Whats gone wrong?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Poch's not up to it / Years of under investment

• Poch not up to it

• Years of under investment

Results are only viewable after voting.
It's not how much you spend, it's how you spend/manage it.

Football is littered with teams that spent vast sums of money trying to win titles and trophies yet couldn't.

Signing players that will be successful is such a difficult thing to do.
Even the best managers like Ferguson have got it spectacularly wrong at times.
Clubs can do all the research but often luck comes into it.
We signed Naughton & Walker at the same time yet everyone at Sheffield Utd thought Naughton would be the better player.
No one predicted what Bale would develop into.
When Salah went to Pool I dont recall anyone expecting that much from him but pound for pound he must have been one of the best buys in recent history. Everyone thought they overpaid for VVD but it looks like a great investment now. I miss the days when they signed talents like Andy Carrol.

The true answer is ‘perhaps’ those 2 might. But even then it’s debatable. For Klopps 1st 3 seasons with Pool his teams were far from brilliant. He had a very strong squad yet his results werent better than Rodgers. Granted he and Pep are brilliant managers, lets agree the best in the Premier but they have been made to look ordinary without superstars.
For Klopp the signings of Salah, VVD and the keeper was literally game changing. Added to that their FBs are so much better than what we have.
Our squad needs investment & improvement.
But will we get it or will poch want to wait another six transfer windows to get a bit closer.

Last edited:
I'm starting to think you actually relish in our failures just so you have more ammunition to come on here and demean and belittle Poch's achievments.

A little smugness inside you every time we lose.

It's really disappointing to see tbh

Ahhhhh there we have it:
I can’t answer so you’re a gooner

Whats your latest question?
I've been answering them all fuckin weekend.
And where have I ever called you a gooner????? I may think you're full of shit, but I'm surprised you think I'd stoop that low
Oh piss off John I just dismantled your whining crap bit by bit and your only answer was “you enjoy us losing”....

Grow up. You run when you have fuck all.

Go back and address the post you shit your pants from, point for point, or don’t quote me

He is 48 in March and he is the same as age Emery and 1 year younger than Pep neither of who are considered young. Martin Jol was 48 when he joined us and absolutely no one called him young!
I thought Jol was younger than that tbh.
I take your point though. Youngish would be more appropriate.
But at 48 he clearly sees this as a pivotal moment in his career. He's no longer satisfied with just reaching Levy's target of regular top 4.
He now wants to move on to actually winning major titles, not just competing.

I think this is crux of our turmoil tbh.....Poch's ambitions have outgrown Levy's. At least in the short term anyway

But at 48 he clearly sees this as a pivotal moment in his career. He's no longer satisfied with just reaching Levy's target of regular top 4.

I think this is crux of our turmoil tbh.....Poch'sambitions have outgrown Levy's. At least in the short term anyway
But what are Levy's ambitions is it global domination or a global bank balance.

Oh piss off John I just dismantled your whining crap bit by bit and your only answer was “you enjoy us losing”....

Grow up. You run when you have fuck all.

Go back and address the post you shit your pants from, point for point, or don’t quote me
I've been answering your pointless fucking questions for the last 48 hours .
I present you with factual responses and you come back with the same questions worded in another way.

You yourself keep saying Poch should be judged on trophies, yet when Levy's record of 1 fucking league cup in 2 decades is bought up suddenly trophies mean fuck all.

You've lost the argument Sammy. Take it like a man.

But you'll get your wish. Poch will be gone by xmas and the whole charade will start over again

Jan needs to return, Davies is a better defender than Rose so should play. Remember the old adage that good teams start with a good defence! N'Dombele probably should have a good run in the side (but is he fit?). Kane playing as a nine and a fit Dele working off him. Son and Moura in the same side probably does not work. Scary that we don't seem to have a decent right back; i'm even tempted to dream about the return of Walker!!!

I think this is crux of our turmoil tbh.....Poch's ambitions have outgrown Levy's. At least in the short term anyway

Levy wasn’t at Southampton when he played a weakened team in the FA cup and lost to Sunderland despite being mid table. Levy wasn’t there when he said he didn’t want Southampton to qualify for the Europa. There is a pattern there with this guy John - he has had the players and the fact remains that we are the only top 6 side not to have won a trophy - especially when inferior sides to us in that group have. When you take such a derisory attitude which he clearly has towards the likes of the FA cup, league cup and UEFA is there any wonder why we have seen such negative outcomes in those competitions. It’s quite simple - they guy isn’t a winner, he is the Tim Henman of football management. A good coach but nothing more than that and much like his mentor Bielsa ( who has never won anything in Europe) I don’t see him ever achieving major honours. It doesn’t matter how much you give him.

What's gone wrong ?

Not much really.

We qualified for the CL this season and finished fourth last season. Got knocked out at the semis of the league cup. Year before, same result we would have gone through to the final.

Saying that we are on a "bad run," going back to whenever is a bit nutty. One because unless there has been some pretty radical overhaul of the EPL last season's results don't count this season.

We needed to strengthen the squad - we did.

We had a good pre season. Beat Villa.Got a draw at City. Got beat by Newcastle - shit happens.

