Club Or Country?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Would you prefer your country won a world cup or Spurs won the league?

• Club

Votes: 79 85.9%
  • Country

Votes: 13 14.1%

• Total voters
Don’t argue the toss with me; argue it with the Irish that have an issue with it. I can assure you it is so; and at least one other on this thread has agreed - many do not accept the use of Eire.

Not arguing with you, only saying that it is the official term for ROI in Irish
As I said I'm not bothered.

Not arguing with you, only saying that it is the official term for ROI in Irish
As I said I'm not bothered.

And I am disagreeing: the country is called Éireann; and for having taken a few licks from drunken Irishmen in Camden in 98 it will always be Éireann.

Come to think of it, your source is flawed: wiki states clearly that there are discrepancies between the English and Irish text of the constitution therefore I rest my case Mr. Steve.

Éireann. :vdvshh:

And I am disagreeing: the country is called Éireann; and for having taken a few licks from drunken Irishmen in Camden in 98 it will always be Éireann.

Come to think of it, your source is flawed: wiki states clearly that there are discrepancies between the English and Irish text of the constitution therefore I rest my case Mr. Steve. :vdvshh:
Oh dear, how wrong can you be.

This is the constitution in English.

ARTICLE 4

The name of the State is Éire, or, in the English language, Ireland.

And in case you're in any doubt. This from the actual constitution of ROI in IRISH.

AirteaGal 4
Éire is ainm don stát nó, sa sacs-Bhéarla, Ireland.

So the Irish constitution specifically states that the name for Ireland in Irish is Eire.

I would suggest that the drunken Irishmen who gave you a few licks were Irish nationalists who got upset by the term Eire as it refers only and specifically to the ROI and does not include NI.

I'll accept your apology that you were wrong. Unless of course you are going to dispute this source as well.
:kaneear:

Is it just me that thinks major international championships of years gone by introduced some fantastic, never heard of before players to the world?
Now a days it’s stats up to the eyeballs and a who’s who of international football superstars..... I mean when your sitting in a pub and over hear local English men arguing about who Holland or Belgium or fucking Germany should select for the upcoming squad you know at that point the international game has lost something, English men debating at length who other squads should pick, Jesus we shouldn’t even know who plays for them let alone debate them......

Na, the international game has become too FIFA 20, its no fun anymore, maybe that’s the price paid for the top 6 having 75% internationals in their squads, we fucking know every player now!!

Oh dear, how wrong can you be.

This is the constitution in English.

ARTICLE 4

The name of the State is Éire, or, in the English language, Ireland.

And in case you're in any doubt. This from the actual constitution of ROI in IRISH.

AirteaGal 4
Éire is ainm don stát nó, sa sacs-Bhéarla, Ireland.

So the Irish constitution specifically states that the name for Ireland in Irish is Eire.

I would suggest that the drunken Irishmen who gave you a few licks were Irish nationalists who got upset by the term Eire as it refers only and specifically to the ROI and does not include NI.

I'll accept your apology that you were wrong. Unless of course you are going to dispute this source as well.
:kaneear:

Are you the same person that claimed to be making a comment but “didn’t really care - not really bothered ?” Well I refer the dishonourable gentleman to the post posted by Mercurial No.10:

Éire is the name for the country, Éireann is the whole island (2 countries).

Ireland is Eireann
I trust that you have a pipe. :vdvshh:

Last edited:
Are you the same person that claimed to be making a comment but “didn’t really care - not really bothered ?” Well I refer the dishonourable gentleman to the post posted by Mercurial No.10:

I trust you have a pipe. :vdvshh:

Oh dear your're even contradicting yourself now.
I refer you to your own post.

I agree with Mercurial

Éire is the name for the country, Éireann is the whole island (2 countries).

:dembelelol: :dembelelol: :dembelelol:

Oh dear your're even contradicting yourself now.
I refer you to your own post.

I agree with Mercurial

:dembelelol: :dembelelol: :dembelelol:

You’re a knob:

Ireland is one country is the point. Why else would it offend some to say otherwise. The north of Ireland housing the occupied counties.
And I’m not accepting Eire just as the nationalists and republicans seemingly don’t!

Do you support the actions of the IRA?

Do I support the fact that paramilitary organisations on both sides of the divide have long since laid down their weapons and today discuss their differences over the debating table instead; absolutely I support the actions of the IRA. it was a courageous shift.

Had they not negotiated with the British government and forced their rivals to do the same the so-called troubles would never have ceased.

But this thread is about club or country in terms of main support not stances on political ideology or sectarianism. :roseunsure:

Do I support the fact that paramilitary organisations on both sides of the divide have long since laid down their weapons and today discuss their differences over the debating table instead; absolutely I support the actions of the IRA. it was a courageous shift.

Had they not negotiated with the British government and forced their rivals to do the same the so-called troubles would never have ceased.

But this thread is about club or country in terms of main support not stances on political ideology or sectarianism. :roseunsure:
Fucking hell.

I've read some utter shite on here, this takes first place.

Fucking hell.

I've read some utter shite on here, this takes first place.

Try qualifying that with an insightful expose’ of where I’m actually talking shit or forever hold your tongue on threads where more that two syllables are in common usage. :vdvshh:

Is it just me that thinks major international championships of years gone by introduced some fantastic, never heard of before players to the world?
Now a days it’s stats up to the eyeballs and a who’s who of international football superstars..... I mean when your sitting in a pub and over hear local English men arguing about who Holland or Belgium or fucking Germany should select for the upcoming squad you know at that point the international game has lost something, English men debating at length who other squads should pick, Jesus we shouldn’t even know who plays for them let alone debate them......

Na, the international game has become too FIFA 20, its no fun anymore, maybe that’s the price paid for the top 6 having 75% internationals in their squads, we fucking know every player now!!
The 1998 World Cup was the last one that had any mystique about it. There's so much football on TV and online these days that there are rarely any unknowns or a player you're desperate to see for the first time. I remember my school mates and myself all playing CM97/98 and being desperate to see Denilson play for the first time. You don't get that anymore.

Back
Top Bottom