Club Or Country?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Would you prefer your country won a world cup or Spurs won the league?

• Club

Votes: 79 85.9%
  • Country

Votes: 13 14.1%

• Total voters
Noone said it was mutually exclusive. But the whole point of the thread is "would you prefer...?"

I'm basing my response on England naturally through my own situation and experiences.
I think that's exactly the point... and one that you only truly know the answer to, when you experience watching both.
I've eaten a full roast dinner before whilst watching an England game at home...
But due to sheer nervous energy (and not wanting to miss a second) I don't think I could bear the idea of actually eating anything during a Spurs game... and therein lies the difference for me!!

I think that's exactly the point... and one that you only truly know the answer to, when you experience watching both.
I've eaten a full roast dinner before whilst watching an England game at home...
But due to sheer nervous energy (and not wanting to miss a second) I don't think I could bear the idea of actually eating anything during a Spurs game... and therein lies the difference for me!!
Never thought of it like that, but you're completely spot on :)

If you'd rather your club win over your country, then gluttony really does have you by the man balls.

Now go and eat your prawn sandwich you prick!

I’d rather we win a reserve ladies match than Scotland winning the World Cup. Doubt I could name half a dozen of the Scotland team. And I’ve just realised I don’t know who the manager is. I don’t care enough to google it.

Never thought of it like that, but you're completely spot on :)
I tried to eat a full roast dinner once whilst watching Wales. It was terrible, this guy nudged me and my roasters rolled off the plate onto the terraces then we scored and the crowd surged so I spilt all my gravy down this guys shirt collar ( he was not best pleased, had to give him my yorkshire pudding to calm him down). Finally it went quiet and I managed to eat a slice of beef and a few peas before we scored another and the plate went flying.....never again.

Last edited:
I tried to eat a full roast dinner once whilst watching Wales. It was terrible, this guy nudged me and my roasters rolled off the plate onto the terraces then we scored and the crowd surged so I spilt all my gravy down this guys shirt collar ( he was not best pleased, had to give him my yorkshire pudding to calm him down). Finally it went quiet and I managed to eat a slice of beef and a few peas before we scored another and the plate went flying.....never again.
EXACTLY my point!

Thats why security don't let you take a roast dinner into a ground any more!!

Part of me really hates it when England do well at the World Cup - all of a sudden there are people talking about it as if they know the ins and outs of the game, when at any other time they have no interest whatsoever.

I’d rather we win a reserve ladies match than Scotland winning the World Cup. Doubt I could name half a dozen of the Scotland team. And I’ve just realised I don’t know who the manager is. I don’t care enough to google it.
It’s Steve Clark. Heard it on a podcast. Who knew eh? Well, apart from Pat Nevin. He did.

None of that explains this....

I suppose you mean British people specifically.

Not specifically but just anyone who is actively involved in supporting a club. Personally; Tottenham is a priority in life. It goes in the calendar and life tends to work around it. Most season ticket holders and thousands of others will be the same.

I'm way with work this week - England play on Tuesday and I won't be able to watch it but I couldn't give less than a fuck. Had it been a Tottenham game I'd have rescheduled the trip.

So what means more? It's not even close.

From the USA you might have a different take on it; for many different reasons. The situation and comparisons are very different.

Why would they be offended it's Ireland in irish.
I was in West Germany euro 88 and if it wasn't for the linesman and a bounce of a ball Shane warne would of been proud of we would have knocked out Holland and there would have been no Van Basten goal in the final.

I’m not Irish but those that have said it is offensive are and I do believe the term in Irish is Eireann.

Back
Top Bottom