It's flipping nuts to make out we are in the midst of some sort of crisis. We are not.

We got to the CL final and we really were the better team.

Beat the South Londoners and suddenly everything will look different. If we don't makes it better when we do at NWHL.

We are a very good team, with a young talented squad, a good academy, we have loadsamoney, fantastic stadium.

COYS

Jan needs to return, Davies is a better defender than Rose so should play. Remember the old adage that good teams start with a good defence! N'Dombele probably should have a good run in the side (but is he fit?). Kane playing as a nine and a fit Dele working off him. Son and Moura in the same side probably does not work. Scary that we don't seem to have a decent right back; i'm even tempted to dream about the return of Walker!!!
Son and Moura playing together does not work? Is that what you are saying? Or not sure?
You could ask Ajax about it and they should be able to give you a firm answer

I've been answering your pointless fucking questions for the last 48 hours .
I present you with factual responses and you come back with the same questions worded in another way.

You yourself keep saying Poch should be judged on trophies, yet when Levy's record of 1 fucking league cup in 2 decades is bought up suddenly trophies mean fuck all.

You've lost the argument Sammy. Take it like a man.

But you'll get your wish. Poch will be gone by xmas and the whole charade will start over again
See you won’t address the post, so now it’s the nonsense. 48 hours of answering and three posts after that specific one......but still not that one itself. Why is that?

My wish is that we get the best out the team but if this form continues for half the season then the manager should go.

Your wish is we sell tomorrow to an American or Shiek or Russian billionaire and be just like our rivals and in January buy everything that moves and pay Eriksen 300k a week and suddenly Poch will abandon the diamond and learn all the things he can’t do and we’ll win the quadruple.

Cretin and childish fantasist.

Last edited:
Of course he's not. He's said on numerous occasions he wants to win major titles with Spurs.
If he doesn't think he's gonna get the backing to help him achieve it, he'll move on.
If Levy thinks he's not fulfilling whatever his requirements are, or sees the fanbase turning, he'll be fired.

is footbal
“Best squad since Burkinshaw”
“Shit squad”
“Can’t win trophies without investment, top 4 is a miracle with this squad”

Poch: Top 4 isn’t enough I need a trophy after 6 years

Yet you still agree with Poch somehow

Liverpool got to City's level by spending wisely and sensibly. They realised they had a world class manager and as soon as that penny dropped, they changed their transfer strategy and started really backing him.

Us, on the other handed, waited until this Summer before panicking and finally spending some proper money, arguably 3 years too late.
Our net spend over the last 5 years is higher. Remember, they've been sell to buy as well, and last summer it's fairly clear they spent most of this summer's budget

I'm starting to think you actually relish in our failures just so you have more ammunition to come on here and demean and belittle Poch's achievments.

A little smugness inside you every time we lose.

It's really disappointing to see tbh

The person who couldn't even wait 48 hrs after the CL final, or less than an hour after our first loss this season to start whining about the transfer policy at the club, who was wibbling on with the backpoch hashtag a couple of weeks after we broke our transfer record yet again, calling out others for acting a little smug when we don't win.

That's the pot calling the kettle black.

See you won’t address the post, so now it’s the nonsense. 48 hours of answering and three posts after that specific one......but still not that one itself. Why is that?

My wish is that we get the best out the team but if this form continues for half the season then the manager should go.

Your wish is we sell tomorrow to an American or Shiek or Russian billionaire and be just like our rivals and in January buy everything that moves and pay Eriksen 300k a week and suddenly Poch will abandon the diamond and learn all the things he can’t do and we’ll win the quadruple.

Cretin and childish fantasist.
One of your pointless questions you threw at me yesterday was would klopp or pep be getting a better tune from our squad than Pochettino?

Yet you ask this question knowing full well neither would be on Levy's shortlist to replace Poch if you got your wish to see him sacked..
A prime example of your psychophantic hypocrisy

The amount of venom with which you attack our own manager and players, in contrast to the love and adulation you bestow on the boardroom is bordering on disturbing.

At the end of the day we both agree we're going through an alarming slump in form.
The question being asked is that because Poch has become a poor manager overnight or have years of underspending, culminating in the fiasco last summer, finally taken their toll.

Deep down, Sammy, you know it's not just down to Poch, don't you.
And that realisation must be beating you up inside.

Man up for a change and accept you lost the argument .

It’s such a shame that very few shared this level of concern about winning silverware when we were at our best. It really does lead to bigger questions about the culture at the club and with its supporters.

But it is totally logical, man.
Until the trend is upwards, and we keep getting closer and closer - I'd be okay with things, because you can be confident that tomorrow we will be better than we were yesterday.

Now the trend has turned, this has been going on for quite some time now actually (doesnt matter if you watched goals scored/conceded numbers or our outcomes based on xG) and this is when people get ancious. And maybe regretful of not taking the chance while being the closest.

I'll give you that - I remember you were vocal back then and called for us to take a chance while we were somewhat better poised. Though I will never agree with your sentiment about domestic cups. Reaching CL final is worth more than winning League Cup 10 years in a row ;) .

Back
Top Bottom