Whats gone wrong?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Poch's not up to it / Years of under investment

• Poch not up to it

• Years of under investment

Results are only viewable after voting.
We did say injuries played a part last season absolutely but so far with fitness/ issues preventing us from picking Vertonghen, Foyth, Sessegnon, Aurier, Ndombele, Lo Celso, Eriksen, Dele & Son at least once so far 3 games in can anyone really say that it's a fair comparison compared to our availability record last season?

Tough call to make but I'm yet to see each department, apart from GK be its strongest on paper.

Lloris is our strongest goalkeeper so that's fine, our strongest defence for me isn't KWP, Alderweireld, Sanchez, Rose so that is instantly flimsy, our strongest midfield isn't Winks, Ndombele & Sissoko together so that has question marks over it and our four up top have seen Lucas & Lamela, both squad rotation players get the most minutes along with Kane.

Having Dele & Lo Celso unfit at the same time as leaving Eriksen out has ripped the guts out of our attack. Add Ndombele, Vertonghen and arguably our 1st & 2nd choice RBs in Aurier & Foyth to the list and the frailties are there for all to see.

A Spurs team starting with the likes of KWP, Sanchez, Sissoko, Lucas & Lamela more often than not would be closer to resembling a 4th round Carabao Cup teamsheet. Most have unfortunately had to be the spine of the team most games and as a result it's probably harmed us. We even had to use Nkoudou off the bench at one point, it's mad how many important players haven't been available for all 3 games for whatever reason.
All good points, maybe we start the season as we we left of last season and then we settle down and have a very strong final two thirds of the season.....that’s what I’m hoping for at least.

That is an absolutely fantastic article that hammers home so many truths about our buy to sell policy and the way under valued players are now wising up.
Thanks for sharing.
I could have written that myself.

My personal opinion is that the article isn't a kick in the arse off what's going on. I also suspect it's about the board more than the coaching staff, although I do have some issues with Poch's system. The comments from Trippier about things behind the scenes do ring true and I have a gut feeling that the club maneuvered in such a way as to almost force his hand to leave (unsurprisingly for a massive profit transfer wise).

I still think that it's primarily about economics instead of football with ENIC and currently IMO some cracks are starting to show.

Trippier and Eriksen have been responsible for about a third of our chances created in the past couple of years, need to bed in Lo Celso quickly, especially if Eriksen will be sold.

Levy's likely going to get all kinds of his own medicine come Monday night IMO.

Last edited:
All good points, maybe we start the season as we we left of last season and then we settle down and have a very strong final two thirds of the season.....that’s what I’m hoping for at least.
There’s no reason why not other than things going on behind the scenes that we are not seeing! But this season compared to others we’re as strong as we’ve ever been less Walker, Dembele we are starting the season a lot stronger than previous seasons.

Based on the last 16 league games we'd be 17th in the table.

Either Poch's not up to it or we're paying for years of under investment in the squad.

Which is it?

Ridiculous to say it's one of only two options - driven entirely by your anti Levy and anti ENIC opinions.

"Not one brick' you said................we now have s stadium built which will make us self sufficient for s few years providing we continue at this or a higher level

You must have been asleep last summer not to have noticed 10 of Spurs players getting to last 4 of WC and coming back with no preseason (which is used to build up players fitness slowly so as to avoid muscular injuries such as hamstrings) and guess what ?

A season with players getting hamstrings and with typically 6 or more players unfit it meant no rotation and the inevitable cycle of more injuries.

Come February we seemed to put a lot of energy into the CL campaign which came off with s great run to he final. But at the same time gag run also took a toll on our PL results. But we still got 4th place - so squad cannot be all bad by comparison with other teams.

We have started this season slowly - nothing new over the last 5 years , and a small sample.

I might panic after say 8 or 10 games - hopefully when our current injuries are back

Oh and talking of "underinvestment over years" - why is our squad atm a whole lot better than it was 10 years ago or 20 years ago ?

Very simply Spurs management over the years have done a decent job if building a good squad - not perfect, nothing ever is. But the facts we have been in the top 4 for the last 5 years shows the lie ( or gross misrepresentation ) of your phrase " under investment in the squad" - if that were the case all the other PL clubs would have overtaken us, instead Spurs have overtaken the likes of ManU and Chelsea

The Fighting Cock on Sunday night if we get smoked will be brutal
Agree.
giphy.gif

Get the European TW closed then we can talk to the likes of Eriksen, Alderweireld, Vertonghen to see if they want to stay and sign new contracts which Spurs will put to them.

If they do great.

If they don't it's the up to Poch to manage those players.

At the moment I get the sense he's having to humour some if those players by playing the to encourage them to play, rather than others. And that is probably what is frustrating Poch now.

But that stops in a week. That's when I expect Poch and the players to start to act more as a cohesive group

He ought to get with the times. If it's good enough for Klopp and Guardiola, it sure as shit should be good enough for him.

Don’t forget this nonsense though:

“At Manchester City and Liverpool, Pep Guardiola and Jurgen Klopp are free to decide which players they want and which they do not,” said Pochettino.

“On the other hand, at other clubs such as Tottenham, Chelsea or Woolwich, the configuration of the playing staff is not in the hands of the managers. The person who decides, in our case, is the president.”

Back
Top Bottom