it should be, so I can't see what is wrong with these quotes we are not good enough and that's it.

We will get it right offensively when Deadwood like Lamela is dropped, Son Lucas and Kane will all have spells of form, Eriksen is pro enough to do well until he leaves and Dele and Lo Celso will be a lot more valuable to the team than Lamela when fit

Defensively we are done apart from Sanchez everyone needs replacing next year, the team has had it's cycle.

We will get it right offensively when Deadwood like Lamela is dropped, Son Lucas and Kane will all have spells of form, Eriksen is pro enough to do well until he leaves and Dele and Lo Celso will be a lot more valuable to the team than Lamela when fit

Defensively we are done apart from Sanchez everyone needs replacing next year, the team has had it's cycle.
So no title for years then.

So no title for years then.

I can't see it, Toby and Jan are leaving and are aging anyway , Rose has had it, KWP and Foyth aren't good enough at RB, that leaves Sanchez and Foyth as CB next season who may or may not be good enough for a top team, we need to spend at least 100 mil on a top defense and that's not even entering Hugo into the equation. Levy don't do it.

Which part?
All of it mate your saying that one day into the future we might get it right and yet in pochs reign so far we have reached and lost two cup finals, another three semi finals and challenged both Leicester and then Chelsea only to not win anything.
And yet Leicester can go from relegation fodder to EPL winners within a season because they had genuine belief I themselves along with situations going their way, and yet we are still slowly very slowly trying to get there but what is there and what is the real excuse why we can't.

Back
Top Bottom